Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   A request to mission builders (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=191976)

Archived Post 12-05-2010 11:56 AM

A request to mission builders

I have to say that Cryptic has been doing a really great job of churning out really good, interesting content via the weekly series'.

That said, when it comes to the ground portion of this game, it just amounts to turd polish. Sure, it's shiny, sure there's some really clean bits. But under it all is an engine that is complete crap. There's no kind way of saying it; I loathe the prompt to beam down. It makes me want to log off. The only reason I suffer through it is to get the mission rewards.

And now, having said that, comes the request:

To you wonderful individuals who will be devoting time to building new content for your fellow players to enjoy I humbly ask that you make some fantastic SPACE ONLY missions. To be clear, I'm not asking for space combat missions. I mean space only.

Have me chase a Maquis raider through the badlands. Curse my vessel with nanites and have me fly dangerously close to some radiation source to kill them like a cancer. Force me to take a Boff with Mask Energy Signature and then run reconnaissance through a sector, scanning and "marking" targets for the follow up invasion mission. And yes, on occassion, if you like, have me obliterate wave after wave of suicidal vessels oblivious to the hopeless nature of their attack.

But for the love of God (or whatever deity, higher power, positive energy, or feel-good mumbo-jumbo you believe in) do not prompt me to leave my ship.

Thank you.

Archived Post 12-05-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gildred (Post 3204689)
I have to say that Cryptic has been doing a really great job of churning out really good, interesting content via the weekly series'.

That said, when it comes to the ground portion of this game, it just amounts to turd polish. Sure, it's shiny, sure there's some really clean bits. But under it all is an engine that is complete crap. There's no kind way of saying it; I loathe the prompt to beam down. It makes me want to log off. The only reason I suffer through it is to get the mission rewards.

To you wonderful individuals who will be devoting time to building new content for your fellow players to enjoy I humbly ask that you make some fantastic SPACE ONLY missions. To be clear, I'm not asking for space combat missions. I mean space only.

Have me chase a Maquis raider through the badlands. Curse my vessel with nanites and have me fly dangerously close to some radiation source to kill them like a cancer. Force me to take a Boff with Mask Energy Signature and then run reconnaissance through a sector, scanning and "marking" targets for the follow up invasion mission. And yes, on occassion, if you like, have me obliterate wave after wave of suicidal vessels oblivious to the hopeless nature of their attack.

But for the love of God (or whatever deity, higher power, positive energy, or feel-good mumbo-jumbo you believe in) do not prompt me to leave my ship.

Thank you.

It sounds to me like you want A) to make a bunch of missions with the content you're describing (because dude, cool ideas), and B) want there to be a keyword flag for 'Space Only.'

I'll admit that my first major episode doesn't have any actual ground combat in it (though there is some space combat), but a large part of it's on the ground, and there will be ground combat in later episodes I make. Sorry, it's just what I'm interesting in writing. ;)

Archived Post 12-05-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Thank you.

I suppose if I could, I would implement your ideas. But as it stands now, there's not a whole lot we can do. So I'm just practicing my Foundry skills and making whatever until it's expanded.

Archived Post 12-05-2010 12:49 PM

A) I really wish I had time to make content, because honestly I would love to. However my video game time is precious so when I do get some I want to log in and captain a starship, not fight with a horribly frustrating un-fun and ultimately boring ground combat system.

B) That would be PERFECT.

and an implied C) Of course! Write what you like. And in all honesty, if there's a 5 star (or however they will be rated) mission out there that includes ground aspects, I will in all likelihood end up playing it for the writing because I am a huge Star Trek fan. But ya, know that I will be cursing your name for making me endure the painful exercise that is ground combat.

And Dstahl, if you're reading... ever play Vindictus? Now THAT'S how you build a FUN mmo ground combat engine. ;)

Archived Post 12-05-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Have me chase a Maquis raider through the badlands.

I'll have to spend some time thinking about the others, but unfortunately I can already tell you that the first idea you mentioned is currently not possible because we do not have the ability to set a path for NPCs to follow.

Archived Post 12-05-2010 01:51 PM

Thanks Nagus, no problem. I'm sure the tool will have limitations and may expand with time.

Those ideas were just off-the-top of my head for space-based mission objectives that weren't combat related. I'm sure you creative types will come up with far better.