Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   The Phantom Torpedoes Return to PvP (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=202653)

Archived Post 02-17-2011 11:32 AM

The Phantom Torpedoes Return to PvP

Not sure if anyone noticed, but Phantom Torpedoe kills have made their return in the past few days.

Being hit with super crits by somebody that is 30km away, who happens to be on somebody else? (Meaning not being killed while being jammed).

Its bad enough PvP is so ridiculously imbalanced right now, but now the old bugs are returning.

Archived Post 02-17-2011 12:25 PM

I haven't noticed any phantom torpedoes any sorts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azurian (Post 3366092)
Its bad enough PvP is so ridiculously imbalanced right now, but now the old bugs are returning.

Elaborate, please.

Archived Post 02-17-2011 12:31 PM

Minimax must be back in his B'Rel again...

Archived Post 02-17-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azurian (Post 3366092)

I think he means another one of his whine threads claiming the TER is OP and needs nerfing.

Archived Post 02-17-2011 01:03 PM

I'm not sure torpedoes or cannons actually fire a projectile, or if that is just a graphical representation of the weapon. It could be that they just apply damage to a target after a delay in time. This is why you can not ever out run a torpedo. If it has been fired at you, it will hit, and will do damage. This would also be why torpedoes hit the shield arc that is facing whoever fired it, not the arc that the torpedo actually hits.

Torpedoes which generate a target-able projectile, like Tricobalts, would be an exception to this rule, as they actually spawn an object.

Archived Post 02-17-2011 01:16 PM

I have seen it a few times. You evasive out of combat, cloak or whatever and then bang you are dead because a torp you cannot see has hit you when you are well out of combat. Evidently torps are graphically glitching or something that makes them invisible but instead of increasing miss chance they are as deadly as if you were in the middle of battle except now you cannot see them and are caught unawares. I have had this happen to me to the extent it dropped me out of full impulse when chasing a target.

Archived Post 02-17-2011 01:18 PM

I remember those.

Disembodied power hits you for 60000 points damage?

Archived Post 02-17-2011 01:22 PM

Can't say i have noticed much PvP imbalance at all.
Only players with varying skill levels and those that know teamwork and those that don't.
Also have not noticed any phantom torpedoes at all as of late.

Archived Post 02-17-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roach (Post 3366289)
I remember those.

Disembodied power hits you for 60000 points damage?

bingo, feds besides the defiant find it as nuisance but most cloakable ships have a pretty good chance of being killed.

Archived Post 02-17-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
I'm not sure torpedoes or cannons actually fire a projectile, or if that is just a graphical representation of the weapon. It could be that they just apply damage to a target after a delay in time. This is why you can not ever out run a torpedo. If it has been fired at you, it will hit, and will do damage. This would also be why torpedoes hit the shield arc that is facing whoever fired it, not the arc that the torpedo actually hits.

Torpedoes which generate a target-able projectile, like Tricobalts, would be an exception to this rule, as they actually spawn an object.

I think that's pretty much the underlying issue. The animation and the damage are not really strongly linked. If a torpedo gets fired and doesn't miss, it will hit, you can't outrun it, and the torpedo animation might or might not be in sync with the time you receive damage.