Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Can we get improved server fidelity for torpedoes? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=143983)

Archived Post 03-26-2010 03:23 PM

Can we get improved server fidelity for torpedoes?

With the seemingly improved lethality of torpedoes, can we get better server tracking of these deadly orbs? There is nothing worse than seeing them inbound, go to activate some kinetic damage buff and find out they've already or will deliver the damage prior to impact.

It appears this short coming in matching up impacts with damage delivery will be even more dangerous for players...especially the light vessels and cloaking/cloaked vessels.

How can we defend against a torpedo if we cant judge damage delivery as a close corellation to time of impact?

I'd also like to still propose that their be some model for an increase in chance to miss for torpedoes once a ship cloaks, with the largets chance to miss eing once the vessel is fully cloaked(3 secs after inititation of the cloak)...thats assuming their isnt something like this already in place.

Archived Post 03-27-2010 01:04 AM

You have to apply the buff before launching not after. If you are talking defensive it,s simple apply when you see them inbound, even better shoot them down. Damage = 0

Archived Post 03-27-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevscar (Post 2450722)
You have to apply the buff before launching not after. If you are talking defensive it,s simple apply when you see them inbound, even better shoot them down. Damage = 0

Aw come on...really? I should have to activate a 8 sec Brace for Impact defense before the torpedoes are launched? Why is being smart about the use of my defense consider unacceptable? Why shouldnt I be able to alert my crew to brace for impact after the torpedoes have been launched and prior to impact?

Why should I take damage from a torpedo that wasntg even visible because I sped away, and then fine that Ive taken damage from it before it even draws in or shortly after it draws in on my screen way out in the distance?

Thats like saying, "to defend against FBP is to stop firing your beams before you see the blue glow on the target ship".

Archived Post 03-27-2010 04:01 PM

LoL. Yeah, I can get over applying an Engineering Team or something early on but there comes a point where all this prebuffing just doesn't seem either effective or even intelligent. You can't go into the fight with every buff you have blown because you think someone might launch a torpedo.

That being said, I don't feel like the server is to blame for the most part. I know my video card has messed me up when graphics are set too high. Solar Winds has also been an issue but that's been at any graphics card setting. For me there is just a lot of stuff going on. Sometimes I'm quick to notice and sometimes I'm not.

Archived Post 03-27-2010 04:23 PM

If I understand them correctly, the new coold down model might make wasting a buff as a pre-emptive defense/pre-buff makes this evem more unacceptable.edit: The new cool down rules dont look to be an issue

Graphic wise its not my vid card...I blow away game requirements...it only happens with torpedoes...especially if they have a long way/time to travel. Basically, as best as I can determine, torpedoes apply thier damage on impact or after a certain time has elapsed in flight...weither they have actually impacted or not. Apparently the torpedo's succesful impact is calculated at launch or shortly after launch(the elapsed time).

This means you left trying to defend against an attack that is all but pre-determined unless you defend against it early on in the flight...kind of hard to do since this means being up close to the launcher and their speed of flight.

So you kind of accept the difficulty in defending against a close ramge launch. But long range shots and shots in flight while the target is at high speed(evasive maneuvers, engine battery, etc) should be your best to defend against them since you have and distance to see and defend...but the way torpedoes deliver/calculate damage means you can take the damage before they are even visible or anywhere close to you.

Archived Post 03-27-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevscar (Post 2450722)

This is nonsense.

In truth--this is a long-term issue with the Cryptic Engine. Champions Online has had the SAME EXACT problem its entire life-span. It isn't a bandwidth issue either--its completely server-side. Cryptic just hasn't been able to fix it and now we're seeing it in Star Trek Online.

The first time I saw this damage result before the torpedo had gotten anywhere near me I thought to myself, "Good grief! They still haven't figured this out."

Archived Post 03-27-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickSh0t
This is nonsense.

In truth--this is a long-term issue with the Cryptic Engine. Champions Online has had the SAME EXACT problem its entire life-span. It isn't a bandwidth issue either--its completely server-side. Cryptic just hasn't been able to fix it and now we're seeing it in Star Trek Online.

The first time I saw this damage result before the torpedo had gotten anywhere near me I thought to myself, "Good grief! They still haven't figured this out."

Damn:(...so we are pretty much screwed by having one of the highest burst damage weapons in game act as if it operates within its own bubble of reality.

Archived Post 03-28-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocoa-jin (Post 2456721)
Aw come on...really? I should have to activate a 8 sec Brace for Impact defense before the torpedoes are launched? Why is being smart about the use of my defense consider unacceptable? Why shouldnt I be able to alert my crew to brace for impact after the torpedoes have been launched and prior to impact?

Why should I take damage from a torpedo that wasntg even visible because I sped away, and then fine that Ive taken damage from it before it even draws in or shortly after it draws in on my screen way out in the distance?

Thats like saying, "to defend against FBP is to stop firing your beams before you see the blue glow on the target ship".

if you read my post properly you will see that I state if defensive use when you see the torp incoming. Of course any smart that is the word you used isn't it Captain would shoot them down. It's not hard to do and it's a one shot kill. Of course if you have no situational awareness and don't see them coming thats your fault.
What it sounds like is that for some reason you are suffering from lag so that they hit and do damage before you actually see them. That may or may not be a problem at your end because I can't remember the last time I had lag and I'm in the UK.

Archived Post 03-28-2010 01:19 AM

something about a torpedo critting for 8-10 times it's base damage seems a little off, and scary. seeing as they can oneshot people that aren't at full health I would argue for your topic, as well as that they need a nerf (because really, a litteral oneshot is balanced :rolleyes:).

/support