Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Level Design (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=195807)

Archived Post 01-01-2011 08:28 PM

Level Design

Only been playing for a month and already amazingly annoyed at the simplistic design of the away missions in terms of their physical layout.

Its clear that no real thought has been put into the design of the zones and how that impacts the feel of the game playing.

It seems that almost every single level involves walking down a hall or path, killing groups of enemies and then moving on. There's no real need to think about tactics at all and while I know its only a game, sometimes that becomes all to obvious.

I'd like to see more variation in the terrain - choices to be made about what corridors to go down, what paths to take or whether its worth going across terrain.

I'd like to see a little more sophistication in how enemies react to my presence. It can be as simple as enemies raising an alarm right across a base I'm trying to get into, but to prevent players being swamped those further back at least acting like they're holding the line or something. Its kind of embarrassing to be able to walk up to within firing distance in open terrain without them reacting at all.

It'd also be nice of the missions were tailored to whether you were tactical, engineering or scientist and presented with finding different solutions to the same problem.

Archived Post 01-02-2011 01:39 AM

Do you have experience with level design as a designer or "just" as a player? Either way, you now have the chance to show them how it's done via The Foundry on Tribble. http://www.startrekonline.com/foundrywalkthrough

Of course, you can't generate free-form maps just now in the Foundry, but you might still be able to make something better then the standard examples Cryptic has created just by placing some objects and NPCs a little smarter.

Archived Post 01-02-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randommoment (Post 3258352)
...Its clear that no real thought has been put into the design of the zones and how that impacts the feel of the game playing.

It seems that almost every single level involves walking down a hall or path, killing groups of enemies and then moving on. There's no real need to think about tactics at all and while I know its only a game, sometimes that becomes all to obvious.

Personally, I think that's more a symptom of STO having been designed as an MMO rather than a story-based single-player RPG. Most MMO's I've played have this basic design to them, Go to XXX kill 5 YYY, interact with A,B,C and DING! That's how MMO's are at least in my experience. I'm still waiting for an MMO that will break this formula.

Archived Post 01-03-2011 04:12 AM

true ...*signe

they transformed the beautiful misterious missions from ST series into grinding the same mobs (3 frigates or one cruiser) or scan 5 items :(

I did lots of exploring missions and they are only 4-6 patters, and sometimes they add fog (ground) or asteroids (space), is all that random creating content system do ...

I quit STO before Season 1 and returned now after S3 and is the same grind :(, true they added lots of new features and system but the content is the same as in every MMO ..shame ..:( ...Hopeing after S10 will have something to do extra

Quote:

Originally Posted by randommoment (Post 3258352)
Only been playing for a month and already amazingly annoyed at the simplistic design of the away missions in terms of their physical layout.

Its clear that no real thought has been put into the design of the zones and how that impacts the feel of the game playing.

I'd like to see more variation in the terrain - choices to be made about what corridors to go down, what paths to take or whether its worth going across terrain.

I'd like to see a little more sophistication in how enemies react to my presence. It can be as simple as enemies raising an alarm right across a base I'm trying to get into, but to prevent players being swamped those further back at least acting like they're holding the line or something. Its kind of embarrassing to be able to walk up to within firing distance in open terrain without them reacting at all.

It'd also be nice of the missions were tailored to whether you were tactical, engineering or scientist and presented with finding different solutions to the same problem.

Archived Post 01-16-2011 01:07 AM

they have this peice of software that copies the exact same mission and map ove r and over again. all they do is change the profile and scripts for the story and edit the content to suit the races and sector the mission is in.

thats right they just make multiple copies and edit them!!! lame isnt it. no no its really lazy and really cheap.

Archived Post 01-16-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordOfPit (Post 3258670)
Personally, I think that's more a symptom of STO having been designed as an MMO rather than a story-based single-player RPG. Most MMO's I've played have this basic design to them, Go to XXX kill 5 YYY, interact with A,B,C and DING! That's how MMO's are at least in my experience. I'm still waiting for an MMO that will break this formula.

try eve- online it has some of that, but the game has a far far more sinister purpose behind, like nothing any other mmo has ever done before and its epic.

the onyl reason the game some of that because some people need the familiar turf to enable that transition into a game with no hand holding involved.

handholding = npc's giving you directions and telling you what to do and where to go, eve lets you make your own mind up and do exactly what you want.

i think sto should be takeing some pages out of eves book.

Archived Post 01-16-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream-Weaver
they have this peice of software that copies the exact same mission and map ove r and over again. all they do is change the profile and scripts for the story and edit the content to suit the races and sector the mission is in.

thats right they just make multiple copies and edit them!!! lame isnt it. no no its really lazy and really cheap.

You seem to be describing the exploration content. The Genesis system basially seems to work like that.

But you won't find that in the regular story missions.