Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   A UGC project (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=188698)

Archived Post 11-14-2010 09:10 PM

A UGC project
 
There has been a few concerns about the nature of the missions that can be created from UGC. Some feel that they will be shallow copies of the mission created at launch. That the limitations will not give us the diversity we need to tell great stories.

I will thus give away one of my premature plot ideas. We will see how many directions a 'simple' mission can go with it.

Rogue planetecimals are hypothecial planets that exist and roam through the galaxy. They are created during the early developement of a solar system. During the beging of our solar system there were many more planets than nine. It is theorized that one such planet called Theia crashed into Earth and created the moon. But what if......

What if that planet just missed earth. the gravitational forces might have flung it out of its current orbit and possibly out of the solar system itself. Thus making it a rogue planet.

Now for the problem. A rogue planet about the size of Mars is drifting towards Sol. Its own gravitational influence, as it enters the system, will cause havoc with the orbits of Mars, Earth, etc. What is Starfleet going to do about it?

Can't be as simple as that. Also reasoned is that the internal heat from such a planet may make it capable of supporting basic life. So, Starfleet will refuse the destruction of the planet.

"Captain ___________, we have a situation on our hands. In about 50 years a rogue planet named ZY1035 will approach the Sol System close enough to influence or delicate ecosystems. Starfleet Medical has informed us that it cannot be destroyed, so it must be __________________________________________"

Come on, what would you do. What would you have the players do. Now hopefully people reaply and you can see the variety of ways this can go...UGC will work, even for the simple missions. Give it a shot.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gammadelta1 (Post 3156284)
There has been a few concerns about the nature of the missions that can be created from UGC. Some feel that they will be shallow copies of the mission created at launch. That the limitations will not give us the diversity we need to tell great stories.

I will thus give away one of my premature plot ideas. We will see how many directions a 'simple' mission can go with it.

Rogue planetecimals are hypothecial planets that exist and roam through the galaxy. They are created during the early developement of a solar system. During the beging of our solar system there were many more planets than nine. It is theorized that one such planet called Theia crashed into Earth and created the moon. But what if......

What if that planet just missed earth. the gravitational forces might have flung it out of its current orbit and possibly out of the solar system itself. Thus making it a rogue planet.

Now for the problem. A rogue planet about the size of Mars is drifting towards Sol. Its own gravitational influence, as it enters the system, will cause havoc with the orbits of Mars, Earth, etc. What is Starfleet going to do about it?

Can't be as simple as that. Also reasoned is that the internal heat from such a planet may make it capable of supporting basic life. So, Starfleet will refuse the destruction of the planet.

"Captain ___________, we have a situation on our hands. In about 50 years a rogue planet named ZY1035 will approach the Sol System close enough to influence or delicate ecosystems. Starfleet Medical has informed us that it cannot be destroyed, so it must be __________________________________________"

Come on, what would you do. What would you have the players do. Now hopefully people reaply and you can see the variety of ways this can go...UGC will work, even for the simple missions. Give it a shot.

Create an artifical wormhole-like device that would create a gaint C in space. The planet enters one end and gets shot to the other basically causing it to travel in the direction it came from. Or, we make a Transwarp gate and send it straight to the Qo'nos:D

Archived Post 11-14-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gammadelta1 (Post 3156284)
There has been a few concerns about the nature of the missions that can be created from UGC. Some feel that they will be shallow copies of the mission created at launch. That the limitations will not give us the diversity we need to tell great stories.

I will thus give away one of my premature plot ideas. We will see how many directions a 'simple' mission can go with it.

Rogue planetecimals are hypothecial planets that exist and roam through the galaxy. They are created during the early developement of a solar system. During the beging of our solar system there were many more planets than nine. It is theorized that one such planet called Theia crashed into Earth and created the moon. But what if......

What if that planet just missed earth. the gravitational forces might have flung it out of its current orbit and possibly out of the solar system itself. Thus making it a rogue planet.

Now for the problem. A rogue planet about the size of Mars is drifting towards Sol. Its own gravitational influence, as it enters the system, will cause havoc with the orbits of Mars, Earth, etc. What is Starfleet going to do about it?

Can't be as simple as that. Also reasoned is that the internal heat from such a planet may make it capable of supporting basic life. So, Starfleet will refuse the destruction of the planet.

"Captain ___________, we have a situation on our hands. In about 50 years a rogue planet named ZY1035 will approach the Sol System close enough to influence or delicate ecosystems. Starfleet Medical has informed us that it cannot be destroyed, so it must be __________________________________________"

Come on, what would you do. What would you have the players do. Now hopefully people reaply and you can see the variety of ways this can go...UGC will work, even for the simple missions. Give it a shot.

hmmm unfortionatly in thise case the needs of the many out number the needs of the few. I'd wait for it to drift into Federation space (if it hasnt already) then try to encourage whoever im reporting to to give the General order 24.

failing that try and deflect it so it hits vulcan instead.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 09:24 PM

Also, I remember Cryptic posting certain situations/scenarios for the community to tackel back in 2008 to early 2009. They were basically just used for promoting the game, but they were still fun none the less.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
hmmm unfortionatly in thise case the needs of the many out number the needs of the few. I'd wait for it to drift into Federation space (if it hasnt already) then try to encourage whoever im reporting to to give the General order 24.

failing that try and deflect it so it hits vulcan instead.

Sutherland, I'm surprised you didnt say "its an undine ship that beams us all aboard and turns us into undine thus giving us an Undine faction!"

I would have to agree with you on that/this :)

Archived Post 11-14-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reon (Post 3156314)
Sutherland, I'm surprised you didnt say "its an undine ship that beams us all aboard and turns us into undine thus giving us an Undine faction!"

I would have to agree with you on that/this :)

*hits reon over the head with a book* that would ruin the suprise attack you fool.

Archived Post 11-14-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
*hits reon over the head with a book* that would ruin the suprise attack you fool.

DOH!!!

apparently 10 spaces are not characters o_O

Archived Post 11-14-2010 10:06 PM

actually let me change my plan a tad...

The Yellow line will be my flight path
The Red lines the Rouge Planet (in this Scenerio)

Pauls evil Plan

ok step 1: Im at Woden doing stuff.. i then get the message about said planet... I then slowly head towards where it would enter Federation space taking several detours along the way.. then avoiding vulcan.. getting screamed at by the starbase 54 commander i rush out to help taking notes on how close vega is to earth :O ... (Didnt think it was that close) I then arrive at starbase 54 to have a planet shoved in my face.


Plan A: I somehow get the borg to assimilate the planet then provoke the Undine to come and destroy it
Plan B: Panic
Plan C: Im not on my fed toon... not my problem.
Plan D: General Order 24

Plan A can backfire horrible
Plan B aftermatch
Plan C goes wrong.
Plan D backfires

Archived Post 11-14-2010 10:07 PM

I'm supprised I didn't hear:
"Summon Q. I'm sure he is behind it."

Archived Post 11-14-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gammadelta1 (Post 3156387)
I'm supprised I didn't hear:
"Summon Q. I'm sure he is behind it."

is he? would he wait 50 years to witness a planet explode?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 PM.