Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   What's Next For Ship Interiors? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=192684)

Archived Post 12-09-2010 06:32 PM

What's Next For Ship Interiors?

So many of us have ideas as to what Cryptic should do with ship interiors, now that season 3 is out the door and the Foundry is almost up.

There are a lot of ways ship interiors can get even better than what it is. For one thing, I hope to see more bridge options, perhaps functionality and customizability (with perhaps is coming with Foundtry), Live windows (seeing planets and stars and nebula outside windows instead of a black screen), observation lounge connected to bridge, etc. etc.

I think ship interiors have the potential to really make STO rock!

What do you want to see next for ship interiors in season 4-5?

Archived Post 12-09-2010 06:53 PM

One thing I would like to see is a revamp on mission replay.

I like how they have made it so you have to use your ready room to access it but I was thinking of a way to make it "more Star Trek" as stated as a goal in the latest Ask Cryptic.

What I was thinking was say you access the mission you want to replay then the computer gives you a message, "Mission loaded, report to Holodeck 1". Then you would have you leave your bridge and head to a new room on your crew deck holding a Holodeck based on the size of your interior, im thinking TNG/Large, Voyager/Medium, Holosweet/Small of course all federation style updated for 2405 but just as a general size reference.

Then when in the holodeck you have the option of choosing mission simulation (orignal difficulty) or traning mission (scaling difficulty) before the holodeck would load the simulation. Then just use a holodeck loading screen as the map loads both in game and in universe untill the simulation starts and your droped into the first section of the mission be it space or ground combat.

It may require some reworking of some of the missions that have you warp into sector space to location after location (looking specifically at the arbitrary sector space jumping defri mission :rolleyes:) but I think it would be a really nice touch. :)

Archived Post 12-09-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simeet (Post 3214705)
So many of us have ideas as to what Cryptic should do with ship interiors, now that season 3 is out the door and the Foundry is almost up.

There are a lot of ways ship interiors can get even better than what it is. For one thing, I hope to see more bridge options, perhaps functionality and customizability (with perhaps is coming with Foundtry), Live windows (seeing planets and stars and nebula outside windows instead of a black screen), observation lounge connected to bridge, etc. etc.

I think ship interiors have the potential to really make STO rock!

What do you want to see next for ship interiors in season 4-5?

What you are probably going to see down the line is (in no particular order):
1) Foundry gets the ability to use you ship interior as a mission setting and you can set your own stories on your ship, like they have in most episodes of the TV show e.g. TNG's "Disaster"

2) Season 4 or 5 you'll get the Poker minigame added to the lounge and then suddenly there wiil be STO poker nights where players invite each other over for poker matches. Or maybe they will make it so that you can play solo against your NPC bridge crew? I think that would be more interesting...

3) Foundry gets the ability to let you custom build your own ship interior using its interior design tools. Probably Season 6 stuff here.

4) Season 5 you will get to see your crew in your ship interior. Following the upgrades to the crew management system in Season 4 where you get to pick your chief medical officer, etc, and add in random crew members to "slots" you will get to actually see them in Season 5 when they hook that info into the NPC spawns in your ship.

5) Season 6+ beyond, they will actually put in a holodeck set for your interior and move the mission replay there from your ready room because it makes more sense that a "simulation" replay of your past missions is happening there instead of in your ready room.

6) They finally add in the observation lounge as a room on your ship instead of being some random place you beam in and out of during first contacts or when talking to Deferi ambassadors.

7) Probably in 2012... they finally get around to fixing that annoying "Beam off the bridge" thing to return to your ship view.

Archived Post 12-09-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galactrix (Post 3214765)
What you are probably going to see down the line is (in no particular order):
1) Foundry gets the ability to use you ship interior as a mission setting and you can set your own stories on your ship, like they have in most episodes of the TV show e.g. TNG's "Disaster"

2) Season 4 or 5 you'll get the Poker minigame added to the lounge and then suddenly there wiil be STO poker nights where players invite each other over for poker matches. Or maybe they will make it so that you can play solo against your NPC bridge crew? I think that would be more interesting...

3) Foundry gets the ability to let you custom build your own ship interior using its interior design tools. Probably Season 6 stuff here.

4) Season 5 you will get to see your crew in your ship interior. Following the upgrades to the crew management system in Season 4 where you get to pick your chief medical officer, etc, and add in random crew members to "slots" you will get to actually see them in Season 5 when they hook that info into the NPC spawns in your ship.

5) Season 6+ beyond, they will actually put in a holodeck set for your interior and move the mission replay there from your ready room because it makes more sense that a "simulation" replay of your past missions is happening there instead of in your ready room.

6) They finally add in the observation lounge as a room on your ship instead of being some random place you beam in and out of during first contacts or when talking to Deferi ambassadors.

7) Probably in 2012... they finally get around to fixing that annoying "Beam off the bridge" thing to return to your ship view.

I think there is a lot more they can do with ship interiors. But you have some good ideas.

Archived Post 12-09-2010 07:45 PM

Some good ideas have already been posted here and in other threads. Here's my two cents.

-Having holodecks added and moving mission replay to them is a definite must for season 4 or 5 (should be done for season 4 since there is already so much focus on crew and ground mechanics for that update).

-More minigames but that can be played inside your ship (with or without inviting friends to play). Games like poker, or 3D chess, among others.

-Another thing they could do for season 4 is selection of missions for your Bridge Officers, where they could have missions inside your ship relating to the specialty of the officer (missions in engineering for Engineering Officer, medical or science ones for Science officer, etc). Upon completing the mission your officer could gain a new passive bonus as a reward (like gaining ''adept repairman'' for your engineering Officer, which grants a small bonus to any repair skills you have for that officer -like science team-).

--You could have a variety of missions that grant different bonuses, so you can pick the ones that fit to the skills you have on your officers. It would add an extra element of customization for your officers, and add more attachment to that officer. Plus it adds a sense of realism and a star trek feel to it, since you would see characters gain a lot of experience and thus be extra good at their jobs.

--There are plenty ways to balance this out in the game so it wouldn't end up being abused or too much of a bonus. Plus, anyone could do these missions and gain those bonuses for their officers, too. You could also have a cap of how many bonuses you get for officers, so you don't have an Uber officer with like 10 passive bonuses (not everyone is cut out to be a renaissance man; maybe the holographic and Borg officers could have a slightly bigger cap -say 5 total bonuses being obtainable instead of just 3 like the other races-.

Archived Post 12-09-2010 07:47 PM

Being able to put all those random crewmembers in my interior into their proper uniforms matching mine is the first step that should be done IMO.

Archived Post 12-10-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgomir (Post 3214878)
Being able to put all those random crewmembers in my interior into their proper uniforms matching mine is the first step that should be done IMO.

Yes, that's a good one too. A relatively small step but a good step in the right direction for ship interiors.

Archived Post 12-10-2010 04:54 PM

nobody has any ideas?

Archived Post 12-10-2010 04:58 PM

I want to customize the look of my ship interior, color scheme, maybe some different hallway options, room configurations, make my ship unique from other peoples.

Archived Post 12-10-2010 04:59 PM

I remember back in March I beamed to my bridge and to my surprise, I found the ESD on my View Screen. So I know its possible for that to happen. I just wonder why it only happened that once.