Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Eng/Tac/Sci team tooltip (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=178842)

Archived Post 09-02-2010 08:25 AM

Eng/Tac/Sci team tooltip

The BO team abilities shoud have their tooltips/functionality changed. I think it is much more cleary when it says:

-Increased your damage done by 5% and increased the effectivity of all tactical abilities by 5% for 5 seconds.

instead of:

-Increases your tactical skill x by 11.

Archived Post 09-02-2010 08:27 AM

Well, because that's not what it does. The % your weapons damage goes up from skill boosts will depend on how much skill you already have.

Archived Post 09-02-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
Well, because that's not what it does. The % your weapons damage goes up from skill boosts will depend on how much skill you already have.

I think then it should be changed because it will be much clearer.

I mean can you tell me how much it boost weapon power when you already have 9/9 skill? Does it increase it at all then? Or is it 0.5% per point?

Archived Post 09-02-2010 09:16 AM

There's no penalty from having more skill, it's just that your normal damage is higher compared to the bonus.

i.e...

100% = base damage

Your Tac Team adds enough skill to get +20%

you get a 20% boost in weapons damage.

compared to...

You already have enough skill to get +50%

Tac team adds +20%

you get a 13% increase in weapons damage.

So putting "+20%" would actually be less informative than the skill # boosts you see now, since it would be misleading. Additional, skills that actually add +damage (like Attack Pattern Omega) behave a bit different from skill buffs - Tac Team only impacts your weapons damage, +damage affects damage dealing powers as well.

Archived Post 09-02-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomka42 (Post 3004807)
I think then it should be changed because it will be much clearer.

I mean can you tell me how much it boost weapon power when you already have 9/9 skill? Does it increase it at all then? Or is it 0.5% per point?

In every space skill I've tested, including those affecting weapons and science abilities, each point of rating (e.g. +1 Starship Operations Training, +1 Starship Energy Weapons, etc) does in fact add 0.5% to the bonus.

As the previous poster pointed out, adding 0.5% to the bonus almost never means adding 0.5% to magnitude of the effect, because there is already some bonus.

In general, effects seem to be computed as:

Final = Base * (1 + Rating/200)

Rating includes bonuses from skills, buffs (like Sci/Eng/Tac Team), deflectors, consoles, etc. Hence +1 Rating adds 0.5% of the base value.

For abilities affected by weapon power, it goes like:

Final = Base * (1 + Rating/200) * (Power/50)

For science abilities affected by aux power:

Final = Base * (1 + Rating/200) * (1 + Power/50) * 0.5