Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Engineering - Combat Supply (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=150916)

Archived Post 04-15-2010 02:32 AM

Engineering - Combat Supply

When using the Combat Supply skill with the Engineering kit, the items that show up in the Power Tray have to be moved to the Toolbar to use. But when you use Combat supply repeatedly, it never ends up in the same slots.

So the Toolbar needs refinement so that they always end up in the same spot, else it distracts people in the middle of combat in opening up the tray in order to find the consumables, drag them to the toolbar, in order to use.

Archived Post 04-15-2010 03:46 AM

Great ... just what we need ... another Auxiliary to Battery "jump through these extra hoops to use this ability" skill ... for Engineers. :(

I was contemplating rolling up another Engineering Captain and was looking at the Combat Supply skill for BOffs and kept wondering ... "how would that work?" :confused:

Archived Post 04-15-2010 05:14 AM

The toolbar setup for Combat Supply seems a bit wonky. It appears that the icons that appear whenever the ability is triggered are NOT always the same three... but different copies of those three icons. You need to get your bar set up so that each potential copy of an icon gets assigned to its proper slot.

Upshot: You need to drag the items from the power listing to your tray multiple times to get it set up right, but they DO "stick" eventually.

I can attest to this personally, having used Combat Supply several hundred times over the past week or so in Infected/The Cure (The Breach Engineer PermaDrone + Mortar + Spammable allied Shield Recharge setup is a very handy combo even without the free skittles from Combat Supply). The three icons always appear in the same place for me now - slot 6 for Hypo, 7 for Shield and 8 for Power Cell on my second row of ground abilities.

I assume that this has something to do with the "chance" nature of Combat Supply; depending on luck (and possibly invested skill levels) you can get a Hypo, a Hypo and a Shield, a Hypo and a Power Cell, or a Hypo and a Shield and a Power Cell. It's not inconcievable that each of those combinations be coded with seperate icons, and "copies" of each combo may even appear multiple times.

Archived Post 04-15-2010 08:44 AM

if you extend your hotbar to three columns you generally catch whichever of them launch

Archived Post 04-15-2010 09:23 AM

For me it never shows up at all, unless i get it from the menu every time.

I use combat supply, then pull it down on the bar.
Then next time i use it its gone again, and i have to pull it from the menu again.

Archived Post 04-15-2010 11:20 AM

i had that issue at first. this is what I did to fix it. clear 3 spots on your bar then manually trigger the ability, see if they go in the bar. if so then you should be set. Also check to see if your bar is LOCKED. if it is, try unlocking it. the GF had the same thing she unlocked it and it now works

Archived Post 04-15-2010 04:25 PM

Does Combat Supply only give the skittles to yourself only, or does it spread the love to your BOffs too? If you have a BOff with Combat Supply, do they "keep" the skittles for themselves, do they give them to you, or do they give them to everyone in range? Bear in mind that if they're going to keep the skittles, they'll need inventory space to hold them ...

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I might run an experiment for it on Tribble. :rolleyes:

Archived Post 04-15-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red.Line (Post 2559477)
Does Combat Supply only give the skittles to yourself only, or does it spread the love to your BOffs too? If you have a BOff with Combat Supply, do they "keep" the skittles for themselves, do they give them to you, or do they give them to everyone in range? Bear in mind that if they're going to keep the skittles, they'll need inventory space to hold them ...

Haven't tried it myself yet, but I might run an experiment for it on Tribble. :rolleyes:

it only gives skittles to the actual players. keep in mind that these are everlasting skittles (well, not that it makes a difference anymore, dumb 30 second timer) that you can eat forever.

also, I don't think that boffs have the skittle supply.

Archived Post 04-15-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faithborn
if you extend your hotbar to three columns you generally catch whichever of them launch

Oh I do, but last night I discvoered that its no longer 2 spots but 3. And it's not convienent for the others on your team to fiddle for them as well, especially in combat.

Hence the post, where Cryptic could arrange something where they appear in the same slot per engineer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red.Line (Post 2559477)

I don't think they do, but one time I swore my BO used one of the hypos from the kit.

And the items disappear after a minute, so you can't stockpile them.

Archived Post 04-16-2010 08:07 PM

Ran an experiment on this skill over on Tribble. I bought Combat Supply I from the vendor for one of my Engineer BOffs, trained it up to 9 ... and then went cruising the Delta Volantis Nebula for a ground map where I could have my BOffs on an away team.

I was rather surprised by the behavior(s) this skill exhibited when on a BOff.

The first thing is that just like with Medical Generators, your BOff will want to use this skill every time it has completed cooldown, whether you're in combat or not. All things considered ... this is something I really can't object to all that much. It basically means that in the hands of a BOff, this skill is on autofire.

The second thing that I noticed is that the Buff Icon telling you who has received the benefit of using this skill ... showed up on EVERYONE. The icon for Combat Supply showed up on the casting BOff, it showed up on me, it showed up on the entire away team (who was just standing around while I watched this happen, just to test the behavior). So pretty clearly, this skill behaves like an AoE or a PBAoE of some sort. Tribble went down for maintenance before I could investigate this point further.

The PROBLEM though is that because the skill adds power cells/hyposprays/shield charges to your Abilities list and drops the hotkeys for them into your tray(s) ... ONLY PLAYERS can make use of the buffs this skill allows. There is no "item" which gets equipped into the Devices slots on your character, nor on your BOffs. This means that BOffs can't make use of the temporary items that this skill produces.

Worse yet, the buff options themselves don't "stick around" all that long if you don't use them. For a BOff, the recharge on Combat Supply I was 30 seconds. The individual items produced offered an effect that was hard to verify in terms of duration and would put ALL power cells, hypos and shield charges into global cooldown for 15 seconds or so. The "temp" abilities themselves only lasted about 20 seconds(?) or so, which meant that if you were very quick you could use 2 of the 3 items produced by Combat Supply before they expired.

One very nice thing was that at Combat Supply I rank 9 ... my Engineer was consistently granting me a small power cell, a small hypo and a small shield charge ... EVERY TIME. I went through several cycles (about 5 minutes worth) and every single time I got "one of each" of the temp powers. Due to the "use or lose" expiration date on them, combined with the global cooldown using one of them incurred (even on the non-temporary versions), there was no way I'd be able to use all 3 buffs from a single 30 second cycle of Combat Supply ... but if I was quick I could use 2 out of 3 ... and if I was slow, I still had my pick of 1 out of 3 ... every 30 seconds.

Combat Supply I grants the Small buffs of +33%.
Combat Supply II grants the Medium buffs of +66%, and is only obtainable from BOff Rewards.
Combat Supply III grants the Large buffs of +100%, and requires the Field Logistics engineering ground skill (player Tier 5) be raised to 9 in order to train your Engineer BOff in this skill, which is EXPENSIVE! :eek:

If you get this skill for a BOff, there's no point in doubling up on it ... due to the global cooldown(s) it incurs against the buffs it produces. Furthermore, the buff batteries this skill produces are self-only ... you can't "hand off" the power cell to one of your BOffs, and you can't select a BOff to cast the temporary powers onto. In solo play, this effectively becomes a Captain Only buffing power ... but in Team Play could become far more useful, since it buffs an entire group (of players, effectively). In Fleet Actions though, you'd need to have Combat Supply on your own personal Kit, rather than on an engineering BOff.

Upon reflection, this skill is both less ... and more ... than what I'd been expecting, when trained on a BOff.