Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Cut-Scenes in "The Vault" (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=200505)

Archived Post 02-05-2011 03:54 PM

Cut-Scenes in "The Vault"

Hi,

no big critique at all, the mission was immensely immersive, and the VO work was really great! Loved every second of it.

I was just wondering, why there were no cut scenes. The opportunities were there: Entering/leaving the Vault, facing off with the Mogai, incoming reinforcements, the Thalaron explosion.

Out of curiosity: Was it a conscious reason to not include cut scene, or was it a matter of resources?

Regards,
Rachel

Archived Post 02-05-2011 03:58 PM

the only thing i can think of really (assuming they just decided not to do it for some reason) is that cut scene tech is something they have only just started using.

the vault may have been made before the new cut scene tech was available and they did not have time to go back and add it in.

im kind of hopeful some of the later eps might have it. if not, series 4 really should have it.

Archived Post 02-05-2011 04:01 PM

possibly to play more, watch less.

The cutscenes in Azura were pretty long and I wish they'd only been used on optional objectives, rather than bulking up the whole mission with "I don't get to play anymore" moments.

Of course, what I said is heresy. :)

Archived Post 02-05-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor

would you like to be crucified or burned?

Archived Post 02-05-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
would you like to be crucified or burned?

Crucified. I've always wanted to re-enact Life of Brian.

Not a big fan of cutscenes where you're not doing anything but watch the computer control your character and dialogue being put in his/her mouth.

It's a step down from quick-time events - which I don't like either.

Archived Post 02-05-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Always look on the bright side of life...

Archived Post 02-05-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Not a big fan of cutscenes where you're not doing anything but watch the computer control your character and dialogue being put in his/her mouth.

It's a step down from quick-time events - which I don't like either.

i must admit i do like an option to skip cut-scenes if you dont want to see them but i personally think there is a great opportunity to see events unfold 'off screen'.

id love to see it switch to a room as the camera pans around to reveal a reman, then another walks in and they have a conversation about all their evil plans revealing a little more plot and motive.

or even just an epic rotating view of the vault as you enter the map.

or as you exit some cinematic trailer as your ship escapes whilst being shot at and explosions and stuff happening in the background. id love all that stuff.

Archived Post 02-05-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i must admit i do like an option to skip cut-scenes if you dont want to see them but i personally think there is a great opportunity to see events unfold 'off screen'.

id love to see it switch to a room as the camera pans around to reveal a reman, then another walks in and they have a conversation about all their evil plans revealing a little more plot and motive.

or even just an epic rotating view of the vault as you enter the map.

or as you exit some cinematic trailer as your ship escapes whilst being shot at and explosions and stuff happening in the background. id love all that stuff.

an option to skip cutscenes would be nice.

If done right, they can really enhance the game. However, I'm not a fan if they're intrusive to the gameplay.

If you take, Mass Effect, for example - the cutscenes tend to be more interactive with dialogue choices and actions for your character.

STO's are well-used in optional objectives but anything beyond that seems like it's breaking the gameplay portions up more than its contributing to them.

It's an interactive medium first, for me. :)

Archived Post 02-05-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

The cutscenes in Azura were pretty long and I wish they'd only been used on optional objectives, rather than bulking up the whole mission with "I don't get to play anymore" moments.

I kind of agree. But I was expecting some, because I was under the impression that it is the new "standard" (hence, the remastering), and was wondering, what happened to change their mind.

Regards,
Rachel

Archived Post 02-05-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

I absolutely agree with this. Most of the cutscenes in the Azura mission, and the entire sequence in our transporter rooms, were wasted time that after the first time (and for that matter, during some of the first time) I wish I could have skipped through.

Cutscenes that are actually good, maybe. But not the examples we have so far.