Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Not enough infection to go around (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=195234)

Archived Post 12-27-2010 09:00 PM

Not enough infection to go around

This is how my STF experience has been going the past few days. I wander in the Gamma sector, find a team that's doing Infected RA, play until we get to deeper, in which 1 or 2 peeps decide it's time for bed. They log off and I beam out, looking to complete the mission. After 30 mins of loitering, I barely find enough people for an STF, but they want to do Infected VA.

Normally I would just accept the VA mission and start from the beginning, knowing that I can always continue the RA later. But now, if I want to do something, I have to drop my RA. So I drop the RA, go VA, get to Fact or Fiction and three people leave. So I beam out, look for another group...and the only people I can find are people wanting to do Infected RA...from Deeper.

I understand fixing loot exploits...and I understand PUG's are not the best, but this is highly counter productive. Is there any way to fix the exploit without limited my play? I would make the same suggestion as I would for B'Tran, and thats get rid of multiple instances of the same zone and make them one. I would also luv to see a STF queue, like in PvP. I'd hafta be in Gamma to be in it, but at least I can grab a sammich and not actively watch the chat channel.

Not sure if my suggestions are good or not, dev's r the experts, just wondering if ne1 else feels the same way.

Archived Post 12-27-2010 09:37 PM

just wait until you find a group doing infected RA from Deeper...that's what I did when a couple members of my original PUG dropped and it didn't take too long (less than an hour) to find another PUG starting from Deeper...just be patient, or join a fleet where people won't drop in the middle of the mission

Archived Post 12-27-2010 11:23 PM

I think ur missing the point. I don't want to wait and sit and do nothing for an hour. As far as the fleet goes, I personally don't have the time for fleets...but whatever the reason is, I would like to see better PUGin.

Archived Post 12-28-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaryGuy (Post 3248672)
I think ur missing the point. I don't want to wait and sit and do nothing for an hour. As far as the fleet goes, I personally don't have the time for fleets...but whatever the reason is, I would like to see better PUGin.

His point is valid on joining a fleet. That will solve your problem on people dropping out. Unfortunately that has always been a problem in pugs in any MMO and will remain a problem even with an increase in puggin population. But I still get your point. And it's not so much "better" puggin' but more abundant puggin' or more of a pool of people to choose from as well as more of a streamlined system of finding people who want to run an STF. So how do you get more people to run the STF's?

Fact of the matter is the Borg set was like a shot of adrenaline into the STF's. But adrenaline is short lived and soon you will need more. Once most of the puggers have successfully ran infected they will not run it again. There is no reason to unless you super uber love that instance. Already we are seeing this pool of available puggers dry up. What cryptic needs to give is a reason to run these over and over. For example introduce our Android BoFF through these STF's. Make each STF drop certain body part/s. Once you collect them you can then assemble them at memory alpha using an expensive but authentic Noonian Soong schematic purchased from a Ferengi. Make these drops low so people will have to run them over and over and over to get these parts. Also make this drop only on the final boss so people will be encouraged to finish. This is just an example. I am not saying this particular idea is the one. But you get my point. People are not running these STF's because the storyline is AMAZING or even that they are incredibly fun. Don't get me wrong the story and fun factor is high. But even the best movie can only be watched so many times in a row. Cryptic needs to seed these STF's with super Rare but coveted loot and feats of accolades to get the people flowing through them. Right now they are like a mall without any shops. Time to get some tenants.

P.S. So you don't have time for fleets? But whether you want to or not, you apparently do have time to wait around for an hour only to find a group that drops out half way? Thats some strange time management my friend hehe. Seems a fleet might help you out a lot.

Archived Post 12-28-2010 12:23 AM

Being in a fleet does not make a difference, I can't tell you how often I have been in an STF and someone has had to leave and even when all the others are in a fleet, no one is on or able or willing to do the missions. Sometimes you just have to wait, that's one of the many short sighted problems the STF"s have.

Archived Post 12-28-2010 12:40 AM

Join a non role playing fleet. Just people on a list you can ask to run an STF together and you will see online around the same times as you. If your all the same level, then you should get better at STF's together. We run some of our fleetmates for first times throught STF's and only add on about 15 mins to the total time. They can be done and a fleet will tell and show you how to beat the mission with easy.

