Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Some way to stop random encounters? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=182843)

Archived Post 10-01-2010 02:19 PM

Some way to stop random encounters?

One thing that has rapidly become annoying while playing is the constant random encounters I keep getting dumped into.

I'll finish a mission and start looking at where to spend my points, reading through the skill descriptions etc. and *wham* loading screen - - - - - - defeat enemy forces 0/8

I'll warp to a sector and pull up the map to find the system I need to go to for my mission.
*wham* loading screen - - - - - - defeat enemy squads 0/8

The game would be so much more enjoyable, if it would stop interrupting me!

In the same vein, why does it keep dumping me into encounters with enemy ships 40 levels above me?
Sure sometimes there'll be a group around my level, but no sooner do I finish them off, I get jumped by five or six +42 enemies.
I'm better off 'warping out' as soon as it loads me in, leaving me wondering why does the game keep loading me into these in the first place, and how do I make it stop?

Archived Post 10-01-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardolin-Vosh
One thing that has rapidly become annoying while playing is the constant random encounters I keep getting dumped into.

I'll finish a mission and start looking at where to spend my points, reading through the skill descriptions etc. and *wham* loading screen - - - - - - defeat enemy forces 0/8

I'll warp to a sector and pull up the map to find the system I need to go to for my mission.
*wham* loading screen - - - - - - defeat enemy squads 0/8

The game would be so much more enjoyable, if it would stop interrupting me!

In the same vein, why does it keep dumping me into encounters with enemy ships 40 levels above me?
Sure sometimes there'll be a group around my level, but no sooner do I finish them off, I get jumped by five or six +42 enemies.
I'm better off 'warping out' as soon as it loads me in, leaving me wondering why does the game keep loading me into these in the first place, and how do I make it stop?

Go to your bridge when you want to spend points, you won't be moving, but you dont get DSE encounters while you are there, so you can spend your points. DSE's are part of the game, they are there TO jump you. And the part about the ships that are higher level comes for there being a higher level person in the encounter and the game making high level ships to counter them, it is something that still needs a fix.

Archived Post 10-01-2010 02:27 PM

The enemy contacts you keep running into show up on the sector map. If you see one somewhere near you, move and you won't end up in a random encounter. They're not really that hard to avoid if you just look at what's near you.

Best thing to do I think would to do all your reading, skill spending, ect.. before you leave the system and head into sector space. Once you finish a mission you don't have to leave right away. You can always leave later, and you won't get a DSE (Deep Space Encounter) if you're not in sector space.

The reason you see some so much higher level is normally due to the way those encounters scale to the players level.

Archived Post 10-01-2010 03:16 PM

Actually, the only way that's been implemented is to have someone working on the diplomatic track of the rank 'Envoy' or better cast 'Diplomatic Immunity' on you... (a pity you can't cast this on your self...) This will give you 300 seconds of protection, as well as a boost to your rate of warp speed.

Archived Post 10-02-2010 03:57 AM

Quote:

Other than as previously noted with DipImm, you cannot avoid DSE's jumping you while you look at the map or something. However, while moving, you can easily avoid most DSE's by flying around them. Most importantly, once you level past the zone for those DSE's, they'll never bother you again.

In fact, once you're a VA, the only way to get into many DSE's is to find one that's already opened (i.e. space-rift, rather than flying ship).

Quote:

This is coming up because Cryptic has made accolades for completing stupidly high numbers of the DSE's. They're impossible to complete within the relevant level, even if you do nothing OTHER than DSE's!

This results in higher level people coming back to knock out DSE's for the accolade. In general, when the DSE resets after you finish it, it resets at the level of the highest dude there. You just got pulled into a DSE that some VA's been playing with.

Unfortunately, there's nothing to help you here. Just warp out, and either a) avoid the DSE's, or b) if you're trying to complete them, find another DSE.

Archived Post 10-02-2010 11:40 AM

Yeah, another thing that realy irritates me with these DSEs is when you warp in your ganked by 20 ships at once because they all spawn on top of you. I mean cmon cryptic, I'm good but i'm not THAT good. It's like guaranteed instant death.