Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   More new ships on the way? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=150904)

Archived Post 04-15-2010 12:43 AM

More new ships on the way?
 
Just picked up the new ships from the C-Store. I'm hoping we're going to be seeing a lot more in the future. Like maybe some of the lesser seen but still iconic classes like the Excelsior Class for new starship Commanders?...

Actually, I also liked the idea mentioned in one of the other threads about simply being able to keep a single ship throughout all your teirs via upgrades if you desired to do so. At this point, in my opinion mind you, both the tier 3's and the tier 5's are all hideous.

Archived Post 04-15-2010 03:25 AM

I think the idea is good in some regards, because it would make the game more interesting to see some smaller ships in high end content, but on the other hand, I don't really want to see a Constitution kicking the crap out of a Sovereign, that would just completely devalue what it means to command an assault cruiser as opposed to a ship that's only still in service because there is a war going on.

Archived Post 04-15-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rothnang
I think the idea is good in some regards, because it would make the game more interesting to see some smaller ships in high end content, but on the other hand, I don't really want to see a Constitution kicking the crap out of a Sovereign, that would just completely devalue what it means to command an assault cruiser as opposed to a ship that's only still in service because there is a war going on.

Kirk probably thought the same thing when his Constitution class cruiser got its butt kicked by an inferior Miranda captained by Khan. I could see a refitted Constitution be a match for a higher tiered ship.

Archived Post 04-15-2010 04:16 AM

The reason why Khan was able to cripple the enterprise was because they had their shield down when Khan opened fire, not because he complained to Roddenberry until his Miranda became as powerful as a Constitution.

If you want to blow up a Sovereign with a Constitution and you can do so with a clever ruse, more power to you. Just demanding that the Constitution should have 8 weapons slots, a high powered shield grid and several times its hull points all the sudden so that it can stand toe to toe with an assault cruiser on the other hand... that has nothing to do with using a trick to overcome a more powerful enemy, that's just taking away the difference between the two ships completely.


Proposing that low tier ships get to compete on an even playing field with high tiered ones is demanding that a David and Goliath scenario is resolved by David growing 8 feet tall and taking on Goliath in a bare knuckle boxing match.

Archived Post 04-15-2010 10:48 AM

interesting
 
yes the constitution did take major damage but i recall kirk was still able to destroy khans ship as well as out smart him . khan was a super human along with his BO having far greater intellect then that of the enterprise BO. in a one on one match a miranda wouldnt last againt a constitution.

On a related note I do think the star ship achillies as well as other star trek game ships should be included. The nebula and ambassador. these two ships i mention as still in service by the late 2380. If the constitution is still around then I would think so are these ships. The excelsior class is really inside sto just under a variant design. Excaliber Vespers. these are the upgrades to the ship

achillies: dominion war tactical ship
nebula: Galaxy class suppliment with various star ship roles

Archived Post 04-16-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis (Post 2558140)
yes the constitution did take major damage but i recall kirk was still able to destroy khans ship as well as out smart him . khan was a super human along with his BO having far greater intellect then that of the enterprise BO. in a one on one match a miranda wouldnt last againt a constitution.

On a related note I do think the star ship achillies as well as other star trek game ships should be included. The nebula and ambassador. these two ships i mention as still in service by the late 2380. If the constitution is still around then I would think so are these ships. The excelsior class is really inside sto just under a variant design. Excaliber Vespers. these are the upgrades to the ship

achillies: dominion war tactical ship
nebula: Galaxy class suppliment with various star ship roles

Maranda Class ships were involved in the Dominion war.. And still took out dominion ships..


They just couldn't stand up to getting HIT very much.. lol

Archived Post 04-17-2010 05:39 PM

well i just dont get the problem as all they need is to just make the skins available, like the stuff that are in C-store now.

They dont have to make a new ship, just use say defiant skin for any T5 escort, that way all those that want that gets it.
Same with connie (my god it is fugly tbh)
or miranda, vesper, excelsior and so fourth, i just dont see why that is so hard to do for cryptic?

Archived Post 04-17-2010 10:42 PM

no the t5 constituiton skin is a bad idea. enjoy they ships you get at the levels you get them. problem is that you can only push old frames so far. you can only put so much in a box. you already can place mk x equipment in your lower tier ships. they wont and shouldnt get bigger to hold more gear.
also there is a big post for the excelsior. im sure cryptic know that it is needed. /rant off
give them some slack and im sure all good thing will come to pass.

Archived Post 04-17-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Decatur
no the t5 constituiton skin is a bad idea. enjoy they ships you get at the levels you get them. problem is that you can only push old frames so far. you can only put so much in a box. you already can place mk x equipment in your lower tier ships. they wont and shouldnt get bigger to hold more gear.
also there is a big post for the excelsior. im sure cryptic know that it is needed. /rant off
give them some slack and im sure all good thing will come to pass.

I would also like to compare ship sizes. there is no way in hell a constitution could possibly be made to face an avenger class star cruiser.

ramming speed would be like a fly hitting an 18-wheeler going down the local highway.

Archived Post 04-18-2010 04:25 AM

What about if cryptic enhanced the crafting system? If you could dry dock your favourite ship and upgrade it with say for example a max of 4 console slots and an increase in BOPS but the more you upgrade the ship the more it costs you in credits AND the anomoly thingies.
You could if you had enough design your own ship and this if it is good enough go be placed on the market as a purchasable ship at a certain level.
Just a thought..........


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 PM.