Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Borg Hunt: Suggested Improvements (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=148907)

Archived Post 04-07-2010 02:11 PM

Borg Hunt: Suggested Improvements

The Borg Hunt Zone of Ker'rat and N'Vok need to be looked at again. Borg ships embedded inside the Nodes and making it troublesome for people to scan them. Also, the way the zone is arranged, it's ripe for dishonorable practices like taking advantage of others by scoring points or killing them, when they are already engaged in PvE. (Yes, I know this is PvP. But even by Klingon Doctrine (TNG) it's dishonorable to take advantage of the weak).

With N'Vok, it's all Klingon vs Klingon, since Federation players aren't allowed in Klingon space. So if they want real competition, they have to go to Ker'rat, which usually means they likely won't succeed in winning, due to the heavy Federation population.

So what I propose is this:

1) Remove the Borg Hunt from Ker'rat and N'Vok and put it on a world in a real Neutral Location (perhaps the Cursa system). This will increase the Klingon vs Federation competition, instead of the current Red vs Blue.

2) Give Klingons seperate zone-ins from the Federation.

3) Give Federation and Kingons seperate objectives and put those objectives on the opposite side of the zone. So Klingons have to go to the Federation side to complete their objectives and Federation having to go to the Klingon side to complete their objectives.

4) Nodes can only be scanned until the Borg Protectors are defeated at that node.

5) Rewards are no longer individual-based scores.

6) Bonus objectives (which makes the mission much more difficult) yield rewards that are different from the standard Exploration or PvP rewards. (Like Efficient Impulse Engines or Rare consoles (not necessarily as Blue Rare, but rare drop like Anti Proton consoles).

Any other ideas are welcome to improving this idea or this zone.

Archived Post 04-07-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

4) Nodes can only be scanned until the Borg Protectors are defeated at that node.
I think it's half the fun that you don't have to engage the borg around a node and you can instead try to outmaneuver them or use teamwork. Of course a member of the other faction can steal it from you that way, too. But somehow this doesn't bother me. I don't want the standard "kill everything that moves" mission.

The worst problem are the bugged probes/spheres/cubes hiding inside the node and still shooting at you, and he unbalanced population (1 Klingon vs 5 Feds? Good luck...). The spawn point is another issue, but not as glaring as the previous two. (it's more of an annoyance and increases the frustration for those in the minority and getting shot down at the spawn point...)

Of course, they need to look at the loot drops at higher tiers, too.

Archived Post 04-07-2010 02:32 PM

I loved being able to use Mask Energy Signature to skirt past borgs and scan the nodes. However, with Season One nerf MES again I haven't been able to.

Archived Post 04-07-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azurian (Post 2523204)

That would be really annoying.
Edit: Even more when you consider then half of the Borg are stuck in the world and are untargetable.

Archived Post 04-07-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azurian
2) Give Klingons seperate zone-ins from the Federation.

Probably? The outnumbered at spawn thing is only fun when you're not hit by 3 subnucleonic beams, 2 viral matrixes, and a tractor beam.

Quote:

3) Give Federation and Kingons seperate objectives and put those objectives on the opposite side of the zone. So Klingons have to go to the Federation side to complete their objectives and Federation having to go to the Klingon side to complete their objectives.

That sounds good, in theory?

Quote:

Meh.

Quote:

5) Rewards are no longer individual-based scores.

Maybe? The current system kind of rewards working against your teammates to scan more nodes/kill more hulks. That's kind of backwards, but it is a different style of play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoberraz
I loved being able to use Mask Energy Signature to skirt past borgs and scan the nodes. However, with Season One nerf MES again I haven't been able to.

You can probably still do that. If the borg are on the opposite side of the node than you, they can't hit you with weapons, so you can un-MES, then scan the node, then fly off. I've had pretty good success doing that with cloak, MES, bad as it is, should work the same way against NPC ships. Of course, half the time, the spheres aren't on the opposite side, they're on the inside, so they'll just fly through the node then shoot you. >_>

Another horrifically good improvement would be fixing the player ships on the wrong faction bug. >_<

Archived Post 04-08-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainfacer (Post 2523812)
Another horrifically good improvement would be fixing the player ships on the wrong faction bug. >_<

Agreed, I think I've only been in one instance where this didn't happen!

While we're on the topic of Borg Hunt bugs, I was in an instance a couple of days ago where all the Borg were -44 to me (RA5), and a -23 Klingon was in the instance too. I forgot to bug it in game, if it happens again I will do so. Anyone else experienced anything like this?