Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Serious Action Bar & Keybind issue (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=201576)

Archived Post 02-11-2011 02:44 PM

Serious Action Bar & Keybind issue

When setting up my action bar after getting a new ship, I went into the options menu -> Key Binds tab to set a couple of abilities to my backward, and forward mouse buttons.

While there I noticed that actions 9-12 are listed as being bound (by default) to keys 9, 0, -, = respectively. However the action bar only displays 1-8 (with options for control + 1-8, and Alt + 1-8). Just out of curiosity I tried pressing the 9, 0, -, = keys and each one activated one of my ships abilities. In fact pressing one of the keys activated my XP Booster, when I had no intention of doing so! :eek:

What's so crazy about this is that I have no way (that I know of) to assign actions 9-12 (keys 9-'=') to specific abilities. It's simply randomly filled in (like the rest of the action bar when you get a new ship) by the game, and I have no control. What about in combat? What if I mean to press 8 and press 9 instead and some ability or item gets activated at the wrong moment. It could mean the difference between victory and defeat. In the case of the XP Booster it could cost you money! :mad:

This is bizarre and needs to be fixed ASAP. Preferably by having the option to extend the action bar (which would be most appreciated) to show actions 9-12. Otherwise they should at least be shut off if they can't be controlled by the user.

Archived Post 02-11-2011 04:29 PM

There are I believe three different options for the action bar the third one has 3 rows and is wider than 8 across so you can see the abilities bound to these but yes I do wish with the 2nd option (which is 2 rows of 8) and your BO abilities there was a way to have it extended further across.

Archived Post 02-12-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris5626 (Post 3350156)
There are I believe three different options for the action bar the third one has 3 rows and is wider than 8 across so you can see the abilities bound to these but yes I do wish with the 2nd option (which is 2 rows of 8) and your BO abilities there was a way to have it extended further across.

The three rows show the actions linked to keys 9 and 0, but even then the abilities 11 & 12 bound to '-' and '=' respectively are still invisible and can't be changed by the user. Again this is crazy! Please Cryptic allow us to change the size of the rows and assign all the keybinds.

Archived Post 02-13-2011 03:41 AM

You can change the size of the rows with console commands to for example 12 slots/line. Problem is that the system doesn't allow you to drag stuff into slot 11 and 12 in any way. So resizing alone does no good.

Archived Post 02-13-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendra37 (Post 3354850)
You can change the size of the rows with console commands to for example 12 slots/line. Problem is that the system doesn't allow you to drag stuff into slot 11 and 12 in any way. So resizing alone does no good.

Interesting. Sounds like something Cryptic never got around to implementing. Regardless it's high time they did now.

When you press escape and click the Rearrange HUD button it lets you move stuff around but for some of the controls (like the action bar and the chat window for example) it should let you re-size them as well. And speaking of the Rearrange HUD, why can't I select multiple items so that I can move them as a group?