Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   RSP needs some changes please. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=162235)

Archived Post 06-11-2010 09:44 AM

RSP needs some changes please.
 
This survivability skill has pretty much become a must have for PvP/PvE, especially for escort types. I'm not going to suggest it's OP, because that would hurt many peoples feelings, but I believe it should be tweaked around a little bit, in order to make other Engineering BO skills more desirable.

My suggestion, give a 30-40% bleed-through while RSP is active; this should still make the skill effective for engagements of 1v1 1v2 or 1v3, but any time you have more then 3 ships blasting away at you, there should be some downside to using this skill, as of now bleed-through in this game is laughable, any time you have a skill that is (Can't Touch me Button), I really think something needs to be changed. RSP so long as you have more then 20% hull makes you unkillable for 15 seconds, there really needs to be some downside to the skill which currently there is none; perhaps power drain from other systems, or a movement debuff would also work, but the skill is just way to common place and over the top to be anything but alright.

Archived Post 06-11-2010 10:23 AM

RSP is fine as it is. It's cooldown is prohibitive. And shield power can be drained effectively.

The only reason it ends up being difficult to defeat is ...

People like to mash the space bar. And can't always be counted on to ... STOP DOING THAT.

So RSP takes advantage of that.

If you can convince your team to not continually mash the space bar against a target with an RSP up, you can effectively neutralize their shields quicker and make RSP much weaker than it is when multiple people are sending beams at the target keeping their shields replenished.

That takes teamwork, experience and coordination. Something the devs can't give you with a power tweak or a nerf.

Archived Post 06-11-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superchum (Post 2743652)
RSP is fine as it is. It's cooldown is prohibitive. And shield power can be drained effectively.

The only reason it ends up being difficult to defeat is ...

People like to mash the space bar. And can't always be counted on to ... STOP DOING THAT.

So RSP takes advantage of that.

If you can convince your team to not continually mash the space bar against a target with an RSP up, you can effectively neutralize their shields quicker and make RSP much weaker than it is when multiple people are sending beams at the target keeping their shields replenished.

That takes teamwork, experience and coordination. Something the devs can't give you with a power tweak or a nerf.

Not really, pounding on a rsp escort just prolongs there live for what 10 seconds... of you debuff them with dmg resist skills they usually die with there shields at 100%.. :p

Archived Post 06-11-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

RSP is fine as it is. It's cooldown is prohibitive. And shield power can be drained effectively.
This.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Archived Post 06-11-2010 02:18 PM

ESP is ridiculously unbalanced. Its an 15 second invoulnerability button. EVERYBODY is using it. It needs massive attention.

Archived Post 06-11-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superchum (Post 2743652)
RSP is fine as it is. It's cooldown is prohibitive. And shield power can be drained effectively.

This .

Archived Post 06-11-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

ESP is ridiculously unbalanced. Its an 15 second invoulnerability button. EVERYBODY is using it. It needs massive attention.
There are two reasons that everyone would use a given power. The first is that it's ridiculously overpowered and virtually guarantees victory when used properly. The second is that it's so critical to the game that *not* to use it virtually guarantees defeat.

RSP fits into the second category. It's overpowered for sure, compared to virtually every other defensive ability in the game. It is also the ONLY power in the game that gives a reliable defense to focused fire, which in a game like STO cannot be optional. Some ships (Eng / Cru, for example) have very potent defenses without RSP (e.g. RSF + EP: Shields, given the broken way shield resists stack at the moment), but others (all Escorts, all Raptors, many builds of BoP) have no other reliable defense and NEED RSP to be an effective threat.

Nerfing RSP would have significant consequences for game balance, particularly if the nerf is done hastily. It already has a significant number of counters. It doesn't need to be nerfed, because it's not broken.

Archived Post 06-11-2010 05:48 PM

Double post. Oops.

Archived Post 06-13-2010 04:59 AM

iŽd like to see a drawback to rsp, like kinetik damage completely bypassing shields or so. would be nice and make sense.

Archived Post 06-13-2010 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellfxxx
iŽd like to see a drawback to rsp, like kinetik damage completely bypassing shields or so. would be nice and make sense.

A drawback would be fine, but how can you justify torpedos passing through full shields?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 PM.