Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Adjustment to Orion Traits (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=184162)

Archived Post 10-13-2010 05:31 PM

Adjustment to Orion Traits

Since STO opened, it's troubled me that the Orion race traits did not seem to make sense from a roleplay point of view. The traits that are Orion only don't fit with what the canon says they should be. So, I'm proposing an adjustment to the traits.

First is the currently female only trait SEDUCTIVE. Currently this trait is required for all female orions. The trait provides the following:
Seductive
Passive
99,999 sec
* +20 confuse resistance
* +20 placate resistance
* -10% threat generation
I'd suggest the following adjustment:
Seductive
Passive
Targets Foes and Self
25 meter Foes (pbaoe)
99,999 sec
* to foes: -20 confuse resistance
-20 placate resistance
* to self: -10% threat generation
This would make the trait match what the canon says about Orion females. Here is an entry from memory alpha dealing with Orion females:

Orion slave girls secrete a highly-potent pheromone that accelerates the metabolisms of males of many species, raising adrenaline production to dangerous levels. It causes aggression and a form of delusion that makes them susceptible to suggestion. The pheromone causes headaches in Human females and disrupts the sleep cycle of Denobulan males; Vulcans, however, are immune. The pheromone's effects are cumulative: the longer one is exposed, the more pronounced the results. In 2155, Dr. Phlox of the Enterprise NX-01 theorized that the pheromone acts as a defense mechanism against competition. (ENT: "Bound")

The adjustments I suggest would match with the above entry about Orion females.

The other trait that seems off is the active trait Seduce. Currently, this trait is Orion only, but open to the male orions. I propose to make the trait female only. Additionally, the range could be extended to 15.24 meters to match with other active traits that don't require direct contact with the target.

Archived Post 10-27-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaun (Post 3092097)
The other trait that seems off is the active trait Seduce. Currently, this trait is Orion only, but open to the male orions. I propose to make the trait female only.

I get where you are coming from (and I have seen this particular issue in at least one other thread), but reverse the situation. What if it was a racial specific trait that only male characters could have? Then there would be complaints of sexism and inequality. I think Cryptic has taken the middle road here and avoided gender specific traits, even if it does not jibe with canon.

Archived Post 10-31-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaun (Post 3092097)
I'd suggest the following adjustment:
Seductive
Passive
Targets Foes and Self
25 meter Foes (pbaoe)
99,999 sec
* to foes: -20 confuse resistance
-20 placate resistance
* to self: -10% threat generation
This would make the trait match what the canon says about Orion females. Here is an entry from memory alpha dealing with Orion females:

Orion slave girls secrete a highly-potent pheromone that accelerates the metabolisms of males of many species, raising adrenaline production to dangerous levels. It causes aggression and a form of delusion that makes them susceptible to suggestion. The pheromone causes headaches in Human females and disrupts the sleep cycle of Denobulan males; Vulcans, however, are immune. The pheromone's effects are cumulative: the longer one is exposed, the more pronounced the results. In 2155, Dr. Phlox of the Enterprise NX-01 theorized that the pheromone acts as a defense mechanism against competition. (ENT: "Bound")

The adjustments I suggest would match with the above entry about Orion females.

I see what you're saying here, however, besides the current version of the ability and Vulcan Mind Meld, is there another Ground Ability that causes Confuse? If not, your suggested alteration -- while making the Orion ability a little more like the Memory Alpha description -- would only make opponents *more likely* to be affected by a Confuse ability. Which wouldn't have much of an effect unless you had at least one Vulcan with Mind Meld on your away team (unless I'm missing something here).

--Chris