Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Looking for a Mentor (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=194402)

Archived Post 12-21-2010 07:42 AM

Looking for a Mentor

I am pretty sure I have progressed as far as I can in terms of skills just working on my own. My current fleet is mostly tac/esc and eng/cruiser, leaving myself as one of the very few sci captains. What is the best way to look for someone who is better, or knows tips and tricks I dont to help improve my game? I'm mostly PVE but also looking for PVP tips.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 07:48 AM

Some clarifying questions:
  • Are you a science captain wishing to stay in science vessels?
  • What ships do you enjoy flying the most?
  • Do you want to use the power of science to take out carriers?
  • Do you prefer support roles, dealing massive damage, or lasting the whole fight?

Archived Post 12-21-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Some clarifying questions:
  • Are you a science captain wishing to stay in science vessels?
  • What ships do you enjoy flying the most?
  • Do you want to use the power of science to take out carriers?
  • Do you prefer support roles, dealing massive damage, or lasting the whole fight?

I fly sci ships. I personally LOVE the way the REC flies, but the ensign BO tac ability was a waste so I switched to the refit intrepid. I sometimes fly nebula but it isnt that great of a fit for me.

I have not gone up against a carrier yet. Its been a while since I have PVP'd. I do know how to kill cruisers with a DSSV pretty easily. I'm pretty sure carriers are a whole different beast though.

I prefer a controller, or healing build. I tend to switch out BO's on the fly to accomodate circumstances.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bsranger (Post 3237263)
I fly sci ships. I personally LOVE the way the REC flies, but the ensign BO tac ability was a waste so I switched to the refit intrepid. I sometimes fly nebula but it isnt that great of a fit for me.

As far as the RSV, a lot of Science captains take Tactical Team at that extra Ensign spot because they don't have other Tac buffs choices - plus it's a descent support ability for others when you're teaming.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic_One (Post 3237280)
As far as the RSV, a lot of Science captains take Tactical Team at that extra Ensign spot because they don't have other Tac buffs choices - plus it's a descent support ability for others when you're teaming.

I just like the look of the luna and its turn rate. Otherwise the build of the intrepid is right up my alley. A third tac console would be nice though...... :P

Archived Post 12-21-2010 09:19 AM

Ok, are you lookng or a mentor ingame? Case if so, a number of people i my fleet are vey goo at etting up builds. They even managed to set up a good build for me, and I'm also a Science officer most of the time. If yu'd like some help ingame,just look for the Solar Storm fleet, and we should be able to set you up rather nicely.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesmidsen (Post 3237419)
Ok, are you lookng or a mentor ingame? Case if so, a number of people i my fleet are vey goo at etting up builds. They even managed to set up a good build for me, and I'm also a Science officer most of the time. If yu'd like some help ingame,just look for the Solar Storm fleet, and we should be able to set you up rather nicely.

How do i look up members of a particular fleet?

Archived Post 12-21-2010 09:24 AM

I fly an Intrepid with my SCI Alt. I'm setup for Tachyon Beam and try to actually kill things with my SCI toon. Never really worried about being a "support" ship or healer and never really cared for "tanking" specifically.

I used to have a "variety" of BO setups rigged on my tray so I could switch around my abilities between crowd control or single assault for large capitol ships. This worked ok for PVE but wasn't a lot of help in PVP.

I found out that by not specializing in one thing I could not do very well in anything. So I abandoned the versatile approach and concentrated on using one setup that worked well for me all the time.

I am happier now and worry less about anything... it's all about YOU being Happy with what you have.

As Far as Mentoring Goes... I'm not sure what it is that your looking for, but feel free to ask me in-game.
Of Course My Sci Toon is a Female in an Intrepid - ala Janeway - so I like to be a bad @ss taking out Bad Guys as much as possible, but I'm sure other players have different ambitions.

Archived Post 12-21-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
I fly an Intrepid with my SCI Alt. I'm setup for Tachyon Beam and try to actually kill things with my SCI toon. Never really worried about being a "support" ship or healer and never really cared for "tanking" specifically.

I used to have a "variety" of BO setups rigged on my tray so I could switch around my abilities between crowd control or single assault for large capitol ships. This worked ok for PVE but wasn't a lot of help in PVP.

I found out that by not specializing in one thing I could not do very well in anything. So I abandoned the versatile approach and concentrated on using one setup that worked well for me all the time.

I am happier now and worry less about anything... it's all about YOU being Happy with what you have.

As Far as Mentoring Goes... I'm not sure what it is that your looking for, but feel free to ask me in-game.
Of Course My Sci Toon is a Female in an Intrepid - ala Janeway - so I like to be a bad @ss taking out Bad Guys as much as possible, but I'm sure other players have different ambitions.

Yeah, you have been busy with foundry. I didn't want to take your time away from that. Can you see in game messages while in foundry?
As for specializing within a certain play style I had 3 sci captains with specialized builds, so I'm trying to see how versitile and effective i can be otherwise.