Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   There's another ship in range .. Sir, it's the Enterprise! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=186967)

Archived Post 11-03-2010 07:03 AM

There's another ship in range .. Sir, it's the Enterprise!
 
Would it be possible / allowed to have NPC starships show up at a key point of a major space battle to save the day? I'm thinking about plots where my starship isn't necessarily the hero.

EB

Archived Post 11-04-2010 12:19 AM

If CoH's designer is any indication it should definitely be possible-- they allow events like that to occur based on enemy health, your health, object health, etc. So you can have an enemy escape at 25% health if you want, or have another hero step in to help fight a villain when his health reaches a certain point, or free a hero when an object is destroyed, etc. Things like that.

So, I don't know what STO's plans are, but as far as I know it should be possible, yeah.

Archived Post 11-04-2010 01:52 AM

enterprise...yes
Kirk..no
Willaim Shattner...hell no

having text only of This is Kirk of the star ship enterprise, how may we help you?
prob. ok

having 'data' on your bridge set...no
talking about data...fine

Star trek objects.....almost always yes
TV/movie characters as a visible NPC ...almost always no

hope that helps

Archived Post 11-04-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatherfungus (Post 3133661)
enterprise...yes
Kirk..no
Willaim Shattner...hell no

having text only of This is Kirk of the star ship enterprise, how may we help you?
prob. ok

having 'data' on your bridge set...no
talking about data...fine

Star trek objects.....almost always yes
TV/movie characters as a visible NPC ...almost always no

hope that helps

Well put. They'd have to pay the actors to use their "characters" in game, which is why you don't see Quark on DS9 or any other character that should theoretically be alive in STO's timeline. Still, how much do you want to bet you'll end up seeing "KerK' or "Sishco" or many other variations?

I wonder what steps if any they will take to keep people from making insane powerlevelling stories. In CoH it got pretty bad, which made it hard to find a good UGC adventure to play when you had to weed through the crap ones.

Archived Post 11-04-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shizaru
Well put. They'd have to pay the actors to use their "characters" in game, which is why you don't see Quark on DS9 or any other character that should theoretically be alive in STO's timeline. Still, how much do you want to bet you'll end up seeing "KerK' or "Sishco" or many other variations?

I wonder what steps if any they will take to keep people from making insane powerlevelling stories. In CoH it got pretty bad, which made it hard to find a good UGC adventure to play when you had to weed through the crap ones.

I thought part of the purpose of peer review was for us to help weed out stuff like that "Kerk" who looks surprisingly like a one, James T. Kirk.

Also, to help rein in the experience problem, I think Cryptic mentioned that there would be limitations in place depending on the mission itself. I don't have the link in front of me, but from what I remember, there will be a distinction between a mission you can do in 5 minutes and the mission that is so involved that it'll take you two hours.

Archived Post 11-04-2010 10:14 AM

Don't remind me about the COX Architect. When I was first starting some people asked for a team to run a mish there. I said sure, some quick EXP. What I got..was they went on a powerlevel spree and I forgot just HOW many story arcs and loot I missed out on.

So yeah, keep a limit as to how many SP you got, and loot limits as well.

Archived Post 11-04-2010 04:14 PM

that is the challange....make new, fresh characters.
but with a bit of practice...it can be done.

Archived Post 11-05-2010 10:29 AM

Remember, Archer, Picard/Riker and Kirk weren't the only ones to command the Enterprise name. This works well especially in time travel missions

Archived Post 11-06-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkarma (Post 3136448)
Remember, Archer, Picard/Riker and Kirk weren't the only ones to command the Enterprise name. This works well especially in time travel missions

True! Lol...>Captain Pike of the Enterprise.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 PM.