Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Telekinetic powers (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=152681)

Archived Post 04-22-2010 04:37 PM

Telekinetic powers

As the post suggests, I would love to see telekinetic abilities of different forms be added to character alien and BO abilities. From acid secretion to electrical discharges, temporary mind control over other characters (making them friendly fire or attack), and then have others able to go on up to full levitation abilities (object manipulation). It might be tricky, but it would be so cool! I should add that there should be resistance types to these abilities too, for balance.

Archived Post 04-22-2010 05:55 PM

If it was Star Trek I would support it, but it is not :(

Archived Post 04-22-2010 06:32 PM

Incorrect. Letheans have several options with their telepathy. They can create entire scenarios in a mind (Lethean that attacked Bashir), extract thoughts (Lethean that attacked Kor) or simply fry a mind like the Rapture trait we have. Eris, the first Vorta shown, had a telekinetic charge, like the trait Telekinetic. BOs never use these traits. I would like to see them do that. I have several Vulcan BOs that never use Nerve Pinch, and some aliens with Telekinetic that they also don't use.
There was also a species in TOS that had electric charges, if I remember correctly. And many other (mostly unnamed) species could influence others with their mental abilities (DS9 The Muse, influenced Jake Sisko), Ocampa could influence organic materials (make water boil, also blood; make plants bloom or die).

Some mental abilities are canon.

Archived Post 04-22-2010 07:07 PM

these are exactly the kind of abilities i am referring to. don't forget when the pa wraiths and prophets took over organic bodies.. they had many powers. Q has powers. You could extend the ability to fire quills and spikes too.

l think lethians emit electric charges too

Archived Post 04-22-2010 09:30 PM

Q powers would be rediculously sweet... but impossible to do fairly.
Playable Changelings (Founders) would be pretty cool too. Like they would have only ONE abillity at character creation, Shapeshift. They could take on any of the physical attributes of any other species and they could also do that cool hold attack where they reach out and strangle you. LOL
Photonics would be a nice addition too. They would be considered to have personal holo emitters like the doc from voyager and their one primary 'racial' abillity would be something like "Cannot be damaged by standard attacks, but critical hits do double damage as it is considered a hit to the emitter itself."

Archived Post 04-22-2010 09:56 PM

haha yea the unlimited Q powers should be limited to the already established npc character Q in game. There would be no practical way to give it to a player in any way.

Archived Post 04-23-2010 06:03 AM

For Prophets and Pa Wraith, I would find it kinda cool if a Bajoran character (playable as Fed or in a future Cardassian faction) had a small random chance to be possessed by his/her god, which unlocks a power after a certain mission (for example Fire Cages). The worshippers of both didn't have any special powers, but there could be small chance they'd be chosen to carry their god and get access to a power like when the duelling prophet and pa wraith possessed Kira and Jake Sisko.

If Vorta become playable, I wouldn't give them telekinetic as a mandatory trait (after all, there was only one Vorta showing this ability, and in ST comics, it was explained that most lost such abilities due to a flaw in cloning), but make it optional. Actually, a lot traits shouldn't be that limited. Andorians can't be 'telepathic' (as in Aenar) unless its a alien, Ferengi can't have 'mental discipline' (as a replacement for the missing psi resistance)...

Q powers would probably be too much for a player, lol, but telepathic species should be able to do more with that than just have a better critical chance or expose boost.

Archived Post 04-23-2010 04:19 PM

i wouldn't mind seeing certain special vorta with some mild telekinetic knockback powers

Archived Post 04-23-2010 07:54 PM

I think it was a badass writing flaw in DS9, but its canon, so yeah, the option should be there. Just not as mandatory trait. Who likes it should be able to pick it, and most traits are locked for species and can only be picked by aliens.

Archived Post 04-23-2010 09:28 PM

any other comments out there?