New Feature Enabled for Gold Members! (Out-of-Game Chat via XMPP)
As part of our ongoing testing of our new XMPP feature, we are now enabling Star Trek Online's Tribble users to make use of the feature! NOTE: You must be a Gold Member to be able to use this feature.
I've been using this for quite sometime now, and have been having a blast with it! Right now, this feature is only in beta, as such, it's possible that there could be frequent outages, or unplanned maintenance could be performed at any given time, so please bear with us, and pardon our dust, this feature is still in its BETA phase.
Below, you'll find the instructions for how to connect to our in-game chat server using Pidgin, which is the IM client we use here at Cryptic, however, this should also work using Trillian, or any other client which supports XMPP chat.
We will be keeping an eye on this thread to gather your feedback, and will be working with you to help ensure that the experience improves and is nice and stable for when we enable this functionality for all our users.
If you're not currently signed up for Tribble, and wish to check this feature out, you can sign up for Tribble here.
If you have any feedback, or questions about this feature, please leave it in this thread so that we can find it easily!
1. Start your Pidgin client.
2. Click on Accounts > Manage Accounts.
3. Click the Add button.
4. On the Add Account dialog fill out the following:
1. Protocol: XMPP
2. Username: <Account Name> (The login name used for CO Live/Holodeck)
2a. If your Account Name is an email address, substitute the "@" for a "\40" (e.g. name\40name.com)
3. Domain: CrypticSpace.com
4. Resource: <Anything> (Equivalent to character name in game)
5. Password: <Your Account Password>
5. Check Remember Password (if desired).
6. Click Add.
1. Click on Buddies>Add Buddy
2. Select your XMPP account you want to add the friend to.
3. Input your buddies username/handle (ex. Lfalls)
4. Click Add.
5. You can now double click on your buddies name to open an IM chat window!
6. Note: You cannot currently specify what group you want your buddy in.
Joining Chat Channels from a List
1. Click on Buddies>Join a Chat
2. Select your XMPP account.
3. Click Room List>Find Rooms to list all rooms with someone in them
4. Double click on a listed room to join!
Joining/Creating Chat Channels Manually
1. Click on Buddies>Join a Chat
2. On the Join a Chat dialog add the following:
1. Account: <Your XMPP account>
2. Room: <Name of room to join/create>
3. Server: channels.crypticspace.com
4. Handle/Password: For private rooms
3. Click Join!
* Friends may not show as online until they change zones in game or relogin.
* In game Location in social panel displays as "Instant Messaging #0"
* Users can be on both XMPP and in game - Messages are sent to both.
* Cannot currently join more than 6 custom chat channels at a time.
Q: Why can't I see my friends?
A: In Pidgin your offline friends do not show up by default. To make them show, choose Buddies -> Show -> Offline Buddies
Q: Why does my account name show up in chat instead of my handle name?
A: Some clients, such as Trillian, show your account name in your chat window, but other users will see your handle name.
nice feature...tweet, tweet!! :cool:
Should we Google Pidgin client and download it?
Hey StormShade, I'm sorry I'm a little confused, where do I find this "Pidgin client"?
You say it's a IM program so I'm guessing I have to look for it externally, outside of the STO website right, so is it best to just Google it or is it linked into the site some where?
I read your entire post, I'm only realy familiar with MSN and Xfire, so I honestly thought the first place I look is "My Account" on the frontpage of the STO website, but I guess not.
EDIT: Is this what we need to download?
You dont have to use pidgin, u just need a client that supports XMPP (Jabber) for example Adium or Trillian will work.
connection manager (preferences - identities and connections): add new connection
first spot: <your account name>@CrypticSpace.com
second spot: <your account password>
note: to have yourself shown by another name other than your default computer name, go to settings, Connection. under XMPP check the box saying "Override default resource name with:" and put whatever you want your name to show as in the box.
to join channels right click the purple jabber icon and select either "browse for confrences" or " join a conference"
Automatically everyone on my in-game friends list AND my fleet showed on my offline contacts list. However; they are alll showing up twice since all of my fleet is also on my friends list (easier to invite to team from friends list than from fleet list).
How is this limited to Tribble? Aren't Cryptic's custom chat channels cross-shards (and cross-games)? Or is this only for fleet and zone chats?
This will be most useful to the Empire Qa'pla!
Very nice so far I will be testing this, so far a great addition for a Fleet Admiral.
Much like mXo when WB still owned it and used AIM as an ingame chat client. Bravo I say!
are there any main channels we can join or is it all individual custom stuff.
will we be able to join channels like TTS or the pvp in game channels?
EDIT: Answer is YES! wooot.
much prefer connecting to those channels from my IM client than trying to monitor them in game.
wish I had this option for other MMOs.
Been using it for over a week. So don't think it was just turned on today. CO had a post about this and someone showed me. For a while it didn't work with STO then over a week ago it started working with STO too.
And my CO account has been cancelled for over 3 months now.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 PM.|