Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Self Destruct... next? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=152269)

Archived Post 04-20-2010 11:59 PM

Self Destruct... next?

I was rather surprised that no one seems to have brought this up thus far, and I first noticed it after the patch that nerfed SD, and though: Since it's useless, why do we still have it?
NOW, with the coming DP, I further think it is a redundant admiral skill. So, what to do? Well, I propose simply adding a new skill in it's place. Perhaps a poll on new skill ideas taken from everything people (hopefully) suggest here?

I racked my brain to think of something to replace SD, and I found it hard to come up with something that wouldn't drastically affect the already drastically affected gameplay. So, how's this suggestion: Just like the ground skill, replace it with a space skill to reset the timers, which of course takes longer itself to reset (the ground skill takes 120sec, yes?), seems simple enough, yes? I know it would be usefull in PvE, STF and PvP, so, thoughts?

Also, I never brought it up because I though it was a glitch, and I didn't petition it as I still have unanswered petitions (thanks though for sorting the ones you did, beers on me), and then finally I read a bunch of other people talking about the useless SD skill, so it's not just me :p

/end wall of text

Archived Post 04-21-2010 12:28 AM

Personally I think the DP is a great chance to add utility back into SD.

If you use it before your ship goes boom perhaps it can reduce the severity of your injury or reduce the % chance of recieving more severe injuries. Call the ability Abandon Ship to make it more accurate.

Archived Post 04-21-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malvolti (Post 2578889)

If you use it before your ship goes boom perhaps it can reduce the severity of your injury or reduce the % chance of recieving more severe injuries. Call the ability Abandon Ship to make it more accurate.

Perfect idea. +1 to this. I had a similar thought as well.

Archived Post 04-21-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

sure, then reenable it, right?

and that is indeed a very good idea +1

Archived Post 04-21-2010 05:21 AM

Quote:

Abandon Ship successfully and you avoid your Death Penalty entirely. Warp Core Boom when ship is destroyed by weapons fire or a few seconds after abandoning ship is your "retribution shot" at the enemy.

Archived Post 04-21-2010 07:19 AM

From an RP perspective, I can see why you should reward a captain who decides to save his crew, rather than one that orders them to "Go Down Fighting" in order to get higher scores in PvP or whatever. I think recognising this via a mitigated (partially or completely) Death Penalty is a good idea.

Archived Post 04-26-2010 05:50 PM

The question still stands

yes, it was a two parter, but I was really trying to draw attention to the fact that Self Destruct ("Abandon Ship").... does absolutely nothing.
Do we get a new skill in it's place? If so, what kind?

Archived Post 02-25-2012 05:14 PM

The skill is redundant since players can type /killme and explode. A griefer was doing it earlier today to blow up Lieutenant-rank ships (and caused a chain reaction).