Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Idea about Borg (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=197601)

Archived Post 01-17-2011 09:10 AM

Idea about Borg

Borg should be terrifying. A Borg cube is something that a starship can't take on alone. Yet, we routinely take on Borg during single-player missions. On ground missions, Borg are dispatched like every other race.

Maybe, in space missions, we should only come across and destroy Borg ships up to sphere level. A new scenario could be developed, where we take on a huge Borg cube just like the Crystal Entity scenario (it would require several ships working in absolute coordination to destroy it). It would look like the opening fleet combat scene on Star Trek: First Contact.

On the ground, I propose this for the Borg: the first wave should be extremely easy to destroy (one or two shots). The second wave would be harder, the third about as hard as the usual generic bad guys. The fourth would be hard (about as hard as the difficult setting). The fifth would have fully adapted: it would be invincible. The trick would be that the Borg would be slow, and would not fire ranged weapons, but their melee attack would be devastating. They'd look like mechanical zombies. Mission objectives would not be to "kill all Borg", but to interact with consoles, steal tech, reach a point where we can blow everything up, ect.

I really think that a lot work must be done to the Borg. As they are now, they are NOT the Borg we love to hate.

Archived Post 01-17-2011 09:34 AM

be funny if they could adapt if only for awhile to a certain type of weapon (ie immune to phaser weaponary for 30 seconds... a bitl ater... immune to polaron etc.)

Archived Post 01-17-2011 09:35 AM

A starship can take on a Borg Cube alone.

about 1:20 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsqhZ...eature=related

Archived Post 01-17-2011 10:25 AM

Problem is that the first contact was 20? 30? years ago (in game time). Starfleet know that Borg are real threat, so they didn't sit in their offices and play Dabo or Jamjot but they develop technology to fight with Borg and to protect Federation ships.

Archived Post 01-17-2011 10:29 AM

You have to count in 2 things

1. It has been 30 years since the Borg was last seen, Starfleet is stronger than before.

2. The attack made during Endgame set the Borg back 30 years, which means that if you take that into account, the Borg we are facing now have just reached the technological point they where back during the late TNG-era. Which means that while the Federation has gotten stronger, the Borg has just healed themselves from that battle. So Starfleet has technically passed the Borg.

I would like to see them be able to adapt to our weaponry (as a resist buff).

Archived Post 01-17-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie
A starship can take on a Borg Cube alone.

about 1:20 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsqhZ...eature=related

First off, those cubes are maybe 1/6 the size of the Cubes from First Contact or Wolf 359.

Second, Voyager has been improved by technology from the future, from a future where the Federation had to deal with and fight the Borg numerous more times between 2377 and 2403.

In canon, the Federation has only recently come again against the Borg. They were off doing who knows what for the past 30+ years.

What's more, that's from Voyager, a series in which the writers butchered the Borg canon as a way to keep Voyager alive.

But I agree with the OP, and as I have said in many other threads, the Borg need to be terrifying again.

Archived Post 01-17-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdidy (Post 3288843)
You have to count in 2 things

1. It has been 30 years since the Borg was last seen, Starfleet is stronger than before.

2. The attack made during Endgame set the Borg back 30 years, which means that if you take that into account, the Borg we are facing now have just reached the technological point they where back during the late TNG-era. Which means that while the Federation has gotten stronger, the Borg has just healed themselves from that battle. So Starfleet has technically passed the Borg.

I would like to see them be able to adapt to our weaponry (as a resist buff).

No, the Federation has not passed the Borg technologically. While the Future Janeway may have destroyed Unimatrix One, that is just one focal point for the collective. Originally the Borg were invisioned as an Ant colony. With the introduction of the Queen, they became more like a bee hive. In both cases, the death of the queen does not always mean the end of the colony. Often, a new queen rises(is born or hatched) to replace the previous queen. The Borg may have suffered a major setback, but they are far from being defeated. I suspect that the collective waited to lick their wounds, and make a different plan of attack. Nominally, that is just what happened between the first and second Borg Incursions (2366-7,2371-2).

Also, the Heavy Tactical Drone does have an effect that makes energy weapons useless for a short time. It happened to me several times on both "The Return", and "Assimilation".

Archived Post 01-17-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katic (Post 3289638)
First off, those cubes are maybe 1/6 the size of the Cubes from First Contact or Wolf 359.

Second, Voyager has been improved by technology from the future, from a future where the Federation had to deal with and fight the Borg numerous more times between 2377 and 2403.

In canon, the Federation has only recently come again against the Borg. They were off doing who knows what for the past 30+ years.

What's more, that's from Voyager, a series in which the writers butchered the Borg canon as a way to keep Voyager alive.

But I agree with the OP, and as I have said in many other threads, the Borg need to be terrifying again.

the books have done far far worse :P

Archived Post 01-17-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katic (Post 3289638)

Your point being?

I illustrated where one ship can take on a borg cube and where is it stated there is a size difference?

Isnt this the future? Havent we improved havent they improved?

Voyager pretty much "one shot" them while it takes us alittle longer.

Even if cannon has been butchered we are living in it now, look at all the other cannon issues that are going on.

Warp 13 sure it was in AGT but that was a Q created universe warp is not supposed to be faster than warp 10 except when it is being butchered.

Archived Post 01-17-2011 09:10 PM

Some things have to be changed to make the game playable. If one Cube could take on a whole fleet, then you'd have no chance. Likewise, your Galaxy-X Dreadnought can not one-hit a Negh'Var.

If you can think of a way to make encounters winnable, fun, and appropriate to canon then that'd be fantastic. Until then, I see it as the best compromise at this time.