Archived Post 12-28-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapphicZoid
Being in a fleet does not make a difference, I can't tell you how often I have been in an STF and someone has had to leave and even when all the others are in a fleet, no one is on or able or willing to do the missions. Sometimes you just have to wait, that's one of the many short sighted problems the STF"s have.

True there is no sure fire way to guarantee a smooth run. Being in a fleet doesn't mean you're a pillar trustworthiness. However, your odds are better when coupled with a group of like minded people who all want the same thing. and Casual fleets are perfect for that person who wants to run these STF but hates the elitist attitudes that sometimes comes with joining a more hard core Fleet. Fleets usually also allow a means, via their web portal, to set up pre-planned runs, to actually plan a run and set up a time to meet. And if that fleet never seems to work out then its time for a new fleet. But Saying "being in a fleet does not make a difference", infers that every single fleet are worthless and populated with nothing but lazy lackeys. Sure some fleets are like that. But some are not. All I know is that even though there seems to be a few fun and dedicated players peppered throughout the PUG scene, this PUG non-fleet group for the most part seems to fit your view on "fleet life" nicely according to Scaryguy, so maybe giving the alternative might be an option to consider.

Edit: however keeping to the point of the OP my main post about how to seed the STFs with new and repeat players stands. Give us a reason to run them multiple times.

Archived Post 12-28-2010 11:17 AM

The topic of this thread makes Cryptics design of these missions look so pathetic its funny. I get people having to leave to do things irl, but whats funny is that with the STFs people generally drop because the 4 to 6 hours time they took to complete the mission is up and they are no where near complete.

If at least the missions where engaging instead of being boring and bland...

Archived Post 12-28-2010 11:41 AM

Allow me to try and clarify one more time, since this thread has been derailed twice since my OP. I do not wish to ask if there are other options to PUG's, if fleets are worth joining or what we could do to increase STF traffic. My annoyance is with accepting a STF mission and not being able to accept the same mission of a different level. I do not wish to exploit ne loot, I do not wish to run the mission once and complete both versions at the same time...what I do wish is that if I lose a team during one version...that I can go out to sector space and not wait around for someone that has the same exact version. I would like to accept the other version and play that. The game can already tell which version you are on, in that it scales enemies accordingly, so why can't it tell if you completed one version of the mission or the other and give loot accordingly? My suggestions were mere suggestions toward such an annoyance, getting rid of multiple versions all together, STF queue and such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikoy
His point is valid on joining a fleet. That will solve your problem on people dropping out.

This does not solve people dropping out. You are lowering your chances because of a greater resource of personnel, but even fleet members need to rest. If you can get in a fleet that can run a STF in 45 mins, that's great, wish I could join, but I can't, cause I don't have the exact version of STF that you do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikoy
What cryptic needs to give is a reason to run these over and over. For example introduce our Android BoFF through these STF's. Make each STF drop certain body part/s.

There are already rare drops in the STF that are enticing us to run them. The are the purple very rare's that everyone would like to equip themselves and BOffs with, and it is an alternative to farming marks/emblems. If you are talking about a very unique item, we have those as well in the form of borg ship parts. That's a quite a number of times you are enticed to run the STF. If you're looking for longer amount of time to be 'enticed' to run a STF, then I agree that maybe some loot should not drop every run. But I don't agree to adding android BOff parts to STF's just for the sake of running them a few more times. What happens when he get all the parts then, does Cryptic keep adding loot to the current STF's or do you want them to add more STF's in general. Maybe the android BOff can be loot for a new STF. But alas, I derailed.

Archived Post 12-28-2010 11:58 AM

There should be two versions as long as the loot in a RA run is for RA only. Don't see why this would cause an exploit problem.

Having to drop the other version is rediculous. You should be able to have both in your quest log.

Sorry if I derailed your thread. I was trying to suggest a solution to the root of the problem which is people frequently dropping out. Not the symptom which is having do a whole new run.