Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   360 Phaser spread (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=161837)

Archived Post 06-08-2010 11:53 PM

360 Phaser spread

For those who have seen Nemesis, Picard's first tactical move is to blast all of the phasers around the ship. I would like to see this as a BO power, I realise it could be difficult to implement though, since we're tied down to firing arcs - maybe the same thing could be used for torpedoes. If it did any worthwhile damage it would be useful in a tight spot, or for locating cloaked ships or maybe just taking down a mine field quickly.

What do you think?

Archived Post 06-09-2010 12:04 AM

If you have both aft and front beam arrays you can do the same with Fire at Will, although the graphics is currently bugged so it doesnt look that pretty.

Archived Post 06-09-2010 02:47 AM

But it sure looks fun already when you're in 6-Beam Cruiser and enter a DSE, surrounded by dozens of enemy ships. ;) I was really reminded of Nemesis...

(It's not really effective, except maybe to "draw aggro". And sure, the NPCs hated my Cruiser.)

Archived Post 06-09-2010 03:58 AM

If they ever get the beam weapons to fire from the phaser strips it will look alot better I think. Also, I'd like to see the torpedo spread changed to that in TNG...one photon splitting into multiple.

Archived Post 06-09-2010 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo (Post 2735783)
If they ever get the beam weapons to fire from the phaser strips it will look alot better I think. Also, I'd like to see the torpedo spread changed to that in TNG...one photon splitting into multiple.

Not exactly, according to the manual the launcher can fire ten torps so quickly it looks like the fired all in the same instant, this gives the impression it was one torp.
They then spread out like STO's torp spread skill. :D

Archived Post 06-09-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo (Post 2735460)
For those who have seen Nemesis, Picard's first tactical move is to blast all of the phasers around the ship. I would like to see this as a BO power, I realise it could be difficult to implement though, since we're tied down to firing arcs - maybe the same thing could be used for torpedoes. If it did any worthwhile damage it would be useful in a tight spot, or for locating cloaked ships or maybe just taking down a mine field quickly.

What do you think?

Isn't this what Fire at Will does?

Archived Post 06-09-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy1337
Isn't this what Fire at Will does?

Fire at Will only effects on beam, when there is a target in range. I believe the OP wants multiple beams to fire, without a target lock.

Archived Post 06-09-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvs5191 (Post 2738025)
Fire at Will only effects on beam, when there is a target in range. I believe the OP wants multiple beams to fire, without a target lock.

So like an extended AoE effect like photonic shockwave with a chance to hit something ? Or as a means to detect cloaked ships, like in Nemesis ?

Archived Post 06-09-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashur1
So like an extended AoE effect like photonic shockwave with a chance to hit something ? Or as a means to detect cloaked ships, like in Nemesis ?

I feel like both could work, without the ability being OP'd in anyway. If you're hitting everyone around you with a few beams, it's not going to be all too effective due to shield regeneration (since you're not constantly hitting them). But, it'd be great as a defensive move.... and look sweet.

Archived Post 06-09-2010 07:23 PM

So it would basically be the same as photonic shockwave, except tactical, you need a beam array to do it, and it deals energy damage instead of kinetic damage.

Or is there something else that I missed, anyways, it sounds awesome! I would probably use it if it became a real ability!