Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   C-store items, free on tribble (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=191066)

Archived Post 11-30-2010 03:28 AM

C-store items, free on tribble

Might sound wierd, but the idea has been brought up before.

Why not make the c-store items avilable by defult on tribble, that way we can test out the outfits, items etc. before we buy them.

It might even get you some extra sales, since some people, including myself, want's to see and try some things before you actully buy it.

and if i got the ability to do this on tribble then i can then go to the holodeck and buy it if i like it.

aka, i woulnt just buy a car without taking it for a test drive first.
i woulnt buy clothes before trying them on first.
etc...

im thinking in the same lines with c-store items.

Archived Post 11-30-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-child (Post 3192740)
i woulnt buy clothes before trying them on first.
etc...

Online shopping would like to have a word with you.

There is a minor problem with your idea.
People would migrate over to the test server and their profits would go down.

Archived Post 11-30-2010 05:23 AM

my thinking exactly, if they offered the items on tribble for free, no one would use holodeck, people would just copy over thier char. and just use tribble, not buy anything on the c-store, profits would fall, not to mention the whole point of tribble would be void and we would have more people complaining about bugs, population, and anything else that goes wrong seing as they would not think the tribble server as a test server anymore. and then we wouldn't have a true test server and all testing would be done in-house on thier private test servers.

T-child: tell me, would you buy under garments after someone tried them on?

there are things in life you just shouldn't or wouldn't do...

this is one of those things, cryptic would loose profits and the game would suffer and therefore so would we in the end.

Archived Post 11-30-2010 07:29 AM

Part of the issue might be that people will stop playing on the Holodeck and spend all their time playing on Tribble. If you can have every ship, every weapon, every costume, every race in Tribble there's not a huge incentive to keep you playing on the Holodeck, where you have none of that.

Archived Post 11-30-2010 07:59 AM

They sort of did this with the Nebula, as well as the new Klingon ships. I suspect it will always be a "limited time only" kind of thing.

Archived Post 11-30-2010 08:01 AM

I know my new home would be Tribble if they did this :D

Archived Post 12-08-2010 02:34 AM

then all they need to do to prevent that would be a monthly whipe or whipe character data on tribble everytime a new patch hits the server.

that way you woulnt be able to get any kind of progress on tribble, unless you are ready to lose it at least once a month.

Archived Post 12-08-2010 04:55 AM

Good point, and not a bad idea. Would also allow to preview "bridge packs" as it's really hard to see what you're buying just by a single screenshot. :D

They could also disable mission rewards (skillpoints, items, emblems, ...) on Tribble to further disencourage people to see the testbed server as an alternative to Holodeck, by the way.

Archived Post 12-08-2010 05:18 AM

If I remember correctly, the C-Store is the one and the same on both Tribble and Holodeck. Because of this, making something free on one would also make it free on the other. I would like the option to purchase an item on Tribble though and have it become available for me when patched to Holodeck to show up. I don't mind paying to tet the uniforms, ships, etc that I want.

Archived Post 12-08-2010 06:26 AM

Although I understand why people would like to have that I do not thing that this will happen or is necessary.

Dont forget: Tribel is not there for us to try out other configurations of any kind.... although we of course do that.... the original purpose of tribel is nothing but testing new game function for bugs. The stuff in C-Store, especially if it is already on Holodeck, does not need Tribel testing.

New stuff ending up later in C Store is often available for free$... I have, for example, all Klingon Retrofits on my Tribel Klingon; I purchased them when it was free (dont know if it still is or not)

I mean of course I'd like to see that.... on the other hand.... I'd like to see the C-Store disapear completly and getting all Items free... SInce I already pay enough monthly. But thats simply not the way it works.