Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   do you write bios for your BOs? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=186538)

Archived Post 10-30-2010 08:51 PM

do you write bios for your BOs?

I was just wondering. I do it for fun, but I don't think anyone else ever sees it.

Archived Post 10-30-2010 09:22 PM

Yeah, I don't think other people see them (maybe if they're in your team during a ground mission, but probably no other time), but I've written bios for mine. I haven't put them in the game yet, though. I keep them in a text file on my computer.

Hmm, next time I'm waiting for a tribble to breed, I may transpose them into the game, heh. :)

Archived Post 10-31-2010 08:07 AM

Yes, of course I do.

The complexity varies depending on how much backstory I can think up for them (I have around 22 BOFFs between 2 characters), but generally, they get one or two lines each.

Mainly, it's to make them seem more thought out and actually participating in the game, rather then just a named NPC whose sole job is to fight stuff.

Although there's no way to do this in the game, I've even assigned unofficial ranks to them.
Something like: you're co-captain, you're first officer, you're head of science/engineering/ship's doctor etc.

Archived Post 10-31-2010 08:12 AM

I've actually written pretty extensive bios for my Boffs. I've got a blog for each of my active characters and post log entries and biographical stuff there.

I'm always on the lookout for people with interesting character bios and kinda disappointed that we can't access Boff bios ingame.

If anyone else has a blog or posts bios, log entries, or other things elsewhere, I'd be curious to know about it.

Archived Post 11-01-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mygod_itsfullofstars
I've actually written pretty extensive bios for my Boffs. I've got a blog for each of my active characters and post log entries and biographical stuff there.

I'm always on the lookout for people with interesting character bios and kinda disappointed that we can't access Boff bios ingame.

If anyone else has a blog or posts bios, log entries, or other things elsewhere, I'd be curious to know about it.

I have a blog that was originally going to be for people to post screenshots, but it has kinda turned into a blog for my characters. If anyone would like to post their character bios on my site I'd be happy to create a login for you.

http://www.stoarchive.com/blog

Archived Post 11-01-2010 09:06 AM

Not yet as I am worried that my Orions will end up reading like a Penthouse forum letter.

Archived Post 11-01-2010 11:12 AM

I don't do much RPing on MMOs anymore for a variety of reasons, but I never wrote bios. Ever.

My opinion (and this is only an opinion) is that, if you're going to RP, do it right. People do not have their autobiography tattooed to their foreheads, so simply looking at a character should not tell you their entire backstory.

Perhaps more importantly, it removes a lot of RP potential and relegates to a "alreadly know that" category even among strangers. For instance, why would I bother asking you why you joined Starfleet if I've already read it in your bio? Introduction RP is often very interesting because, as with the real world, it makes a first impression. If you can just read a bio, then all of that RP - and a sense of mystery - is lost.

Archived Post 11-01-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shizaru
I was just wondering. I do it for fun, but I don't think anyone else ever sees it.

BAH ,,, I'm one that will look at them while flying in sector space or to fill the in between moments.

Makes for fun reading sometimes.

Archived Post 11-01-2010 12:24 PM

I always enjoy reading people's bios, some of them are really good. Some of them are hilarious. I wasn't even aware that BO could have them :cool:

Archived Post 11-01-2010 01:37 PM

I have wrote some bio's for a few Bo's. I actually have this storyline going where my captain married his security chief, When that happened I changed her name by adding a hyphen and the captains last name. Whenever we are able to promote Bo's to captain I'm going to let her take over and maybe kill off my very first captain I created. All good things come to an end sometime...