Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   More Galaxy-X Q&A! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=165099)

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:03 PM

More Galaxy-X Q&A!
 
Hey All,

Over the last few days I sent a few questions out to various people, and got some good answers. I wanted to take the time to share that information with you.

Me: Players are afraid that the Galaxy-X will significantly affect game balance, due to the fact that itís a Tier above the currently available ships.
Design Team: Season 2 will provide new ships of equal power that can be earned through normal game mechanics, so players who purchase the ship in the C-Store will not have an advantage in PVP or PVE. Also, the Dreadnought Cruiser also comes with disadvantages for a Tier 5 ship. It has Tier 4 weapon slots and the speed and turn rate of a Exploration Cruiser (Galaxy)

Me: Cloaking is one of the things that gives Klingons their unique identity, with Federation being able to cloak, how can Klingons keep their unique racial characteristics?
Design Team: There are some unique Klingon powers in the process of being approved right now, but we don't have the green light to announce them yet.
Writing Staff: It should also be noted that the Federation cloak is fictionally correct, as seen in All Good Things.

Me: Will the Galaxy-X from the Referral System be any different than the Galaxy-X in the C-Store? In terms of mechanics, or look/feel?
Production Team: No, they will be the same.

Me: When will this hit the C-Store?
Everyone Else: TBD

Me: What will the price be?
Everyone Else: TBD

Update: We hope to announce the price and release date of the Galaxy-X later this week. If you want to be among the first to know, make sure you are subscribed to our newsletter!

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:08 PM

thank you destra U are awesome thanks for the great info

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:14 PM

Sounds good here. Can't wait to see it and be able to get one.

On the side, is there an ETA of the next C-Store update? I've been unable to get the search the thread featue to work if it's been answered in a thread already.

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMDestra
Hey All,

Over the last few days I sent a few questions out to various people, and got some good answers. I wanted to take the time to share that information with you.

Me: Players are afraid that the Galaxy-X will significantly affect game balance, due to the fact that itís a Tier above the currently available ships.
Design Team: Season 2 will provide new ships of equal power that can be earned through normal game mechanics, so players who purchase the ship in the C-Store will not have an advantage in PVP or PVE. Also, the Dreadnought Cruiser also comes with disadvantages for a Tier 5 ship. It has Tier 4 weapon slots and the speed and turn rate of a Exploration Cruiser (Galaxy)

Me: Cloaking is one of the things that gives Klingons their unique identity, with Federation being able to cloak, how can Klingons keep their unique racial characteristics?
Design Team: There are some unique Klingon powers in the process of being approved right now, but we don't have the green light to announce them yet.
Writing Staff: It should also be noted that the Federation cloak is fictionally correct, as seen in All Good Things.

Me: Will the Galaxy-X from the Referral System be any different than the Galaxy-X in the C-Store? In terms of mechanics, or look/feel?
Production Team: No, they will be the same.

While I agree with the fact that yes it was in Star Trek. It was in an alternate universe where the Romulan Star Empire did not exist. Since the only reason the Federation did not develop cloaks was the Treaty of Algeron with the Romulan Star Empire, their fall made the Treaty null, thus allowing the development of cloaks. The use here is illegal by the Treaty since the Empire still exists.

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:18 PM

Thanks for answering what questions you can.

Is there any response to the two questions that are on most people's minds?

When is it hitting the C-Store and how many points will it cost?


It's interesting that equivalent-but-different ships will be coming out soon anyway. Maybe it's not going to be such a must-have after all.

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 (Post 2794520)
he use here is illegal by the Treaty since the Empire still exists.

I agree with this, that means you have to write a mission in to the story that causes the treaty to be canceled. ( we should already be at war given the amount of the empire's ships we destroyed )

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
I agree with this, that means you have to write a mission in to the story that causes the treaty to be canceled. ( we should already be at war given the amount of the empire's ships we destroyed )

Agreed. Its already kinda ridiculous we can just go flyin through Romulan Space and nothin happens.

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMDestra
Writing Staff: It should also be noted that the Federation cloak is fictionally correct, as seen in All Good Things.

So now we're playing in an alternate future? The D was destroyed, the crew was split up, Worf got married and widowed- we've strayed so far from that "possible future" that I've seriously got to question the writing team for thinking that's canonically correct.

The only canon instances of Fed cloak are still the Pegasus' cloaking device that was used in the Enterprise temporarily and the Defiant's "rented" Romulan cloaking device.

Of course, since we've strayed from that possible future, I guess we should just take the Galaxy-X for the handwaving it is. Even at the tail end of the Dominion War, we hadn't seen the dreadnought refits of the Galaxy, so I'll just shut up now and let myself indulge in some fanboy fun with (IMO) one of the coolest-looking ships ever to come out of Trek.

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 (Post 2794533)
Agreed. Its already kinda ridiculous we can just go flyin through Romulan Space and nothin happens.

when the romulans are added to the game we will most likely declare war since it will be a player faction, but it mite happen sooner since the galaxy-x , and maybe other ship will be getting the cloak. ( battle cloak defiant class? ):D

Archived Post 06-28-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemmyMcDonough
So now we're playing in an alternate future?

yep.. I also agree.. GMDestra you mite want to edit that out before you make all of the Trekkies mad because they think that the writing team does not know canon.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 PM.