Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Graphical and Sound Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   What happened after the big patch? ATI fps probs with HD 5450 (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=151599)

Archived Post 04-17-2010 08:41 PM

What happened after the big patch? ATI fps probs with HD 5450

Hi all,

I stopped playing STO about a month ago because PC blew up. That was before the 2gig patch and it was running fine even though I had Core 2 Duo Extreme Quad Core 2.66 with ATI Radeon 4870 card, 2GB RAM and Vista.

Now I have i5 750 2.66 with ATI 5450 card, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 and the FPS is diabolical whenever I go in a mission with a planet with asteroid rings. Even though my PC spec is better than before. It drops to 5-6 fps! Although in other missions with "open-ish" space its ok: 30-40 fps. Still overall I find it strangely sluggish. I read one Alt-Tab solution on the forums but that hasn't helped. I tried window / fullscreen, even lowering the resolution, max fps or not etc, no joy. I have downloaded the latest drivers/Catalyst.

Must be something else. Any ideas please? Oh and in game Video Options, under Troubleshooting I have Video Card options - Auto; HD 5450 #1; and HD 5450 #2 ! Anyone else have that?

Many thanks.

Archived Post 04-18-2010 12:32 AM

Shut off Dynamic Lighting. ATI cards have a problem with this right now.

Archived Post 04-18-2010 03:03 AM

As the poster above said, switch DL off on the ground, and when in space you can enable it again, its obviously some type of issue with the game itself so it no doubt will need to be addressed properly by the Dev's with a fix for all.

Archived Post 04-18-2010 04:30 AM

Thanks but it's not the Dynamic Lighting. I have tried that already. I even scaled the settings to LOW, where DL is already automatically off.

Any other ideas? Anyone else had the same issues?

Archived Post 04-18-2010 03:43 PM

Known Issue

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=137007

I, too, am experiencing this issue. It's rumored that this issue is resolved on the Tribble Server. I'm patching now to find out.

Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.33GHz (39C)
3GB DDR2 800
SATA3 HDDs (32 C and 36 C in temps respectively)
nVidia GeForce 9600GT (51C)
Creative Audigy SE
Gigabyte G41C Motherboard

Archived Post 04-18-2010 04:01 PM

I can confirm that it's still happening, even on Tribble. The opening tutorial is completely unplayable even at lowest settings.

In comparison, EVE Online, Team Fortress 2 (and other source games), UT3, etc, all play perfectly at maximum settings.

Archived Post 05-01-2010 01:15 AM

I'm having the same problem. I stopped playing for awhile then came back and had to download a big patch. The graphics were fine before but now space is flickering different colors and the game has become unplayable. I am using an ATI Radeon 4800 and I downloaded the newest driver and the game is still flickering different colors in space. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Archived Post 05-01-2010 01:24 AM

The problem I keep having is that although the FPS counter shows something like 50fps, it really feels more like 25fps. I had found out that disabling "framerate stabilizer" and "auto-stabilize framerate" gets rid of the stuttering and makes the game run much more smoothly, while FPS stayed the same. With the patch that came out a few days ago, it's back to stuttering at ~50fps, although the former mentioned two options are still disabled.

I don't know why Cryptic promises us fixes, yet keep making matters worse. Maybe they're just clueless as to what's going on.

Oh yeah, Radeon 4890 here.

Archived Post 05-02-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasseBlutstroemen
The problem I keep having is that although the FPS counter shows something like 50fps, it really feels more like 25fps. I had found out that disabling "framerate stabilizer" and "auto-stabilize framerate" gets rid of the stuttering and makes the game run much more smoothly, while FPS stayed the same. With the patch that came out a few days ago, it's back to stuttering at ~50fps, although the former mentioned two options are still disabled.

I don't know why Cryptic promises us fixes, yet keep making matters worse. Maybe they're just clueless as to what's going on.

Oh yeah, Radeon 4890 here.

Run STO in windowed mode, then use a couple of gadgets to monitor your CPU and GPU usage. At least then you'll be able to see where the problem is. If you're getting high framerates and things still feel jerky, it could be that your CPU is not up to the task.

Could be. Not certainly, could be.

Archived Post 05-02-2010 04:32 PM

Many have been asking for Cryptic to fix the bad slowdown etc for the 'M' chips , they have never even bothered to do that and it anoys me , we have to run ground more or less with the lowest setings , even though we can play every other game out there on max , Cryptic dont care soon players wont.