Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Feedback on stuff i could pay for on the C-store... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=201109)

Archived Post 02-09-2011 02:14 AM

Feedback on stuff i could pay for on the C-store...

KEEP THE THREAD AS CIVIL AS POSSIBLE!

Seeing as i have been aggressively against the C-store i figured i'd try to provide some feedback on stuff i would want to be willing to pay for.

And part from the usual "extras" like XP boosts and respecs, namechanges etc i'd very much like to see "adventure packs" similar to what we have in Champions Online.

Now one could argue that we have that in the form of weekly episodes.

Well, yes and no. The episodes are for the most part pretty fun but they are so very very short, usually not taking more then half an hour to complete, and then its back to wait another week for another half an hour mission. A long adventure back or 5 would give us something to do while waiting, maybe even add a faction to fight for with added vendors that sell half useful half fluff items.

So what i'd like to see is properly long missions that takes a few hours to complete with a mix of space and ground combat, like the serpent's lantern adventure pack in CO (obviously has no space combat but you get the point i'm sure). That one takes roughly 3 - 4 hours to complete solo in one sitting.

So i figured i'd try to create a thread where we post stuff we could be willing to pay for, but please try to avoid mentioning stuff already on it other then as examples. Because if it's already on the C-store, you mentioning it wouldn't add anything :)

Now i'm well aware of the upcoming foundry and the content we will get from that, but we can only produce stuff WITH stuff already in the game, the devs can create something truly new :).

And again KEEP IT CIVIL! There is enough whine threads going on for you to post in if whining or complaining is all you will do. So lets see if we can provide a thread the devs actually want to keep reading.

Archived Post 02-09-2011 02:53 AM

I do believe that most of the players in STO do not have 3-4 hrs to complete one mission. The fraction of players who can devote long periods of times to games is very small. The reason they added the XP bonus was because the vast majority of players are not above captain yet with their first toon. What your asking for would be something for more hardcore gamers who dedicate time to the game. Would buying these adventures (for the small percentage) produce revenue for the time spent creating them. Not sure the time length it took Gozer to remaster Azura episode. If it takes a week ( guesstimate) to produce 1- 1 hr long adventure. Then something that takes 3 to 4 hours would take an entire month to make. The dev team is not huge and everyone has set schedules. I don't see this being a wise investment of Dev time.

Archived Post 02-09-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrykerV
I do believe that most of the players in STO do not have 3-4 hrs to complete one mission. The fraction of players who can devote long periods of times to games is very small. The reason they added the XP bonus was because the vast majority of players are not above captain yet with their first toon. What your asking for would be something for more hardcore gamers who dedicate time to the game. Would buying these adventures (for the small percentage) produce revenue for the time spent creating them. Not sure the time length it took Gozer to remaster Azura episode. If it takes a week ( guesstimate) to produce 1- 1 hr long adventure. Then something that takes 3 to 4 hours would take an entire month to make. The dev team is not huge and everyone has set schedules. I don't see this being a wise investment of Dev time.

just to point out the adventure packs in co take several hours but they are broken up into smaller missions so you dont have to do them in one sitting. you can log out in between each break and have your progress saved. remember every change from ground to space in sto is saved, so even in individual missions when you do one part, then its done and you dont have to go back unless you drop the mission.

i think what the op is saying take one of the featured series as an example. 5 eps that will probably like you 3-4 hours to complete, but its broken up into parts so you dont have to do it all at once. he just wants it released in one go.

the devs have said they wont put actually missions onto the c-store but personally id pay for them. if it gets me more content quicker then im all for it, but i totally understand why others would hate the idea, and its probably not a good idea to do that as most people dont think along the same lines i do.

when the foundry goes live i also want to see mission slots up for sale so i can buy more missions slots as i intend to make loads (assuming you cant earn them in game for free, which is more ideal) but i like the option to have them easily accessible via the c-store too.

Archived Post 02-09-2011 08:19 AM

I think the Devs said that mission content would not be for the C-Store. That might be something for a potential Free2Play account, but not for subscribers. The subscription should pay for more then just a running server...