Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   What sucks in capture and hold. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=179215)

Archived Post 09-04-2010 10:44 AM

What sucks in capture and hold.

Ok, thanks to this nice invention the pvp dailies for emblems. I now get to do my favorite game with people on both sides who just don't care. They are only there to get their emblem and it doesn't matter win or loose. I prefer to at least attempt to win. It's impossible to do that when your team thinks it's an arena match and tells you they are only there for the emblems, not the game. Kind of wrecks it for everyone else. I don't think anyone should get credit for throwing a match. If you don't win, you shouldn't get emblems.

Sorry to vent but it is frustrating! I'd like to pug up with more serious players. Maybe a ladder system so I won't have to be around the 'I think this is arena, who cares about flags'.

Archived Post 09-04-2010 10:52 AM

well join a fleet simples .
Personal i hate the cap & holds so if i do anything i treat it like an arena
So you dont wanna ever team with me as i hardly ever cap .;)

Archived Post 09-04-2010 12:10 PM

Partly, people are simple-minded and like to run toward things and attack them. This is an immutable constant of human behavior, and cannot be overcome by any gameplay or other design short of extended conditioning or severe trauma.

Partly, though, capturing and holding with the mechanic used in the space Salvage Operation map is just intolerably slow and boring. Who queues up for 3 PvP matches in a row just to "take one for the team" that doesn't care about you in the first place?

Archived Post 09-04-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgecase (Post 3010433)
Partly, people are simple-minded and like to run toward things and attack them. This is an immutable constant of human behavior, and cannot be overcome by any gameplay or other design short of extended conditioning or severe trauma.

Partly, though, capturing and holding with the mechanic used in the space Salvage Operation map is just intolerably slow and boring. Who queues up for 3 PvP matches in a row just to "take one for the team" that doesn't care about you in the first place?

I do question where you got your degree from. I possibly just have more experience in the psychology field than you do.

However you two do further my point that capture and hold is broken by it's participants and something should be done to help those who wish to play the game the way it was meant to be played. Possibly damage/healing scores could not be counted/displayed and instead the amount of captures?

Archived Post 09-04-2010 01:48 PM

I am also getting more and more annoyed by this. Just right now:
Another player who was sitting idle around and was just complaining how long that took till it was finally over. He had 0 - 0, neither damage nor healing. He was too busy doing other things, he gets the Emblems anyways and he complained why I would even bother fighting around.

So I have to agree:
Cryptic, please change this mission to 3x win instead of just taking part of the battle. I mean seriously, more and more players have absolutely zero interest to actual play Capture and Hold, they either idle around the starbases or they just fly around shooting instead of actually teamplaying.
If people actually need to work on the map to get their so much loved Emblems, they might even start thinking about playing this mode - else they'd lose and, oh my god, they won't get their reward and have to try again or avoid this mission. :eek:

Archived Post 09-04-2010 03:37 PM

What is PvP? An Elitist Club, or a game activity you want everyone to participate in?

It can be both. If you're tired of the 'rabble' messin up your precious, then go in only with a team of fleetmates. You can fix it. Really.

Archived Post 09-04-2010 04:56 PM

It's also nice when the other side can bring a good challenge. Just dominating the opponents isn't really that much fun.

Archived Post 09-04-2010 05:17 PM

I still don't think it should be winner take all. I'd rather see the dailies be universal. Instead of requiring you to complete a specific task they should be offered as they are now but with the option of completing them in PVP, PVE, or Fleet Actions. That way, PVEers could stick with their comfort area and just run expanses/clusters 9 times, while PVPers could do the type of missions they want. The point being, people who get to play the game that they want to play are less likely to just show up for the credit and leave.

You can do it with winner take all but consider how long a match can take when both sides are playing each other as hard as they can? I'm not saying that the challenge wouldn't be nice, but Cap and Hold could take hours to complete a single daily.

Archived Post 09-04-2010 06:06 PM

I'm in it for the win though its usaully turn into a pew-pew fest.
Just let it roll off your back, take the emblems and hope for a better team next match.
There is no way to spur those who don't care into caring.
Or ingonre those who only pew-pew and try to capture the points yourself. Eventually your will draw the attention of the other team who will move to stop your and the pew-pew'ers will follow.
Or if you are able - split your team into a capture group and a pew-pew group who keep the enemies too involved to do anything but fight back - thus giving your team more abilty to capture and hold.

Archived Post 09-04-2010 08:40 PM

I understand wanting a more competent group of players to team with. I have found, however, that if you free yourself from being too serious when playing a game, you can just laugh it off and start having fun with it. This is why I've started using T1, T2, and Runabout ships often in PvP maps. If my team can't pull it together (which they can't, 8 times out of 10) then why should I tie myself in knots over it? Just get some laughs and have some fun.

Its all a game.

:D