Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Cryptic Answers PvP (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=196543)

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:04 AM

Cryptic Answers PvP

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstahl
A: This is a tough subject because there are those who love PVP and those who don't. Looking at the Star Trek Online playerbase, I don't forsee a future where we ever move to a completely open PVP architecture. What I do see are opportunities where we can make Open PVP areas a part of the Story and allow players to play out scenarios where they make sense. My gut says that you'll see more planned PVP contests before you see open world PVP.

Unlikely that I'll ever see them. I doubt anyone will see open world PvP in StO as anything other than a vague promise intended to keep the Pro-PvP players subscribed. Based on this comment, I don't foresee a future where I ever renew my STO subscription.

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roxbad
Unlikely that I'll ever see them. I doubt anyone will see open world PvP in StO as anything other than a vague promise intended to keep the Pro-PvP players subscribed. Based on this comment, I don't foresee a future where I ever renew my STO subscription.

Open World PvP means different things: some feel instanced games should have open areas, other have a more purist definition where you should be able to fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. I believe that latter is what dstahl was referring to as being unlikely to happen while the former seems very likely/

Of course, I have no idea without further clarification from him.

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:23 AM

darren is right open pvp could mean many things.

so you could be flying through sirius minding your own business then get attacked by some klingon players. (assuming you both flag yourself for pvp, or your both using a pvp instance.) this is what many people view at open pvp.

the other option is that they rope off an entire sector block and anything goes within the block only. possible with multiple star systems that change who controls them.

the final option is to just use a few systems like ker'rat and just let any player enter and anything goes within that system. no queues or anything.

dstahls comments are cryptic (pardon the pun) so whilst i believe we will see a form of open pvp that does not mean it will be the one everyone thinks it to be, but i think we will see one.

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:29 AM

I don't see why we can't have both. Allowing players to decide what they want. Flagging themselves for Open PVP or not. If you're flagged then you're open to attack or free to attack others who are flagged if not then you're safe from attack are are unable to target and attack others. Seems straight forward to me. Wouldn't a system like that make everyone happy. Those that think it is a terrible idea don't flag themselves and game play continues as normal. Those who thinks it is a grand idea can flag themselves and they get the game play they want.

Ideas to help prevent exploitation. As in ganking someone then unflagging yourself. Once you're flagged and attack someone or are attacked you remain flagged for 30 minutes. Or some variation of that.

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:37 AM

Isnt this how it was in SWG?

You could choose if you wanted to be attackable or not.
There were no "pvp-servers" if I am not mistaken.

Enable the PVP and fight other players
Disable the PVP and every players leaves you alone.

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawkorrr (Post 3271042)
Isnt this how it was in SWG?

You could choose if you wanted to be attackable or not.
There were no "pvp-servers" if I am not mistaken.

Enable the PVP and fight other players
Disable the PVP and every players leaves you alone.

I believe so. Many of SWG's servers were unofficially designated RP, PvP, etc. but I don't recall them being flagged anything in particular.

However, Open PvP means many things to many people. Some associate it only with ganking and wild-west rules, some associated it with slightly more controlled security in EVE, while others feel only certain areas should be open / queue-less.

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:45 AM

I really want open PVP in STO. What I mean by open PVP is a sector with open PVP systems you enter to have open PVP. Not fighting in sector space since you can't do that now. I thinking asking them to change the way sector space works is unrealistic. It would also force PVP on players who don't want to do it.

Not that I would want to flag and just fight anywhere. That just gets old fast, choosing when to enter PVP and having where it doesn't impose it on those that don't want to PVP. Is a much better option and more realistic. Because most people don't want to PVP and there is a lot of people who are just casual PVP'ers.

I hope we get a sector with open PVP in the systems. Where those who want PVP all the time can have it. Those who don't want to PVP get it imposed on them.

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Englebert
I really want open PVP in STO. What I mean by open PVP is a sector with open PVP systems you enter to have open PVP. Not fighting in sector space since you can't do that now. I thinking asking them to change the way sector space works is unrealistic. It would also force PVP on players who don't want to do it.

Not that I would want to flag and just fight anywhere. That just gets old fast, choosing when to enter PVP and having where it doesn't impose it on those that don't want to PVP. Is a much better option and more realistic. Because most people don't want to PVP and there is a lot of people who are just casual PVP'ers.

I hope we get a sector with open PVP in the systems. Where those who want PVP all the time can have it. Those who don't want to PVP get it imposed on them.

**** yeah. Someone get this man a Guinness and fly him down to Cryptic to make sure this gets done.

Maybe a few more warzones that aren't bugged?

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor

However, Open PvP means many things to many people. Some associate it only with ganking and wild-west rules, some associated it with slightly more controlled security in EVE, while others feel only certain areas should be open / queue-less.

I get that. And truthfully I am not a huge PVP fan. I'd spend most of my time not flagged in an open PVP environment like I described. And there lies the simplicity and beauty of a system like that. It is your choice. And that choice makes it work for almost everyone. Chances are if you're flagged for PVP then a ganking is something you most likely will be expecting or at least except it as part of the nature of the beast. It just seems completely logical that simply giving the player the choice is the best way to go. Just like the difficulty slider.

Also even in this environment or not, I love the idea of areas where you're auto flagged.

Archived Post 01-08-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikoy
Also even in this environment or not, I love the idea of areas where you're auto flagged.

At least give us something where we're not spawning on top of each other (like Ker'rat) or that's hopelessly bugged by PvE content (like Ker'rat). ;)