Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Tier 5 Excelsior Suggestion Thread (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=168426)

Archived Post 07-16-2010 12:37 PM

Tier 5 Excelsior Suggestion Thread

Hey, everyone! I figured I'd try and make a single thread where we could all post our ideas to help the development team with fleshing out a Tier-5 Excelsior ship for the C-Store. I humbly ask that everyone keep things civil and on topic, thank you!~

Here is the information we have so far, a direct quote from dstahl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstahl
The details haven't been completely ironed out yet - so I don't have all of what you're asking for but here's what I can share.

The models for the ship are nearly complete - it is just a matter of adding the powers/class configs to the ships and then getting approval.

These ships are currently slated to have slightly different configurations with at least 1 intersting unique ability (Nebula will have some sort of awacs like power and excelsior gets transwarp to any sector ability)

We are heavily considering a suggestion posted earlier where acquiring these ships unlocks both a T3 AND T5 version. So you can fly it at Captain and then a Refit version at Admiral. (love this idea btw)

And as mentioned earlier - I'm also arguing for a way to get alternative ways to unlock these types of things in game so that there are other ways to get the ship rather than via the C-Store.

Price is completely up in the air and set by the C-Store team.

My Tier 5 Excelsior Suggestion -- **Updated!**

Bridge Officer Stations
Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Engineering, Lieutenant Tactical, Lieutenant Science, Ensign Universal. (Ensign Science is acceptable if Universal is not).

Consoles: 4x Engineering, 3x Science, 2x Tactical.

Hull Strength: 35000.

Shield Strength: Identical to Assault/Star Cruisers.

Device Slots: 4.

Crew Compliment: 500-600.

Turn Rate: 9.

Weapon Slots: 4/4.

Unique Power: Transwarp Drive (as listed in above quote).

My suggestion has the Excelsior on equal footing with Tier 5 Starfleet Cruisers (no better or worse), and specifically designed similar to a Star Cruiser with Officer station layout and consoles -- which I think is more fitting of her lineage and purpose. It will also give those who do not like the look of current Star Cruisers (like myself) something to fly that is more traditional and sleek but with the desired power layout. Lesser crew is a balance and lore point (but I admit I do not know how much crew an Excelsior is supposed to have) and would allow for a marginally better turn rate.

Thoughts, anyone? :)

Any further comment from devs/GMs, are highly welcome!

Archived Post 07-16-2010 02:59 PM

A thought I just had in relation to this ship prompted by your post. Why not offer both a Star Cruiser and an Assault cruiser variant of this ship to make both sides happy?

Unless Cryptic is willing to make this ship an hybrid that does both well at the same time and stick it under the new cruiser refit skill (unlikely I'm guessing).

Archived Post 07-16-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparhawk_Mike
A thought I just had in relation to this ship prompted by your post. Why not offer both a Star Cruiser and an Assault cruiser variant of this ship to make both sides happy?

Unless Cryptic is willing to make this ship an hybrid that does both well at the same time and stick it under the new cruiser refit skill (unlikely I'm guessing).

The way it was used in the past movies, it looked to be more of a star cruiser than a tactical cruiser. Who knows, that could be one option. I would gladly pick up one of these if they offered it with similar specs to both the tac and star cruisers currently available at T5.... The TW to any sector is a great idea...but then again...if you use this vessel at VA...you can use slipstream...so it saves some time...but I would ant something that is a bit more useful than what is slated. Don't ask me what skill I had in mind...that's not my department...lol

Archived Post 07-16-2010 03:31 PM

This is why I offered the suggestion of a Universal Ensign station, allowing you to have Tactical or Science (or Engineering if you are so inclined). The only real issue would be the consoles, since there's no such thing as a universal console (at least yet)! Perhaps the Excelsior can be the first ship with a Universal console slot! ;)

Archived Post 07-16-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
This is why I offered the suggestion of a Universal Ensign station, allowing you to have Tactical or Science (or Engineering if you are so inclined). The only real issue would be the consoles, since there's no such thing as a universal console (at least yet)! Perhaps the Excelsior can be the first ship with a Universal console slot! ;)

***Spock raises his brow***

"Fascinating...."

Archived Post 07-16-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly

They certainly could add a universal or semi-universal console slot. I'm guessing they would just restrict it so you couldn't add a fifth engineer console though (which would be fine).

Archived Post 07-17-2010 04:46 AM

hmm...
A universal console... what a novel idea, easily program the sytem to allow only X number of certain types. or make it only be a tac or sci slot, restricting it from even accepting engineering.

Myself I hope that they do come out with this as a T5 varient as well as a lower Tier ship.

Archived Post 07-17-2010 06:45 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, thus far! A universal console would need a restriction of being Science or Tactical only... five Engineering consoles would be too much.

Sneak Peak at the Excelsior, In Game!

Above is a screen shot I discovered posted on the Tribble forums; it's not a screen shot I've taken. The Excelsior looks beautiful! Certainly seems like the refit "Enterprise-B" configuration.

Archived Post 07-17-2010 07:51 AM

I think the specs should be

BO: Commander Engineer, Lt. Cmdr Universal, Lt. Universal, Lt. Universal, Ensign Eng

Weapons: 4 Forward, 3 Aft
Shields: 4/5 the max shield strength of the t5 cruiser
Hull: The same as a t3
Turn: Same as a t3

Consoles: 3 Engineering, 3 Tactical, 3 Science

My reasons for this is the Excelsior was a universal ship, she played rolls as a defense cruiser, a battle cruiser, and a explorer ship. She is the true the work horse of the Federation.

Archived Post 07-17-2010 08:21 AM

The Excel. and Nebula are both the workhourses I think thats kinda the theme I'm seeing here. Both were sort of generic ships that could take up almost any role that was required and seem to have taken part in most of the major events throughout starfleet history in various roles.