Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Attack Pattern Delta 1 vs Beta 1 (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=188600)

Archived Post 11-14-2010 08:33 AM

Attack Pattern Delta 1 vs Beta 1

Attack Patterns Beta I vs Delta I
Results calculated over a 5 minute (300 second period) assuming you use the attack pattern once the cool down comes off (ie: key bind to FireAll).

Beta I
10sec active on yourself
2x5sec active on enemy target with -24 all damage resistance -90 stealth
10klm range
30sec cool down
Combined usage over 5min: 1min 40secs [33%] (used 10 times in 5mins)

Delta I
15sec active on yourself or ally for +24 all damage resistance
3x5sec active on any enemy targeting you -24 all damage debuff
10klm range
45sec cool down
Combined usage over 5min: 1min 40sec [33%] (used 6 - 7 times in 5mins)

I'm posting this for A. to see if I understand it right, and B. to see if anyone has anything useful to add, especially when it comes to Delta. It seems Delta is the one BO power that nobody knows about or talks about, and I got a little tired searching the forum for the answers I need.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 10:16 AM

Beta will be active for up to about ~15s too, the duration refreshes every shot you take. Beta also stacks with anyone else's beta, so you can get 5 people using APB on one target for 5 times the debuff. Delta of course can be ignored or avoided. So both of them have their tradeoffs.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 10:46 AM

Beta and Delta are both good skills.

Beta debuffs your target... for anyone shooting at them
Delta Debuffs your attacker... for anyone shooting at them

Levels of Beta and Delta stack... meaning Delta 1 and Delta 2 can be on the same target... but only one of each level can apply.

Delta debuffs for the same amount as the protection... +24 for you... -24 for the attacker.

Delta can be cast on team mates. Meaning if a team mate is being focus fired you can cast delta on them and give them the protection and their attackers will get the debuff.

Delta has a long cool down to make up for the fact that it will give both defense and the SAME offense if used properly as beta.

Summing it up Beta is best for Alphas... it is also great for a focus firing team... as its easy to apply it to a second target if the first goes down quickly.

Delta is a great defensive skill... if you end up in a tractor beam getting pounded it will replace some of the defensive value your target has taken from you and de buff them for your counter.

Both great skills. Beta is easier to use to full effect... delta can be a game changer if used well, but it takes more finesse and battle awareness.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 08:25 PM

Good replies, I'll update the original post to include the proper stats. Fyi, beta 1 only active for 10sec, not 15 as far as I can see. Although the cool downs are different, they both end up being active exactly the same amount of time (over the 5 min period).

Boiled down, as I understand it now, I'd probably lean towards taking Delta over Beta. As long as you're targeting someone who's shooting at you, you will be +24 dmg and he'll be -24 dmg. Beta he'll just be -24 period, no buff towards you. You just need to be proactive in pvp, ensuring you're targeting people who have one of your delta's on them to be most efficient.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Kheldar_
Good replies, I'll update the original post to include the proper stats. Fyi, beta 1 only active for 10sec, not 15 as far as I can see. Although the cool downs are different, they both end up being active exactly the same amount of time (over the 5 min period).

;)

Beta 1 is only active for 10 seconds on purpose.... it applys the debuff for 5 sec to your target... so if you shoot at 9.9 seconds then the debuff is on for another 5 sec to that one target. makes for a 15 second duration to your target.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husanak (Post 3156333)
Beta 1 is only active for 10 seconds on purpose.... it applys the debuff for 5 sec to your target... so if you shoot at 9.9 seconds then the debuff is on for another 5 sec to that one target. makes for a 15 second duration to your target.

Interesting. Does the same apply for Delta then? Delta is active for 15 seconds, let say someone shoots you at 14.9sec, will it then still give a 5 delta on the attacker? That would mean it could be active for a total of 20sec.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Kheldar_
Interesting. Does the same apply for Delta then? Delta is active for 15 seconds, let say someone shoots you at 14.9sec, will it then still give a 5 delta on the attacker? That would mean it could be active for a total of 20sec.

Yes... in fact its possible to use delta... followed by beta and have both on your target for 5 seconds. Its a small window for nice big juice crits.

Archived Post 11-17-2010 08:38 PM

I just recently changed builds and dropped a low copy of Beta for Delta to add just a little damage resistance to myself when I need to and was pleasantly suprised to see how efficient Delta can be used because of its ability to be cast on freindlies... at first I would cast it on people on mistake and get irritated. But hey its a nice damage resitance to cast on to your targets target keeping your buddie alive and tossing the debuff to the enemy your about to nuke. Its great utility AP that I use when APOII is down.

For me Beta is definately better for a gank (for the initial alpha), but Delta is an attack pattern I've learned to love as it can help save you or your buddie, and make sure your enemy dies all at the same time. Another reason I like it so much is that I never run HE or PH and I don't use armor consoles... haha.