Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   My views on why STO can't hold on to it's players (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=191749)

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:13 AM

My views on why STO can't hold on to it's players
 
I bought the game on release and levelled a Klingon to max, I quit the game 2 weeks later along with all my m8's.

I returned 5 weeks ago and have since levelled up a Fed Science officer to max level, kitted the ship out with purple weapons and equipment and am pretty much ready to quit the game again.

WHY?

Well the simple reason is there is nothing at all for me to do. Yes I could spend the next 2 months farming the emblems for the XII gear but tell me why? What is the point? I can't do anything with them?

When I played WOW I farmed good gear for a reason, it was so I could attack the enemy faction. About 6 or 7 of us would gear up and then attack the Alliance, ride into their lands, cause mayhem, have an adventure, see how long we could last, get chased away by 10 or 15 Alliance, it was amazing fun.

Why in Star trek is there no neutral zone? An area of space that I can venture into and feel at risk? An area that would be exciting, an area that is not safe. I always remember watching ST and when the enterprise ventured into the neutral zone it was exciting, how can you leave this out of STO?

I would love a neutral zone where instead of enemy signal contacts, you had a system where if you came close to a ship of the opposite faction you get the option to hail them and warn them to leave the zone or attack them. If you attack you and your team are taken to an instance a bit like the current pvp battlegrounds and have to fight the enemy and his team, how cool would that be? It would add something of an adventure to this very boring end game mmo, it would certainly give me a reason to keep playing and farm for good gear.

I see no reason anyone should object to this feature being added to the game as the pvp players get something to do and the PvE players that detest pvp don't need to enter the zone, they can just continue to play the game as they do already, it's win, win.

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:17 AM

STO is losing players? or you just stating your opinion as fact? ya just your opinion as fact. This game is not powerlevers game. you need to have fun and enjoy it. If you cant do that you are going to be unhappy.

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:21 AM

Many have asked for an open pvp area. I am sure they are hearing it and it wouldn't suprise me if we end up with a nice open pvp zone. They are slow to develop things , but i am sure they are aware of the attrition. Keep checking back. Wow was not all that great 1 year into it either. it's the way of mmo's.

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanagrah
I bought the game on release and levelled a Klingon to max, I quit the game 2 weeks later along with all my m8's.

I returned 5 weeks ago and have since levelled up a Fed Science officer to max level, kitted the ship out with purple weapons and equipment and am pretty much ready to quit the game again.

WHY?

Well the simple reason is there is nothing at all for me to do. Yes I could spend the next 2 months farming the emblems for the XII gear but tell me why? What is the point? I can't do anything with them?

When I played WOW I farmed good gear for a reason, it was so I could attack the enemy faction. About 6 or 7 of us would gear up and then attack the Alliance, ride into their lands, cause mayhem, have an adventure, see how long we could last, get chased away by 10 or 15 Alliance, it was amazing fun.

Why in Star trek is there no neutral zone? An area of space that I can venture into and feel at risk? An area that would be exciting, an area that is not safe. I always remember watching ST and when the enterprise ventured into the neutral zone it was exciting, how can you leave this out of STO?

I would love a neutral zone where instead of enemy signal contacts, you had a system where if you came close to a ship of the opposite faction you get the option to hail them and warn them to leave the zone or attack them. If you attack you and your team are taken to an instance a bit like the current pvp battlegrounds and have to fight the enemy and his team, how cool would that be? It would add something of an adventure to this very boring end game mmo, it would certainly give me a reason to keep playing and farm for good gear.

I see no reason anyone should object to this feature being added to the game as the pvp players get something to do and the PvE players that detest pvp don't need to enter the zone, they can just continue to play the game as they do already, it's win, win.

There improving the game month after month. Season 5 is featured to extend end game play,
all this effort the devs are continuing to do for us player and we still get people like you on the forums who nay say about wimsical things.

Who cares if you got bored, go play another game and dont bother putting up threads up that are just pety and childish.

I'm not aving a go mate, It just realy ticks me off when some one nays says about this game. Dstahl and gang have done so much in less than a year and the game is almost completly changed 10 fold. Its just unfair to start threads like this, when realy the Devs could just leave the game well alone and concentrate on neverwinter.

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:27 AM

People come and go because of content - the same reason I have left many games over the years. STO allows you to level to 51 too quickly and then has nothing substantial for you to do once you get there. As more content gets added to the game (PvP and PvE) that will change, but for now there are always going to be people who don't want to do the same thing multiple times who leave. That's not uncommon in any MMO.

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artika1 (Post 3202690)
STO is losing players? or you just stating your opinion as fact? ya just your opinion as fact. This game is not powerlevers game. you need to have fun and enjoy it. If you cant do that you are going to be unhappy.

Exactly. This game is not for power levelers. I leveled up two toons within a few months of STO going live because I'm having fun, not just to get that high level toon with all the best gear.

I don't farm for gear. In all the time I've been here I have picked up one antiproton weapon for one toon and that's only because I was doing the dailies in Orellius for experience. I was happy to see I had enough Emblems to get one :D

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:31 AM

It's quite easy why people don't end up staying in STO.

1) Repetitiveness: Keep doing the same missions day after day, especially with multiple characters, it becomes boring. Exploration missions are really terrible with this.

2) Fast Climb to High-End: For a hardcore player this can be easily done within a few days. They hit high-end, do everything, grind emblems and equip their characters and that's it, nothing else to do.

3) A war without a war. Territoral PvP on multiple fronts would really add to the emersion of actual war and give players a reason to fight.

4) Socializing: Outside of Earth, there is very little communication and very little reason for players to socialize. The return of the STFs might get some people to gain friendships for a little while at least.

These are a few things I view as STO's flaws.

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:33 AM

I made the mistake of mentioning WOW, I apologise, so much hate towards a person that mentiones that game.

All I am saying is I would like a neutral zone for open PvP and I gave a pretty good suggestion as to how that zone would work and all I get is abused, called childish and told to go play another game, then the same poster calls me m8 and says he is not having a go, it's unreal, what an awful community.

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanagrah
I made the mistake of mentioning WOW, I apologise, so much hate towards a person that mentiones that game.

All I am saying is I would like a neutral zone for open PvP and I gave a pretty good suggestion as to how that zone would work and all I get is abused, called childish and told to go play another game, then the same poster calls me m8 and says he is not having a go, it's unreal, what an awful community.

I'm guessing you don't spend much time on gaming forums. :)

If there's any hate it's directed toward the idea that the Devs have already talked about wanting to add some open PvP zones. It's on the list. It just takes time to get to. There's nothing we can do but be patient and wait for it to get here - for those interested in it. I'm not one of those people.

Archived Post 12-04-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanagrah
I made the mistake of mentioning WOW, I apologise, so much hate towards a person that mentiones that game.

All I am saying is I would like a neutral zone for open PvP and I gave a pretty good suggestion as to how that zone would work and all I get is abused, called childish and told to go play another game, then the same poster calls me m8 and says he is not having a go, it's unreal, what an awful community.

I played WoW for 3 months last summer. The person who bought me the game and the game time said they would help me. All I got was some in-game chat from them, they never really showed up to help me. I stopped playing after my time expired because it really wasn't for me. I have nothing against WoW myself but it does leave a bad impression with some people.

Perhaps you could have just posted about open PVP and not be so dramatic ;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:32 PM.