Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Do you link photos you find without permission? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=201444)

Archived Post 02-10-2011 08:11 PM

Do you link photos you find without permission?

Photos, pics, whatever...

A lot of websites don't like this. People link up their photos and eat up their bandwidth. Then they make a big deal sometimes about people "stealing" their photos and linking them without permission onto other websites (like this one :) ).

I think it's stupid. And by "it" I mean complaining about it. As someone who's a web designer I figure it's just a fact of the internet. There's nothing unethical about linking something you find in a public place (the internet) somewhere else as long as you don't take credit for it, aren't purposefully killing their bandwidth and it's not something like a Comic book which is out there for the money (stealing)!

A lot of websites try to protect from it and largely fail. I say stop trying. If it's online it's fair game. :)

Archived Post 02-10-2011 08:14 PM

Yousa talking about everyone linking to pictures on Ex Astris Scientia?

Archived Post 02-10-2011 09:09 PM

Not specifically but it's a good example.

Archived Post 02-11-2011 12:22 AM

I personally try not to. If I'm linking a picture, it's either one of my own creation or hosted with permission from the original author, and it's in my Photobucket album.

Archived Post 02-11-2011 12:28 AM

if you mean do i go onto google and type a name in, then link the first picture i see then yes i do.

if people dont like it they should not leave their pictures all over my internet connection.:rolleyes:

Archived Post 02-11-2011 12:37 AM

I'm with Revo on this one. I take no credit for what's in the photo and it illustrates or underscores my point. It's like making a collage for a social studies class in high school. Besides they should be happy for the increased awareness of their material or product. At least that is the way I see it.

Archived Post 02-11-2011 02:07 AM

It's against forum rules to deeplink images without hte user permission.

However, most of said images are extremely hard to find on the page their embedded in....

Archived Post 02-11-2011 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGDawson (Post 3348110)
It's against forum rules to deeplink images without hte user permission.

However, most of said images are extremely hard to find on the page their embedded in....

Deep link? Now there is some lexicon I am unfamiliar with. I use FireFox so I can right click the image and select "View Image" to only post the image. If that is a foul I would like to know. :confused:

Archived Post 02-11-2011 02:39 AM

The only link for photos is the one in my Signature and i tool them from my home in Sydney, and BTW plase leave comments, as i take good quality photos ill post them :P :) :P :) and BTW its blooming hard they move like lightning, so i can waste 50 minutes in a set up, on other days they lounge around and i can get easily a few dozen shots but only worth to them is the memories of the green army.

please enjoy my work :)

Archived Post 02-11-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piwright42 (Post 3348140)
Deep link? Now there is some lexicon I am unfamiliar with. I use FireFox so I can right click the image and select "View Image" to only post the image. If that is a foul I would like to know. :confused:

I use firefox too, so you can simply right click the image and click "copy image location". Dummy. :p

"Deep Link" means you're imbedding the image without linking the site (i.e. bypassing the page it's on)