Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Dev Response? Advanced Features (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=159337)

Archived Post 05-23-2010 10:02 PM

Dev Response? Advanced Features

Ok, first of all, flamers.
If you have nothing constructive to say dont say anything at all. I have no interest in "they cant do this" or "Why would you want to" type responses from the community.

Now that that rant is out of the way.
Developers, do you have any intention of adding direct x 10/11 features to the game, or a special setting we can select for those who have really high end systems that will increase the quality to the point it would just blow us away? You were considering a console port to xbox and ps3, so presumably part of the development process is high-polygon modeling, then texture baking to make a lower polygon model still appear high quality. Perhaps add the ability for us to play in all its high-quality glory?

Personally, I am specifically interested in hardware tesselation and optimization for 3d-vision.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Your Pal, Indigofyre

Archived Post 05-23-2010 10:16 PM

Uh, lets see here...

DX10 would be fine for me, its not a huge deal but if they could do it then why not. I think...though instead of improving lighting effects and stuff they should improve the overall graphics. Increasing viewing distance, texture quality..removing faded backgrounds and putting real awesome distance backgrounds would be nice. Water ripples would be nice too. Not to mention removing that shadow shimmering issue that ive had since beta...im rather dissapointed in the graphics quality of this game in some areas...notably the ship models...low poly. Jagged edges....this game needs AAx16.

Archived Post 05-23-2010 11:02 PM

Thank you for actually having a decent reply. Its nice to see some people still can.
It cant be helped though. The quality of the game, and the sort of things they are adding strike me as either a) the game is only just making enough money to stay afloat so they cant invest the resources needed to make the game shine (which is supported by an article I was linked to by steam stating that they tried making this game with a budget of only around 20-25 million usd) or b) they are too lazy
Of course a mix of a and b is also possible. However, I am also aware all mmos have teething problems. I think we, as a community, would be happier with more work spent on bug fixes and graphical enhancements then on adding new content.

Archived Post 05-23-2010 11:17 PM

I don't think that it'll happen in the next year or two, since they are focused on adding content and features to keep/get more subs. Hopefully though, if they can get the game to where they can maintain a much higher base (maybe 300k-400k subs so they can make some money to invest), then it would be in their best interest to do a graphics overhaul (as we have seen in other MMOs). If all goes really well, i could see this happening in about 3 years (about the time it would really start to need one anyways).

For the short term, i think many of us can agree that they have bigger fish to fry. While the graphics isn't groundbreaking, it is about on Par to a modern MMO and can wait a little while to see an upgrade.

Archived Post 05-23-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_collective (Post 2697856)
(which is supported by an article I was linked to by steam stating that they tried making this game with a budget of only around 20-25 million usd) or b) they are too lazy

2 things to keep in mind ...

- The company is developing a game in the middle of a somewhat noticeable economic recession. That is a factor.

- The most successful MMORPGs in MMORPG history all cater to the lower specs. To hit the larger audience. So a game like World of ******** which shoots low, gets popular and suddenly everyone can play it. A game like Vanguard shoots high, and even folks interested in it, can't run it all that great.

The success of this game likely hinges more on their ability to put out more quest content and ship skins and uniform variations ... than it does their ability to deal with graphics disparity amongst its userbase.

Archived Post 05-23-2010 11:32 PM

While the higher quality graphics used by Direct X 10 / Direct X 11would be a nice addition the hardware limitations of the majority would make it economically questionable to invest time to develop these assets.

I love this game and the system i play on is 3 years old with a slightly younger graphics card so i manage but I as with a lot of people don't have the money to fork out for higher end equipment at the moment.

Some planetary scenary I have seen in this MMO have blown me away, especially when you compare it to games like Star Wars Galaxies, Anarchy Online and Earth and Beyond, but the space graphics could use some work i agree.

If you give the devs time they may invest more in these technologies after they are well established and the general user base obtains the equipment but for now I think they are far better investing their time into more playability than aesthetics.

Archived Post 05-24-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_collective (Post 2697799)
Ok, first of all, flamers. Please go slit your throats.
If you have nothing constructive to say dont say anything at all. I have no interest in "they cant do this" or "Why would you want to" type responses from the community.

Not exactly the most graceful way to start a thread. Is it just me, or are you equating "someone disagrees with me" to "someone is flaming me"? I'm pretty sure that you basically opened up with flame bait.

Here's a piece of constructive advice: If someone disagrees with you, shrug it off. It's not the end of the world, and no one's attacking you by simply having a differing opinion. People are going to disagree with you. A wise man once said "you can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Now, if they were to be abusive, like calling you names or openly taunting you, that's another thing. If someone does call you names and openly taunt you, do not respond. Just report the post. If you respond with something like "please go slit your throat" then you're likely to get an infraction too. I'm not trying to moderate here, just trying to offer some friendly advice.

On to the rest of your post. Take it from someone who is a professional video game developer (just not for Cryptic). There is nothing that DirectX10 can do that DirectX9 cannot do with minimal loss of performance over DirectX9. As for DirectX11, it does not really offer anything that would actually benefit STO much all. They'd have to completely change the way you interact with the world to get much benefit from either DirectX10 or DirectX11.