Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Suggestion - Replace Traffic Control with BOs (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=153741)

Archived Post 04-28-2010 07:51 AM

Suggestion - Replace Traffic Control with BOs

Hey gang,

I saw someone else suggest this once and thought I would bring it here. The suggestion was to get rid of the guy or girl that would show up at Traffic Control when you warp between sector blocks and replace them with one of your Bridge Officers doing the pop up. This makes a lot more sense than haveing some over arching traffic control watching all the boarders in the game. Ideally, the pop up to warp message should be your Navigator or Helmsman on board. Since we do really have a way to specify these characters, I suggest taking the Engineering BO (or better, the lower level one if your ship has two.) Generally Helm has been operations or Command. I could also see a tactical officer in this role. Either way, have them pop up to ask if you want to warp to a new sector block.

(Personally I suggest that there be a way to appoint crew to specific "positions" on the ship independant from the BO stations. But that is another topic.)

Thanks,
Duncan

Archived Post 04-28-2010 07:53 AM

+1, 'traffic controllers' do not make sense for Star Trek beyond planetary systems or space stations.

Let my CONN officer inform me about warping through space, instead.

Archived Post 04-28-2010 08:07 AM

nah lve em i like them.

Archived Post 04-28-2010 10:46 PM

/signed

I have also noticed when joining a battle already in progress, that a random ensign is generated to ask us to continue exploring or leave the sector. I'd rather see one of my BO's consistantly deliver this message.

Additionally, I've noticed that while space missions are usually delivered by the appropriate BO, away missions are usually delieverd by a BO that I happen to have selected for the away team. Sometimes, though, I get a lower-ranking ensign delivering the message, which I find to be more appropriate as they would presumably be the most senior officer remaining on the bridge. It would be nice to see the latter consistantly as it not only makes more sense but it involves those lower ensigns which more than likely do not see a whole lot of away team action (being less developed).

Archived Post 04-29-2010 05:50 AM

BO instead of Traffic Control

ABSOLUTELY!

Traffic Control officers watching artificial borders makes no sense.

BO's delivering the messages adds to immersion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vadersson (Post 2606311)
... get rid of the guy or girl that would show up at Traffic Control when you warp between sector blocks and replace them with one of your Bridge Officers doing the pop up.

Archived Post 04-29-2010 05:52 AM

I like it!

Helm set a course

Archived Post 04-29-2010 05:23 PM

Waaait a second - Shouldn't be just any BO, but your Communications Officer!! (Hello, Uhura!)

I read in another thread the devs confirming the implementation of Ship's Counselor in a Diplomacy function, why not Communications, at the very least in a token form such as this?