Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Was there a change to difficulty? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=186579)

Archived Post 10-31-2010 07:52 AM

Was there a change to difficulty?

I've been playing on Elite difficulty for a while now.
The fights last a lot longer.
You need to use everything you've got.

In general it's a lot more fun.

Untill yesterday.

It all started with the new series (see other posts for that).

Then I decided to do my daily grinding in B'Tran.
Right away I started getting my tail handed to me. Both ground and space combat.

One hit killed. In one ground mission an enemy (Breh Commander, or something) wiped out my entire away team in one hit multiple times before I was able to take him down.
After a lot of frustration I reduced my Difficulty level to Advanced.

No change, Both in space and on ground I continued to be insta-killed.
In one case an enemy cruiser insta-killed me 3 times in a row, the last time from full shields/hull right at the start of the fight, so I started reading through the combat numbers.

Ok ..... looks normal.....
*bam*
Enemy hits you for 15,000 damage
Enemy hits you for 38,000 damage

What the hell?

Are NPC's suddenly getting massive criticals now?
That's what I'm getting now, NPC's pulling massive critical hit chains on me.
I died more in one day yesterday then I ever have including all my alts, and dropping down to 'advanced' had no effect.

Archived Post 10-31-2010 08:09 AM

I didn't bother checking any numbers but I noticed the same thing.

Archived Post 10-31-2010 10:00 AM

I have also noticed this as well. Mainly on ground though. It was realyl bad one day that I just aborted the mission until something else came up in Btran. It was more of a frustration issue for me as the injuries started to pile up and I was just not gona deal with it at the time.

Archived Post 10-31-2010 12:23 PM

This isn't new. Many commanders in ground will do 20k+ damage to everyone in their arc. The best advice i can give for killing them is to tag him, run him past something he'll aggress (a turret, generator, etc.) and make sure you're out of range when he starts shooting.

Archived Post 10-31-2010 12:30 PM

possibly its due to the fact so many uber leet players on here were demanding more difficulty..alas so many "learn to play noob" voices may have been listened to it seems

Archived Post 10-31-2010 01:46 PM

Hey guys,

The critter groups I have been making and redesigning are harder then the normal groups... They should be a pushover on normal and a really challenging fight on Elite. This is meant to really add a challenge to the game that wasn't really there on elite previously. The critters I have done so far are hard by design (Breen, Fek'Ihri ground, Devidian revamp) but everything that I have done so far has a counter to it... it's about finding the counter and working with your BOFF's and teammates to overcome them critters on Elite. That being said.. I am trying to do more then just up the damage.. so I will take the feedback and work the numbers a bit more =)...

Thanks and enjoy your Halloween Weekend

Chaddington

Archived Post 10-31-2010 02:04 PM

Thanks Chaddington.

Higher damage really does not equal difficulty, at least not on a 1:1 basis. When you get instantly killed, there is little you can do to overcome that. It is less of a challenge and more of an inevitability.

I understand you guys might be working to make us use more equipment with resists or other things. Unfortunately with the way random missions are, it is very difficult to stay properly equipped. In other games, you can go to an area and fight enemies of the same type for maybe 80% of the time. There would be minimal equipment juggling in that case. In STO, there is a fairly wide variety of random enemies. Say you need 3 gear sets to cover "everything". You could literally swap pieces of equipment 45 times in the course of one Explore (5 BOs x 3 items x 3 missions).

I used to really enjoy Elite, but have not played it in some time since I started regularly running in to insta-kill mobs. It's frustrating to do a mission for 30+ minutes only to discover one of these mobs in the last group. The walk back from respawn is an extra kick in the pants.

Please keep working on tiered abilities and AI tactics for the different difficulty levels. That makes a big difference. I am looking forward to seeing those results.

Archived Post 10-31-2010 02:04 PM

Ahem

Some of us play this game for simple enjoyment, not to place first in some internet bragging ****ing contest, be sure to leave the normal difficulty playable by the casual players.

What is up with the fixing things that aren't broken thing going on at Cryptic lately, geez louise. Some of us have enough stress in our lives we don't need it from the games we play to relax. Get the point?

Archived Post 10-31-2010 02:09 PM

Well that explains it. :) up the damage on my orbital strike. pppllllllllllzzzzz

Archived Post 10-31-2010 02:24 PM

I find space combat excellently balanced on higher difficulty levels and have never had a problem with it, but ground combat does seem broken on higher difficulty levels, with certain mobs being able to take you out in two shots (with your BO's falling along side you, with it all over in about 5 seconds).

Mobs seem to be ridiculously powered (even on advanced) so frequently to the point where between that and other exploration missions which are not completable (due to bugged environments) it's not a viable option right now. A lot of players have been saying that about exploration missions since it's release and I don' think it's just a case of inexperienced players or people not understanding the mechanics, I think they are broken.

Intelligent use of counters and BO placement helps when the mobs are difficult (which is great, and that's when it's working) but there are just flat out overpowered mobs that I think can't reasonably be overcome.

This is in contrast to the space combat, which I say I think is excellently balanced on advanced and elite and really does mean using the full range of your abilities.

I haven't tried anything but exploration missions on higher difficulties; they might actually be fine but I've avoided even trying as I'm not clear what sorts of missions do and do not support different difficulty levels (as seem to remember being told it would not apply to normal missions at first) and because I didn't really trust the mechanics; can anyone clarify what is/isn't covered?

For the future, replaying old missions for fun on higher difficulty settings is something I'm very much looking forward to.