Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Been looking through the ship submissions, and see none like mine. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=193107)

Archived Post 12-11-2010 02:15 PM

Been looking through the ship submissions, and see none like mine.

That probably means I missed something and have no chance of winning, but I see no other submission that is anything like mine. What do you think?

Full Res Version

See it on the contest page here.

If you like it, let me know because I'm afraid it may be too out there to really have a chance of winning, not to mention getting through the popularity beginning part of the contest. Even if you hate it let me know. :) I'm just OCD like that.

Cheers!

Archived Post 12-11-2010 02:21 PM

I think your ship looks like something designed for the 22nd century, rather like this ship. And 4km length!? Is it an inter-galactic explorer? In that case it should be the Enterprise-X or something from the far distant future.

Archived Post 12-11-2010 02:23 PM

to be honest, its not my cup of tea. i wont insult your artistic work because obviously you put a great effort into it. but i personally dont like the shape or the size. mostly the size....its the same issue people have had with the J....its too damn big. imagine five or six of those attempting to dock at ESD or DS9....it lock up the game for anyone in the instance.

Archived Post 12-11-2010 03:10 PM

4km Stem to Stern? 89,000 Souls aboard? I'm sorry, the Galaxy Class had just a tad more than 1,000, since when did Starfleet start building mobile Space Stations?

Why is it that most fan-made designs are always uber-1337-epic-mega-ships? 90 decks, internal volume measured in cubic kilometers, thousands of ridiculously overpowered torpedoes, redundant shields and Warp Cores preventing the ship from ever being believably disabled by any thing.. Why can't anybody ever design anything more realistic?

when designing a ship, I say keep the following in mind: Wolf 359 was considered a devastating loss for the Federation. 11,000 people lost their lives in that battle. The battles of the Dominion wars cost the Fedearation more, but losses were shared with the Klingons, and later, the Romulans.

The loss with all hands of one ship like you propose would be devastating on a scale you cannot imagine, no Starfleet shipwright in his right mind would ever propose anything like it, his superiors would have him stripped of rank & privilege and on the next transport home with a permanent black mark on his record for such gross incompetence.

Archived Post 12-11-2010 03:15 PM

^ what she said.

Archived Post 12-11-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katic (Post 3219107)
4km Stem to Stern? 89,000 Souls aboard? I'm sorry, the Galaxy Class had just a tad more than 1,000, since when did Starfleet start building mobile Space Stations?

Why is it that most fan-made designs are always uber-1337-epic-mega-ships? 90 decks, internal volume measured in cubic kilometers, thousands of ridiculously overpowered torpedoes, redundant shields and Warp Cores preventing the ship from ever being believably disabled by any thing.. Why can't anybody ever design anything more realistic?

Because [some] fans think uber is somehow really good for storytelling.

Quote:

Yes, that's me in my profile pick, yes, I'm 26, a girl, and I play STO, no, I'm not single, I'm engaged, to a Marine, no, I won't send you any pictures of me, yes, I play both factions, Feds and the KDF, no, I won't join your fleet. Now stop PMing me.
Your sig made me laugh. Do people really ask you for pics? Its wrong, but for some reason that makes me chuckle my butt off, but only because I commented on your pic a week or so ago. I'm hoping that I didn't cause a bunch of lonely trek fans to start bugging you with that.

Archived Post 12-11-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shizaru

I certainly have to disagree with them, if there's no risk, there's no suspense.

Quote:

Your sig made me laugh. Do people really ask you for pics? Its wrong, but for some reason that makes me chuckle my butt off, but only because I commented on your pic a week or so ago. I'm hoping that I didn't cause a bunch of lonely trek fans to start bugging you with that.

They have in the past, but not so much lately. Messages don't tend to follow someone posting about it, it more often follows my appearance in parts of the forums I don't normally go from people who haven't seen me around in Information & Discussion, Federation or Klingon Gameplay, or the Tribble Forums.

It's partially my own fault for exposing myself to larger amounts of forum goers, but I put that sig in there to discourage them as much as possible.

Archived Post 12-11-2010 04:05 PM

[quote=Katic;3219185]
Quote:

Quote:

I certainly have to disagree with them, if there's no risk, there's no suspense.
I totally agree. Thats why I hated DS9's episode By Inferno's Light. Really, the Dominion was going to destroy the Bajoran Sun? A star? They can do that?

Blowing up a planet is stretching it for my personal suspension of disbelief, but blowing up a star is just....ridiculous unless you're Q, Galactus or Dark Phoenix. Stars are freaking massive, and old....our own sun is 93 million miles away and you can still freaking see it! Making that kind of technology available to races in the Trekverse makes any war superflous. But only if you think about it. Which people usually don't they just go 'Wow! Those evil bad guys were going to blow up the bajoran sun" without thinking about the implications of anyone having that technology would be like.

Just like the uber ships. People think "The enterprise Z would have this/that/the other thing, whole towns in it, with quadruple strength mega shields, 7000 phaser banks, 9000 Quantum big bang torpedoes and a cloaking device!" because its invincible then...without thinking how there would be no drama in a story with such a powerful ship.

Quote:

They have in the past, but not so much lately. Messages don't tend to follow someone posting about it, it more often follows my appearance in parts of the forums I don't normally go from people who haven't seen me around in Information & Discussion, Federation or Klingon Gameplay, or the Tribble Forums.

It's partially my own fault for exposing myself to larger amounts of forum goers, but I put that sig in there to discourage them as much as possible.
I am so glad that I never got to the level of geekiness that would make me chase girls on an internet Trek forum. :D. But then, I've been married for 16 years...my girl chasin' days are behind me.

Archived Post 12-11-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EberKain (Post 3219026)
That probably means I missed something and have no chance of winning, but I see no other submission that is anything like mine. What do you think?

Full Res Version

See it on the contest page here.

If you like it, let me know because I'm afraid it may be too out there to really have a chance of winning, not to mention getting through the popularity beginning part of the contest. Even if you hate it let me know. :) I'm just OCD like that.

Cheers!

I actually seen some designs with a similar Pylon layout

And no offense, but this design isn't going to win. John Eaves once said not too long ago that Federation Starships have a certain sleekness about them, and unfortunately yours don't meet that criteria.

"Universe-class" is already the ship-class name of the Enterprise-J.

4km makes it nearly 2x as large as the Enterprise-J, when the Enterprise-J is 2300m long.

And you nerded up the description with too much technobabble.

Archived Post 12-11-2010 04:13 PM

I think the OP may have forgotten that the Enterprise-F is supposed to be an intermediary step between the E and the J. I could be mistaken, but a ship that's four kilometers long is bigger than the Enterprise-J. And I would say that the F should look more similar to the Sovereign class than anything else. Not exactly the same, but with a similar flat, streamlined profile.

Quote:

I am so glad that I never got to the level of geekiness that would make me chase girls on an internet Trek forum.

Potential girls. The online persona doesn't always match the equipment below the belt, you know.