Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Debating on getting lifetime. few questions. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=202013)

Archived Post 02-13-2011 04:44 PM

Debating on getting lifetime. few questions.

I'm debating on getting the lifetime subscription, but i have a few questions. I love the game, even the ground combat which i hear not everyone likes, but what i'm wondering about is how the game has changed up till now and how quickly it's changing. feel free to reply however you want but here's 3 questions i'm mainly conscerned with.

1. right now they're releasing a new mission every week. how often do they do this?

2. getting a group together for STF's is a bit annoying sometimes, what has the trend for player base been? increasing? decreasing?

3. where do you see the game 20 months from now?(mainly a question for people who've played since beginning and have a better view of how the much the game as changed thus far)

Archived Post 02-13-2011 05:07 PM

1) There is no set schedule. It has been a few months since the last one, but that is because there was the Season 3 patch and the anniversary event to. They plan on doing at least 5 this year.

2) STFs are actually easier now that the Borg set is a reward. However if you join a fleet (cough join mine cough) it'll be easier.

3) I see a game that feels much more like the televesion series. Travel from our bridges, a realistic exploration system, and so much more.

Archived Post 02-13-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingeras-kurai (Post 3356171)
1. right now they're releasing a new mission every week. how often do they do this?

This is the third "series" that they've done. Sometimes there's a few weeks worth or down-time between each series, but the gap between the Devidian series and the current Romulan one was longer because of the dedication to getting Season 3's code completed, launched, and then tweaked.

Quote:

2. getting a group together for STF's is a bit annoying sometimes, what has the trend for player base been? increasing? decreasing?
STF's are getting completely reworked, so patience is going to be a virtue there. Until then, consider looking for a fleet which does regular runs of each STF. For example, in our fleet, Project Navras, you basically only have to ask in fleet chat and within 20 minutes, you've got a full group of people who know all the tricks.

Quote:

3. where do you see the game 20 months from now?(mainly a question for people who've played since beginning and have a better view of how the much the game as changed thus far)
This game still has a few flaws, but compared to what it was a year ago, it's almost not at all the same game. They've made some considerable progress,and some of the "cosmetic" changes are foundation work for upcoming changes in the future.

In my opinion, a Lifetime Sub is a great investment because the game is constantly improving, and the subscription base keeps going up. I've done Lifetime and it's been one of the best investments I've made in a video game in a long time.

Archived Post 02-13-2011 05:14 PM

I think Stahl said their target is to get out around 20 featured episodes this year. With the exception of downtime for Foundry preparations, I'd say it's probably realistic to expect a batch every other month or month and a half.

One thing they are getting better about and developing tools for is to have SOMETHING new every week. This will be a mix of Featured Episodes, Featured Episode "Reruns" (a reward for completing a specific mission, once they have more backlog), Remastered Episodes, and Foundry Spotlight (where they take four or five Foundry missions and give them a big push with a "Cryptic Tested and Approved"-type stamp).

I think there may be a gap again between this series and the next but I think they are building up tools so that there's something every week, even if it's just a spotlight on player made missions or an incentive to re-play an old mission.

Archived Post 02-13-2011 05:15 PM

1. That is tough to say, I would expect to see more featured seres every couple of months but that schedule may be disrupted by other big updates they add to the game, which may or may not have episodes of their own on release.

2. The STF missions were always designed for a group of close people who could depend on each other to work through the STF missions without someone quitting or dropping out, they really were never meant to be friendly for random groups. That being said another update soon with revamp the STF missions to be more friendly to random groups, a few ideas were thrown around and you can probably find more info about it by looking up posts by Cryptic_Gozer.

3. The continued improvements to STO have really blown me away, I bought a lifetime subscription at lanuch and haven't regretted it since. There have been a ton of changes and content added to the game since launch and the game is much improved since that opening "teething" period. I only see STO continuing to go up from here and due to some server load issues recently a lot of people seem to be coming back or sticking around with STO this time around. :)

If you have the cash and plan on peaking into this game for the long haul I suggest picking it up. I really enjoy not paying a monthly fee and not feeling like I have to play to get my monthly monies's worth. Its a big gripe with me so that coupled with the progress of the game makes the Lifetime worth it to me.

Archived Post 02-13-2011 05:56 PM

answered above, but to add to this with the foundry hiiting holodeck in the near future content wise and story wise the potential is endless, having played neverwinter nights for seven years, I am a firm believer in what user generated content can add to a game's life cycle

answer found above, however there has been mention of a difficulty slider that would allow smaller teams to do stf's

3. where do you see the game 20 months from now?(mainly a question for people who've played since beginning and have a better view of how the much the game as changed thus far

Having played since the open beta till now all I can say is if I had bought the lifetime back then I'd be laughing now.
the game 20 months from now is probably going to have a third faction, a terrirtoy control pvp system and enough foundry content to collapse a star.
the main selliing point to me is the dev interaction with the community, thus we are seeing the game we want to play, not having some remote person decide what we are going to get, and having to live with it.
Taking the last two weekley episodes and looking at how much more they improved over the first episodes of other series and it's a testament to a hard working dev team that has started to use all the tools of a fairly flexible engine. Not only that but the writing is engaging as well.

Buy the lifetime, it's one purchase I can honestly say I feel good about everytime I log on.

Archived Post 02-13-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Each series runs for 5 weeks or "Episodes"
Breaks between series last from one month to two months.
Quote:

STFs are a mess but the number of players at endgame ahs increased.

Hopefully, more high-end content and a instance finder-equivalent are added (dstahl mentioned both are slated for Season 5).
Quote:

20 months from now, the game should be in a great state, assuming current trends hold their course.

For me:
  • STO at launch was a 6/10
  • It's now a solid 7/10
  • 20 months is enough for it to be an 8 or 9.

Archived Post 02-13-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

I'm debating on getting the lifetime subscription, but i have a few questions. I love the game, even the ground combat which i hear not everyone likes, but what i'm wondering about is how the game has changed up till now and how quickly it's changing. feel free to reply however you want but here's 3 questions i'm mainly conscerned with.

Alright, I cant exactly answer your concearns, but what I can tell you is that for me lifetime has saved me the worry of ever having to pay again. Another benifit is when I get bored with the game, I can walk away from it and it will still be there when I get back and I can continue where I left off.

Really its all about how you yourself feel, if you enjoy the game, but maybe not all of the time and you might want to log in from time to time then Id say go for it. If you are a regular player and play the hell out of the game and in the end want to save some money, id say go for it.

Im sorry if my answers arent the greatest, I just thought that my view might be of help. :)

Archived Post 02-19-2011 11:04 PM

ty everyone, bought the subscription :).