Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   The Vault: Good ST storytelling, but too short (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=200617)

Archived Post 02-06-2011 07:35 AM

The Vault: Good ST storytelling, but too short

Overall, the mission was a success in design and JHeinig's storytelling. The use of shuttlecraft was an awesome plot device, and alot of fun against fighters in the station. However, way way too short. Why did they build a huge new station (I think it's new, might be old; hopefully we will see more of that) to create a mission that is easily finished in 15-30minutes.

It's stuff like this that is killing the potential for any kind of rebirth a year in. Since dstahl said they have less than 200 at Cryptic and the majority on STO are for content design now, I hope that longer more detailed missions playable at any level appear more frequently.

Archived Post 02-06-2011 07:40 AM

How do you know we won't be in that station again for one of the 4 episodes to come?

The mission took me about 30 minutes to complete, and thats because I took my time, looked around at the amazing art work, and read all of the dialogue carefully.

Archived Post 02-06-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrys (Post 3335638)
Overall, the mission was a success in design and JHeinig's storytelling. The use of shuttlecraft was an awesome plot device, and alot of fun against fighters in the station. However, way way too short. Why did they build a huge new station (I think it's new, might be old; hopefully we will see more of that) to create a mission that is easily finished in 15-30minutes.

It's stuff like this that is killing the potential for any kind of rebirth a year in. Since dstahl said they have less than 200 at Cryptic and the majority on STO are for content design now, I hope that longer more detailed missions playable at any level appear more frequently.

Di you forget that:

1) This mission is only 1 of 5 in the series?

and didn't you think that:

2) Since Romulans are the next faction to be added (supposedly after Klingons are fleshed out) that that station might be a preview of what you'll see when the faction goes Live?
3) Same with the other things shown in the mission?

Yes, Cryptic has a small team (210 according to LinkedIn) - that means that, withplayers denanding various fluff all the time, that work goes exceeding slow over there on actual content like faction content. To me, the design of the Vaiult tells me that they HAVE been working on Romuland as a faciton, and that what we see (and have seen inthe Romulan update) are previews of what to expect when the Romulan faction goes Live, whenever that may be.,

Archived Post 02-06-2011 08:00 AM

Well it took me about 30-40 minutes to play it. I carefully read and listened to all the the dialogue. I made sure to investigate all the optional missions and I just took my time in the station. In fact the only real time I tried to bum rush my way through was at the when I was escaping with about 50 scorpion fighters on my back.

My thing about weeklies is this. Don't rush, would you fast forward through a new episode of Star Trek?

Archived Post 02-06-2011 08:04 AM

I doubt this mission is the last we'll see of the Vault. ;)

Archived Post 02-06-2011 08:04 AM

That's why i prefer monthly over weekly. I'd rather wait a few weeks than playing for 30 mins.

Archived Post 02-06-2011 08:41 AM

It took me around 45 minutes, which is the expected length of a Star Trek Online episodal mission.

Archived Post 02-06-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sath (Post 3335716)
That's why i prefer monthly over weekly. I'd rather wait a few weeks than playing for 30 mins.

Please don't hold yer breath till then....

You'll be extremely Blue...!

For the average player 30 to 45 minutes per mission is apparently just about right...

...as that seems to be the length of time the Dev's have been making each of these special ones.

It took me about 40 minutes to finish this one... but I too spent several minutes just looking around in each new chamber. :eek:

Archived Post 02-06-2011 08:49 AM

When u debrief with DeSoto he doubts that it's the last we will see of the Vault.

But i admit, the mission was very short. Tho i am still leveling i can imagine when u are at endgame u really wait for new episode's and it really feels extra short when u waiting for new content and ur done with it in 15 minutes.

But hey im just a captain, im going back to level ;)

Archived Post 02-06-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrys (Post 3335638)

Good points, and one reason why redesigning the starbase at Earth could have waited and those hours put into more and more content and races to play.

However, the game is going in the right direction, albeit a little slowly, but it was worth buying a lifetime yesterday :)