Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Klingon Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=159522)

Archived Post 05-25-2010 04:40 AM

Klingon Content
 
I am not here to talk about the minuscule amount of content available to Klingons. That horse has died, been beaten to a pulp, replaced by a look-alike, and likewise beaten to oblivion.

No, my fellow warriors. My complaint here is about what little content we DO have outside of PvP in so-called "exploration" missions.

Klingons are the fiercest warriors in the universe! The longer a war draws out, the happier we are, while none of the other species have the stomach for it. The first two Klingons killed the gods themselves shortly after being brought to life, after all! And yet...

And yet...

What a sad state for our people, when most of the missions we receive from the High Council are to kill tribbles. Helpless, unworthy furry vermin the weaker races coo at and fawn over, all the while losing their stores of food to these pests. But is their extermination truly a warrior's job? Let the subject races do pest control. Let them throw shovel-fulls of tribbles into their warp cores to power them if need be, but let us sheathe our blades in the bellies of our enemies instead!

And when my crew is not our killing tribbles or blowing up breeding facilities, what do we do?

We are sent to kill PLANTS! There are no gardeners in Sto-Vo-Kor, I don't care HOW "dangerous" or "fierce" these space-borne tulips are. A Bat'Leth is meant to chop the limbs off a screaming, bleeding opponent for the greater glory of one's House and for the Empire itself. Not to prune the limbs off an uppity cabbage with delusions of grandeur.

But the disgrace does not end there my friends, oh no. For when finally my noble crew and I faced enemies eye to eye in "glorious" combat, it was only so because we were crouching. I do not remember the name of the ridiculous species we fought but their largest fighters came up to my hip! They fell quickly before us but I admit to feeling...unsatisfied. Like beating a mute in a cursing contest.

Is this what the Empire has been reduced to? Pest-control, pulling weeds and slaughtering child-sized opponents? I do not need a well-armed Bird of Prey to do these things. Please just put a warp core on a lawn mower. It would be cheaper, more honest, and about as honorable.

Archived Post 05-25-2010 05:01 AM

Well Cryptic has somewhat a unique problem. They have created 2 factions with completely diferent mindsets. Many of the Feds want Peacefull sight seeing missions and the Klingons wants more run and gun game play. And since all we get are rehashed Fed content we eventually get what they ask for, at least you get to kill something LOL.

Its also the fact they made a PvP based faction with a crap PvP system.

Archived Post 05-25-2010 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray10 (Post 2700985)
Well Cryptic has somewhat a unique problem. They have created 2 factions with completely diferent mindsets. Many of the Feds want Peacefull sight seeing missions and the Klingons wants more run and gun game play. And since all we get are rehashed Fed content we eventually get what they ask for, at least you get to kill something LOL.

While this might all be true, I am not convinced that a Startrek player really expected to learn about a plot by the "Borg Government" to install one of their candidates on a neutral planet so that planet would join them.
Or about Borg looking for artifacts of their 3rd Dynasty. Or the Venexians whose religion seems to be to fear the return of their god and as a result turn every religious site from other races (even Hirogen!) into theirs, forcing me to kill countless of pilgrims...

There is also a large number of carnivorous plants that seem to emit energy readings we can detect from orbit, but which seem utterly harmless when you stand next to them. And don't forget that evil Phonians that would weaponize a plant or would sneakily beam close to debris from a sensor probe to lure us into a clever trap (well, that's what my tactical claims is one option). "That's their plan? Wile E. Coyote could come up with a better plan" [/Astronut]

The content leaves a lot to be desired. Just be glad about the easy XP for killing tribbles or the fun space combat stuff. And hope for the time they are improving their Genesis system to create better stories.

Archived Post 05-25-2010 11:16 PM

You have seriously underestimated just how much Klingons hate tribbles...

Archived Post 05-25-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully (Post 2701007)
While this might all be true, I am not convinced that a Startrek player really expected to learn about a plot by the "Borg Government" to install one of their candidates on a neutral planet so that planet would join them.
Or about Borg looking for artifacts of their 3rd Dynasty. Or the Venexians whose religion seems to be to fear the return of their god and as a result turn every religious site from other races (even Hirogen!) into theirs, forcing me to kill countless of pilgrims...

There is also a large number of carnivorous plants that seem to emit energy readings we can detect from orbit, but which seem utterly harmless when you stand next to them. And don't forget that evil Phonians that would weaponize a plant or would sneakily beam close to debris from a sensor probe to lure us into a clever trap (well, that's what my tactical claims is one option). "That's their plan? Wile E. Coyote could come up with a better plan" [/Astronut]

The content leaves a lot to be desired. Just be glad about the easy XP for killing tribbles or the fun space combat stuff. And hope for the time they are improving their Genesis system to create better stories.

I don't mind the easy xp from a pure gaming standpoint. I wouldn't even mind at all if these were Federation missions (it's more along their lines to do the delicate gardening, to have a Betazoid delve deep into the psyche of a tribble and get to the root of its Klingon-phobia on a teeny tiny leather couch. Like Frasier, but in space).

What drives me nuts is that it's Klingon-side. Worf vs Hamtaro does not give you a heroic feeling.

What prompted me to post was that I had 6 missions in a row that went like this:

Plants
Tribbles
Plants
Tribbles
Tribble breeding station in space
Little green midgets whose guns were way bigger than them (it felt like Predator Vs Kindergarten Cop)

And I though to myself: "Um..Qapla'?"

If the plants spat poison or something, that would be a major improvement. Or if they had some sort of confusion-aura effect.

If they were giant saber-toothed tribbles...maybe. With laser eyes. Synnibarr-style.

Archived Post 05-25-2010 11:30 PM

So i guess the Romulans are going for bug hunting when introduced..... :cool:

Archived Post 05-26-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vontrox (Post 2702857)
So i guess the Romulans are going for bug hunting when introduced..... :cool:

I can only imagine Romluan missions.

"We need you to take this package to <guy's name> right away. You are not cleared to know anything else. Go!"

Or maybe your ship gets NPC'd halfway trough the mission when it turns out one of your BOs is a Tal Shiar agent and they take command for reasons unspecified, again because you don't have clearance.

OO Or your BOs randomly try to assasinate you or frame you for treason!

Tribble hunting is starting to sound pretty good now...

Archived Post 05-26-2010 06:34 AM

tribbles were declared an emeny of the empire according to worf, the hate runs deep

Archived Post 05-26-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenghuang
Plants
Tribbles
Plants
Tribbles
Tribble breeding station in space
Little green midgets whose guns were way bigger than them (it felt like Predator Vs Kindergarten Cop)

That sounds like a terrible selection of missions indeed.... *

Quote:

Synnibarr-style.
:eek:

EDIT:
* I propose a new mission for the Klingons. Travel back in time to stop the Klingon spy from travelling back in time to kill Kirk, so that the Tribbles stay extinct and Sisko doesn't accidentally bring them over after he saved Kirk.

Archived Post 05-26-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully (Post 2703441)
That sounds like a terrible selection of missions indeed.... *


:eek:

EDIT:
* I propose a new mission for the Klingons. Travel back in time to stop the Klingon spy from travelling back in time to kill Kirk, so that the Tribbles stay extinct and Sisko doesn't accidentally bring them over after he saved Kirk.

Still....its better than getting 4 or 5 bugged missions in a row. :rolleyes:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 AM.