Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Suggestion: Fully functional "Set course" (autopilot) feature in sector space. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=155790)

Archived Post 05-06-2010 06:08 PM

Suggestion: Fully functional "Set course" (autopilot) feature in sector space.

This one is to the devs. Why isn't possible for us to open our galaxy maps, zoom in on a sector other than our current sector, select ons of its systems and "set a course" to it, instead of only beeing able to set a course to current sector borders?

In the shows we don't see the captains ordering "Set a course to the A sector border" then "Set a course to the B sector border" and "Set a course to the C sector border" so that he could finally order "Set a course to the C-1 system". He just order to "Set a course to the C-1 system" from wherever the ship is, and the helmsman witll cross sector borders on his own. After all.. he did went to the academy haven't he?

Archived Post 05-07-2010 02:04 AM

Several suggestions like this has been purposed before...

And this humble member agrees... If you need a reference for how it can be done, take a look at Microsoft's Freelancer.

Archived Post 05-07-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anazonda (Post 2642682)
Several suggestions like this has been purposed before...

And this humble member agrees... If you need a reference for how it can be done, take a look at Microsoft's Freelancer.

Freelancer had autopilot feature? Hehe, i really don't remember, its been years since i've last played it.

I was going to use EVE as an example.. but whenever someone utilizes EVE as a comparasion to anything, no dev will listen to it.

Archived Post 05-07-2010 03:11 PM

Well, CCP are highly litigious, the mere mention of a similarity to EVE brings the fear of their lawyers descending upon an unsuspecting company.

Archived Post 05-09-2010 09:44 PM

Yes please, this sounds like a very good feature.

Archived Post 05-10-2010 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruivo
This one is to the devs. Why isn't possible for us to open our galaxy maps, zoom in on a sector other than our current sector, select ons of its systems and "set a course" to it, instead of only beeing able to set a course to current sector borders?

In the shows we don't see the captains ordering "Set a course to the A sector border" then "Set a course to the B sector border" and "Set a course to the C sector border" so that he could finally order "Set a course to the C-1 system". He just order to "Set a course to the C-1 system" from wherever the ship is, and the helmsman witll cross sector borders on his own. After all.. he did went to the academy haven't he?

ive actually seen this mentioned as a suggestion to add to the upcming interiors update. i honestly forget where the thread is but if memory serves the OP of said thread suggested we should be able to tell our ops officer to " make it so " then wander off our bridge , heading to our cabin , engineering , sick bay etc .. while the ship is " moving " the travel times wouldnt change . you`d still spend as much free time below decks while your ship moves to its destination as you would if you were in sector space view. however your not staring at the sector crawling past you . the OP even suggested a " captain to the bridge " message should the ship run into DSE`s .

i for one love this idea . i have found myself waiting till im traversing between one system and the next to spend my skill points in order to have something to do . while im not complaining about the flight times between say SOL and DS9 i am sorta disapointed about the lack of anything interesting during the trip

So Cryptic please give us a proper intra sector autopilot . our ops officers and pilots have been through the acadamy and can surely read a big boy map . and consider the wandering your ship while traveling idea too

Archived Post 05-11-2010 10:16 PM

At the very least, while en route in sector space with a course already laid in, it would be very nice to be able to simply right click on an alternate destination (a physical system or enemy battle... not using the Map) and select "Set New Course" so my ship could automatically change course.