Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Tool: Demo Player for STO Available for Download (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=198721)

Archived Post 01-26-2011 02:42 AM

Tool: Demo Player for STO Available for Download

Hi folks,

got tired of fiddling with shortcuts and the command line to play back demo files. So I did this little app, that should make life easier:

Star Trek Online Demo Launcher 2.9.6

Installation: You need Microsoft .Net Framework (at least version 3.5) to run the tool. Other than that, no installation is required.

Firewall settings: As of v 1.8.0 StoDemoLauncher wants to check with the sourceforge-server for updates every six hours (the first time directly after applicaton launch). If you do not want that, you can safely block its request using your firewall. No data is submitted, except for what the http protocol requires to download the current version information on this page. If a newer version of StoDemoLauncher is found, you are asked, if you want to visit the download page on sourceforge. That is all. You can safely block StoDemoLauncher with a software firewall and won't loose no functionality other than the auto-update. Since 2.9.0 you can disable the feature entirely in the Tools->Options menu.

Help
Vanity
Disclaimer: Be prepared for bugs. And backup your demo files! The tool is not developed, endorsed, supported, or affiliated in any way with Cryptic Studios, so please don't bug them about it. Also, use this at your own risk! I tested it with Win XP 32-Bit and Win 7 64-Bit and encountered no problems. But if you do, and it blows up your computer, that will be your problem and your problem alone ;). If you want to redistribute it, feel free to do so. I'm releasing it to the public domain as a birthday gift to the STO community. If you want to look at the source code, you can do so here.

I'd be glad to hear some feedback, bug reports, and feature requests.

Regards,
Rachel

P.S.: Thanks to CaptNeo, who setup the project at sourceforge.

Archived Post 01-26-2011 03:13 AM

Wow thanks, I won't be able to check this out for 10 hours or so, gotta get to work now. But I'm gonna be looking forward to getting home:):)
heh gonna be checking this trhead all day for updates.:D

Archived Post 01-26-2011 09:01 AM

Version 1.1 changelog:
  • "Start" button is disabled, when no demo can be found or no demo is selected
  • Fixed a bug, where STO could be started from the "Tribble" tab, when no demo in that tab was selected
  • Added trademark and copyright info to the file signature

Regards,
Rachel

Archived Post 01-26-2011 11:48 AM

Cool app, Rachel!

I was wondering, would you be willing to put this info on the Starbase UGC site as well?

Archived Post 01-26-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davejl_99 (Post 3307744)
I was wondering, would you be willing to put this info on the Starbase UGC site as well?

I sure can, but since demorecord does not work for Foundry content, it did not occur to me to post it there. I rather thought about writing a short manual/guide for stowiki. But if there is interest, I sure will cross-post on starbaseugc as well. :)

Regards,
Rachel

Archived Post 01-26-2011 02:57 PM

I think I'm in love.

Archived Post 01-26-2011 03:00 PM

Hi RachelGarrett,

If you've watched STOked you'll see we use a bunch of Demo recorded game shots in every episodes, Jeremy and I are going to give this a shot. This could be a big help for us, thanks much!

There seem to be more and more little issues cropping up in Demo record, so it's great to see something like this come along, Demo Record is such a powerful tool, and this will make it even better! :D

-Chris

Archived Post 01-26-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris-Fisher
If you've watched STOked you'll see we use a bunch of Demo recorded game shots in every episodes, Jeremy and I are going to give this a shot. This could be a big help for us, thanks much!

Hi you two, great show you do! The math segment on the sets was awesome, thanks Borticus!

It's basically the same reason/motivation here. I use demorecord extensively to take pictures for stowiki.org. I found that I frequently forget to process recordings, since there is no easy way to load them in the player. Please report any bugs you encounter, so the tool can mature.

Regards,
Rachel

P.S.: It was Jeremy's math segment that broke the ice between demorecord and me. So many thanks for that! What goes around comes around :).

Archived Post 01-26-2011 05:33 PM

Version 1.2 is up. Changelog:
  • Added file info box at bottom of window
    • Displays the map name (an internal engine name, but you'll have some idea)
    • Displays the duration of the recording
    • Displays the name of the player character in the recording (if there are multiple player chars in the recording, it will be an arbitrary name from the recording)

The info is extracted from the plain text of the demo file. You can look it up yourself, if you open the file in a text editor. Hence the limitations with regard to the map and character names. The map IDs will be hard to translate to the in-game map names, but maybe I can figure out, which character is the right one, if there are several to choose from (probably need to figure out where the camera is looking at...).

Regards,
Rachel

Archived Post 01-30-2011 10:53 AM

Version 1.3 change notes:
  • When the list box has focus, you can hit enter to run a demo
  • When STO is already running, you are prompted to confirm that you want an additional instance before running another demo.

Regards,
Rachel