Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Federation Officers and kills (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=160956)

Archived Post 06-04-2010 05:48 AM

Federation Officers and kills

(I just read Terry Pratchett's 'Only You can save Mankind' in my holidays. According to the book: I'm a little bit tired of just blowing the badies out of the stars - the explosions are great though! :)).
Here are my suggestions for a more Trek like look and feel:

- As a Fed Officer: Why not stunning the bad guys first, marking them with a kind of transporter-focus-gizmo, beam them to the brig and get extra experience points, or accolades, or all of their stuff for catching them alive.

- Same with the ships: I don't expect all of the aliens thinking that its always a good day to die. Some of them might be very faint hearted. Why not letting them give up (like some high level Klingons do (!!!)).
- How about implementing a boarding option after the ship is given up - so its your's after you fought to the bridge? (Maybe with a time limit due to a self destruction countdown or warp core breach.)
- The winner than could sell the ships, fly them by himself or even build up a fleet.
IMHO this should not be a problem since most of these things already are put into effect in certain missions.

- I really enjoyed all of the Season 1.2 changes! With only one exception: I don't want any accolades for "kills". I don't even want to be called a (virtual) killer". Please give me the opportunity to reject these.

Archived Post 06-04-2010 11:01 PM

Interesting, I like it! Haveing to operate the transporter during battle could be an interesting mechanic to apply/develop/master. Perhaps lining up figures or some puzzley-thing to sync the transporter with your target?

Archived Post 06-05-2010 01:05 AM

I thought this was going to be a how-to guide on racking up the Federation Officer kills for the Wanted by Section 31 accolade.

Archived Post 06-05-2010 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCSlyman (Post 2725445)
I thought this was going to be a how-to guide on racking up the Federation Officer kills for the Wanted by Section 31 accolade.

Well not quite - I just wanted to mention that killing is not very 'trekky'. Searching for smarter ways to solve problems is. Hey, they have human rights for holograms in the Fed and we kill their predecessors just for fun ;). Nevertheless I enjoy STO very much.

BTW is there anybody who attacked Drake in this certain Section 31 mission? I must confess I nearly did :D ( I don't like him) - I finally decided not to, just because I wondered whether this will be possible in the usual quite straight forward mission design (aka "first shoot than ask")

But I very liked this stunning and beaming feature in this mission! Very trekky!

Archived Post 06-05-2010 03:17 PM

I did attack him on my third play-through. Just to see what the dialogue was.

I wasn't impressed.

Archived Post 06-06-2010 05:51 PM

I attacked Drake. He told me he'd be keeping an eye on me - like I'm scared of him. I dislike spies in the ranks, so I attacked him, and probably will again.. ;)

Doesn't seem to make any difference to anything else in the game tho. Would've been nice if it led to a further chain of missions depending on your choice. Never know - maybe one will still come up in some update one day...

Archived Post 06-06-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metaQ (Post 2722936)
(I just read Terry Pratchett's 'Only You can save Mankind' in my holidays. According to the book: I'm a little bit tired of just blowing the baddies out of the stars - the explosions are great though! :)).
Here are my suggestions for a more Trek like look and feel:

- As a Fed Officer: Why not stunning the bad guys first, marking them with a kind of transporter-focus-gizmo, beam them to the brig and get extra experience points, or accolades, or all of their stuff for catching them alive.

- Same with the ships: I don't expect all of the aliens thinking that its always a good day to die. Some of them might be very faint hearted. Why not letting them give up (like some high level Klingon's do (!!!)).
- How about implementing a boarding option after the ship is given up - so its yours after you fought to the bridge? (Maybe with a time limit due to a self destruction countdown or warp core breach.)
- The winner than could sell the ships, fly them by himself or even build up a fleet.
IMHO this should not be a problem since most of these things already are put into effect in certain missions.

- I really enjoyed all of the Season 1.2 changes! With only one exception: I don't want any accolades for "kills". I don't even want to be called a (virtual) killer". Please give me the opportunity to reject these.

i like the idea,of using the transporters,as instant 'your in the brig now,matey' buttons.as a fed officer,one of our skills should be something that makes an enemy give up.I too don't like all this 'we kill all u noobs' mentality of the current Feds.I'll be trying the diplomatic corps asap.the ships giving up idea is cool too,maybe if they give up,after a certain amount of damage,but you don't get so much xp?good way of getting a mission done quickly.
doubts about the boarding ships,and taking them as yr own,to do with as you please.the federation,frowns apon that kind of thing,I think.maybe if there was a neutral faction,like marquis,then maybe yeah.

Archived Post 06-10-2010 01:28 PM

when I did that mission, I sided with the ship's captain, and attacked Drake.

Drake had proved himself to be a liar, and I think in the world of ST captains have a lot of respect for each other.