Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   How to fix "Faction" is overpowered (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=194378)

Archived Post 12-21-2010 12:16 AM

How to fix "Faction" is overpowered
 
Remove FvK, and KvF. Problem solved.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 12:19 AM

but but but I want to beat up feds with my klingon and vice versa.... new strategy.... nerf whining?

Archived Post 12-21-2010 01:57 AM

Heh, that would work. The only other option is to create exact mirror faction ships. Most people want faction uniqueness but it's the only true way to end the "X" is OP whining.

My thoughts on how to do that:

- Fed ships get "stealth" mode (built in MES - less effective but with shields, or just a cloak if you prefer)
- Feds get a carrier (ugh), or Klingon carriers are removed (Yay)
- Defiant tweaked to match BoP characteristics (or new Fed light-escort introduced)
- Klingons get an Orion sci ship (Intrepid mirror) and a Klingon "spy" sci ship (Recon mirror)
- Klingons get Orion/Gorn escort (Advanced mirror)
- Klingons get an Excelsior and Nebula mirror
- Hull and Shield values equalized
- All gimmicky ship special abilities removed?

Then the only thing that's OP is skill, teamwork, and brains. Can't fix that though.

It Could also help with ending C-Store favortism. When a new ship is introduced Cryptic knows it needs a Fed version and a Klingon version, and they might even make more money!

So I'm not saying I want this to happen, but it would be interesting to see. I'd still prefer that Feds have no cloak while klingons obviously do. But I don't think it's a stretch to believe that the Federation wouldn't develop cloak alternatives for defensive purposes. A "stealth mode" seams reasonable for the Federation's philosophy (we don't sneak around).

Archived Post 12-21-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock_Monster (Post 3236857)
Heh, that would work. The only other option is to create exact mirror faction ships. Most people want faction uniqueness but it's the only true way to end the "X" is OP whining.

My thoughts on how to do that:

- Fed ships get "stealth" mode (built in MES - less effective but with shields, or just a cloak if you prefer)
- Feds get a carrier (ugh), or Klingon carriers are removed (Yay)
- Defiant tweaked to match BoP characteristics (or new Fed light-escort introduced)
- Klingons get an Orion sci ship (Intrepid mirror) and a Klingon "spy" sci ship (Recon mirror)
- Klingons get Orion/Gorn escort (Advanced mirror)
- Klingons get an Excelsior and Nebula mirror
- Hull and Shield values equalized
- All gimmicky ship special abilities removed?

Then the only thing that's OP is skill, teamwork, and brains. Can't fix that though.

It Could also help with ending C-Store favortism. When a new ship is introduced Cryptic knows it needs a Fed version and a Klingon version, and they might even make more money!

So I'm not saying I want this to happen, but it would be interesting to see. I'd still prefer that Feds have no cloak while klingons obviously do. But I don't think it's a stretch to believe that the Federation wouldn't develop cloak alternatives for defensive purposes. A "stealth mode" seams reasonable for the Federation's philosophy (we don't sneak around).

Well.. Just remove every BO skill, and make ships with statistics (speed, shield, turn, weapons) built in.. Remove all customization and make the 2 factions carbon copies of eachother.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 02:39 AM

Yeah.. because we all run the same build don't we. What's more important, the uniqueness of the ships you're fighting? or the players you're fighting? Are not FvF and KvK battles exciting when fought by good teams?

Again, I don't care if one way or the other if both factions are exact copies or not. I would say my only beef with PvP is that's it's more PvPvNPCvSpam.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock_Monster (Post 3236879)
Yeah.. because we all run the same build don't we. What's more important, the uniqueness of the ships you're fighting? or the players you're fighting? Are not FvF and KvK battles exciting when fought by good teams?

Again, I don't care if one way or the other if both factions are exact copies or not. I would say my only beef with PvP is that's it's more PvPvNPCvSpam.

Amen Brother.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 04:19 AM

*No BO space based abilities
*No space based captain abilities
*Ships with fixed weapon loadouts
*A new power management system, where higher level equipment requires more power (which can be slightly offset with higher level warp cores, some of which can only be fitted to specific craft).
*Passive ship repair takes far longer, with active ship repair being done using consumable kits (faster but not instantaneous). Kits can be beamed from ship to ship (requiring a dropping of shields) and can even be stolen from an opponents. Each ship can have a maximum of 9.
*Death penalties are active.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alendiak
*No BO space based abilities
*No space based captain abilities
*Ships with fixed weapon loadouts
*A new power management system, where higher level equipment requires more power (which can be slightly offset with higher level warp cores, some of which can only be fitted to specific craft).
*Passive ship repair takes far longer, with active ship repair being done using consumable kits (faster but not instantaneous). Kits can be beamed from ship to ship (requiring a dropping of shields) and can even be stolen from an opponents. Each ship can have a maximum of 9.
*Death penalties are active.

End results..

99% of the Fed populatiuon cancel their subscription because they never get out of the Miranda.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alendiak
*No BO space based abilities
*No space based captain abilities
*Ships with fixed weapon loadouts
*A new power management system, where higher level equipment requires more power (which can be slightly offset with higher level warp cores, some of which can only be fitted to specific craft).
*Passive ship repair takes far longer, with active ship repair being done using consumable kits (faster but not instantaneous). Kits can be beamed from ship to ship (requiring a dropping of shields) and can even be stolen from an opponents. Each ship can have a maximum of 9.
*Death penalties are active.

terrible Idea.

If something like this EVER happened to STO PvP- i would leave it nice and fast.

there is no fix to the OP argument. People *****, moan, and whine all day about something being OP(no but seriously fireworks ARE, AND I HAVE THEM SO I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT N00BS). If this game ever went to the way of being like a game of checkers balance(IE: identical ships and abilities) then cryptic would lose almost ALL the PvP enthusiasts faster than you can say why you hated Star Trek Enterprise(but dont you DARE hate on Porthos or Phlox)

Archived Post 12-21-2010 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alendiak
*No BO space based abilities
*No space based captain abilities
*Ships with fixed weapon loadouts
*A new power management system, where higher level equipment requires more power (which can be slightly offset with higher level warp cores, some of which can only be fitted to specific craft).
*Passive ship repair takes far longer, with active ship repair being done using consumable kits (faster but not instantaneous). Kits can be beamed from ship to ship (requiring a dropping of shields) and can even be stolen from an opponents. Each ship can have a maximum of 9.
*Death penalties are active.

"BAD IDEA"

Though the real fix for the devs is to test the new ships in a pvp arena thoroughly before releasing them.

Point and case.

Season 2.0 = 3 Federation Refit Ships / 1 Carrier (Carriers were worthless before the last change) = OP Federation = A lot of previous Klingon players either leaving the game or switching over to the fed because of the feel of lack of development for the Klingon empire.

- Wait a few months -

Klingon refit ships + Klingon NPC Pet Change = OP Klingons (Minus the B'rel which is just plain horrible) = A lot of Federation players making Klingon Captains

Also, Devs.

Klingons do not need more PVE content. To be honest, I was very disappointed with the so called "Klingon Patch" where you introduced a few PVE missions and promptly returned to the federation after finishing the missions. Klingons need more PVP content which can be done by adding incentives for winning PVP matches on both sides but not necessarily against the opposite empire.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32 AM.