Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Liberated Borg Captain: As a Vet Reward? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=164689)

Archived Post 06-25-2010 03:16 PM

Liberated Borg Captain: As a Vet Reward?

With the recent additions to the C-Store (including the latest announcement of the Galaxy-X, which is the topic of another thread), many have been clamoring for the "early bird" Lifetime Subscription Liberated Borg playable Captain to be added to the C-Store as well.

However, a better idea I've heard is to have the Liberated Borg Captain instead be attached to the Veteran Reward system.

Here's the idea: obviously, the success of any subscription based MMO like STO is, of course, subscriptions. In addition to microtransactions, box sales, and possible expansion sales, subscriptions are the primary source of revenue for an MMO's continued existence.

For this reason, a Veteran Reward program was created, to reward players with continued subscription time with extra promotional items. As players continually renew their subscriptions (or purchase Lifetime Accounts), they are rewarded for their continued patronage of the game.

Unlike a referral program with attached benefits, a Veteran Reward program cannot be gamed, even if game time is purchased in adavnce. It merely requires that an account be cumulatively (not continuously) subscribed for X amount of time before the reward is given. There's really no way around it.

This is why some believe that the LT Liberated Borg Captain would be a worthy reward for the Vet Reward program. It's clear that many players who missed out on this reward (which is no longer available through any other means) would like an opportunity to claim one for their account. It's also clear (if the Referral Program is any indication) that Cryptic wants to not only entice new players, but retain them as well.

Although C-Store purchases do benefit the company, they only provide a one-time source of revenue; once a player purchases an account-wide item, that account won't need to purchase it any more. But adding the Liberated Borg Captain at a certain Vet Reward marker (300 days, 400 days, etc.) will ensure that Cryptic can retain a subscriber for that amount of time, and reward them with something great for sticking with the game that long.

Please, post your thoughts on this idea, but try to remain civil, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the proposition. However, try to keep criticism constructive, if any.

Archived Post 06-25-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsidius (Post 2788148)
...they only provide a one-time source of revenue; once a player purchases an account-wide item, that account won't need to purchase it any more. But adding the Liberated Borg Captain at a certain Vet Reward marker (300 days, 400 days, etc.) will ensure that Cryptic can retain a subscriber for that amount of time, and reward them with something great for sticking with the game that long.

The problem with making it a Veteren reward is that there's no way to quanitfy how many people will keep an active subscription to get it, who otherwise would not have. Putting it in the C-Store provides a directly measuable cash-flow.

And since it's all about the money, that's the way Cryptic will run it. Nothing about any of this has been to make for loyal, long-term happy customers. It's all about the quatloos. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Archived Post 06-25-2010 03:47 PM

First off, as a proponent of the Veteran program, I have argued for this for months...for the Liberated Borg captain, the Mirror uniforms, and the Galaxy-X ship. Guess what they did with the last two? Yeah. C-Store micro-transactions. For the same reason that they put those up on the C-Store, they're gonna put the Borg up for sale...probably around the same price as the other buyable races.

I know people with the big-name (and expensive) exclusives who would have been fine with a 500+ day Vet reward for their items (myself, obviously, included). If they did this in the first place I'm sure that there would have been a lot less outrage. If it were up to me, I would have done it this way. If it were up to me I'd pull all of the C-Store purchased "exclusive" items from the store, taken away all of the items bought, and reimbursed them with CP. Then I would slap them on the Vet program.

Of course, that would be the sensible way to do things. Cryptic's not really known for doing things sensibly.

Archived Post 06-25-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong (Post 2788227)
I know people with the big-name (and expensive) exclusives who would have been fine with a 500+ day Vet reward

I don't have a big-name, but I do have a big head!

And I approve of this message!

My stance, from the beginning, put this stuff IN GAME not in wallet. (Vet rewards count as in-game, obviously.)

Archived Post 06-25-2010 08:35 PM

I vote no. the last pole I saw was 61% opposed for it to be made available in the C-Store, and 39% for.
That is nowhere near a overwelming majority, for this reason I vote no. It is merely the principle of the matter.
This is a an actual "exclusive" for this title that was offered pre-launch and was stated very clearly would not be available after February 2. 2010.

http://crypticstudios.com/index.php?...=284&Itemid=31

Archived Post 06-25-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance (Post 2788822)
I vote no. the last pole I saw was 61% opposed for it to be made available in the C-Store, and 39% for.
That is nowhere near a overwelming majority, for this reason I vote no. It is merely the principle of the matter.
This is a an actual "exclusive" for this title that was offered pre-launch and was stated very clearly would not be available after February 2. 2010.

http://crypticstudios.com/index.php?...=284&Itemid=31

I know I'm going to regret this, but I figure I'll give it a go anyhow.

The only thing that was stated on the page you linked as not being available after February 2, 2010, is the 12-month subscriptions. There is no use of the word "exclusive" in front of the Borg option, nor does it say that it would never be offered again (or in a different manner, for that matter).

Archived Post 06-25-2010 08:58 PM

While I dont think the BC should be given as a VR and in general and given normally I'm all for keeping exclusives exclusive but since Cryptic steamrolled over that paradigm and taking into account the CO LtS people already got screwed it would only be reasonable for our beloved BC to be put on the store as well. I see no difference between us and the Co LtS people to be frank.

Archived Post 06-26-2010 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchrotron
And since it's all about the money, that's the way Cryptic will run it. Nothing about any of this has been to make for loyal, long-term happy customers. It's all about the quatloos. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

All about money?! You mean Cryptic isn't a non profit group just trying to bring joy to the impoverished trekies of the world? I'm shocked.

Any way, I'd be ok with seeing the borg in the c-store.

Archived Post 06-26-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Spartan (Post 2788847)
I see no difference between us and the Co LtS people to be frank.

The difference is you didn't buy a life time sub, to a game you don't want to play, just to get an outfit in this game.

Archived Post 06-26-2010 05:34 AM

I vote no. They are 3Xclusiv3 brah!:D