Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Reverse engineering loot? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=201217)

Archived Post 02-09-2011 05:53 PM

Reverse engineering loot?
 
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?

Archived Post 02-09-2011 05:57 PM

Can you reverse-engineer a cup of coffee back into the water, milk and coffee grounds, all separated? I believe it would take nothing less than a chemical laboratory to do it. Growing more coffee beans and milking more cows and is far easier and more economical. Same could be said for anomalies.

Archived Post 02-09-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis (Post 3344529)
Can you reverse-engineer a cup of coffee back into the water, milk and coffee grounds, all separated? I believe it would take nothing less than a chemical laboratory to do it. Growing more coffee beans and milking more cows and is far easier and more economical. Same could be said for anomalies.

I think a Centrifuge would do just that actually. Unless the milk and water have some kind of chemical reaction to the coffee grounds.

Archived Post 02-09-2011 06:10 PM

Thats pretty much what you do with the trash loot in Champions Online - its not a bad system, might add some more depth to it.

Archived Post 02-09-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 3344523)
This isnt my idea, but its one I like. Its nothing complicated either, simply have an option to reverse engineer loot we may not want for anomalous components. I would imagine you wouldnt get the exact same amount of components required to build a brand new item, but maybe 75%?

This was brought up before with a slightly different tangent from a thread about the XCOM research system. Mister Stahl posted in the thread and seemed to like the idea as something that could be tied into the crafting system.

I'm in favor of the general idea myself.

Archived Post 02-09-2011 06:43 PM

They can reverse engineer many things in Trek. They're recycling technology can work on most stuff. Not Latinum and stuff (non-replicatable materials).

Archived Post 02-09-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis (Post 3344529)
Can you reverse-engineer a cup of coffee back into the water, milk and coffee grounds, all separated? I believe it would take nothing less than a chemical laboratory to do it. Growing more coffee beans and milking more cows and is far easier and more economical. Same could be said for anomalies.

Except anomalies aren't just coffee beans and cows you can grab from the local nursery or farm; they're anomalies because they're not common. ;)

Archived Post 02-09-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Thats pretty much what you do with the trash loot in Champions Online - its not a bad system, might add some more depth to it.

It would not only add more depth to crafting, it would make crafting materials a little bit cheaper, too, since they'll be a lot easier to come by.

Archived Post 02-09-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Parallax
They can reverse engineer many things in Trek. They're recycling technology can work on most stuff. Not Latinum and stuff (non-replicatable materials).

They reverse engineer your poo into the food you eat via the replicator.

Archived Post 02-09-2011 08:35 PM

Consider me /signed. I think diminishing returns based on rarity of the source item would make the most sense. So an uncommon item would yield more data samples than a common, rare more than an uncommon, etc.


Z


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 AM.