Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Foundry wipes in the future? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=192226)

Archived Post 12-07-2010 12:40 AM

Foundry wipes in the future?

As the foundry gets upgraded, I assume there will be times that a wipe might be required. Will it be possible to save something of a mission at that point to survive the wipe, or would we simply need to have a word document of the storyboard and text to remake it from scratch?

When the time comes for such a wipe, will there be ample warning for us to backup whatever info we need?

Archived Post 12-07-2010 12:49 AM

just to be clear there will be a wipe at the end of the tribble testing. they have already said this and the only way it to use a word doc or make a note of what you have done.

once its actually live there have been no indications they will ever need to wipe anything so as far as i can tell there should only be the one wipe.

Archived Post 12-07-2010 12:53 AM

Err, they didn't say there would be a wipe. They said that the stuff from Tribble wouldn't transfer to Holodeck... so if you want to, put it in a Word Doc and manually transfer it.

Archived Post 12-07-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -GEN-Alaris
Err, they didn't say there would be a wipe. They said that the stuff from Tribble wouldn't transfer to Holodeck... so if you want to, put it in a Word Doc and manually transfer it.

yes of course your right they never said the actual stuff on tribble will be going but i doubt anyone will spend much time on tribble when holo goes live. so as holo will start with nothing its almost the same thing.

Archived Post 12-07-2010 01:19 AM

I'd say a wipe is possible. According to the patch notes, part of the reason they took the foundry off Tribble is because they needed to address "several related infrastructure issues."

If the work they do in that time winds up changing how the information is stored and such, quite possible they'll wipe it all.

I wouldn't expect a warning that it will happen either. If you want to keep the work, save what you can and/or need in text files. You'll most likely want it so you can bring your ideas to the live server anyway.

Archived Post 12-07-2010 03:59 AM

If the Tribble beta goes long...and it might.

They might look into mission file transfers....not the test toons though.
They might....but don't hold your breath over it.

Meow

Archived Post 12-07-2010 04:59 AM

I'd definitely go into this with the default assumption that your Tribble maps might get wiped and will never be transferred to Holodeck.

Now I am suddenly regretting manually placing the 39 wrecks on my Wolf 359 map. I won't be able to copy & paste that to word...

Archived Post 12-07-2010 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully (Post 3208188)
I'd definitely go into this with the default assumption that your Tribble maps might get wiped and will never be transferred to Holodeck.

Now I am suddenly regretting manually placing the 39 wrecks on my Wolf 359 map. I won't be able to copy & paste that to word...

They've discussed map saving but the lack of that feature has influenced what I test.

Archived Post 12-07-2010 05:17 AM

Agreed, I tested a small ish mission to participate in the testing and to learn the process but alot of map elements and even dialog was limited because everything is just going to have to be reproduced on holodeck

Archived Post 12-07-2010 05:57 AM

I hope they make a export/import even if we have to pay LOL