Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Remans: Misunderstood Normal Guys or Genocidal Maniacs? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=203153)

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:20 PM

Remans: Misunderstood Normal Guys or Genocidal Maniacs?

I am a bit confused. So, Obseik is angry because the Romulans have been hunting down and killing Remans. If my memory serves correct, didnt we have a mission which pointed to the Remans being behind the whole Hobus supernova and the resulting destruction of Romulus?

I remember reporting as much to Admiral T'nae at one point. Given how the Tal'shair intercept just about everything, it is possible that they know as well.

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapTrott (Post 3372756)
I am a bit confused. So, Obseik is angry because the Romulans have been hunting down and killing Remans. If my memory serves correct, didnt we have a mission which pointed to the Remans being behind the whole Hobus supernova and the resulting destruction of Romulus?

I remember reporting as much to Admiral T'nae at one point. Given how the Tal'shair intercept just about everything, it is possible that they know as well.

Different Remans. The ones you're thinking of are actually allied with the Tal Shiar and Praetor Taris. In other words, there are actually 3 different factions within the Romulan empire.

Empress Sela's faction
Praetor Taris' faction (which the Tal Shiar supports)
The Reman Resistance (Obisek)

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:26 PM

That would be Praetor Taris. But anyway, the Remans are just as diverse as any other species, some like genocide, others donīt. :cool:

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashur1
That would be Praetor Taris. But anyway, the Remans are just as diverse as any other species, some like genocide, others donīt. :cool:

You're right. They did make her a Praetor didn't they. I forgot.

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:29 PM

Different or the same Remans, Obisek's sitting on a stockpile of thalaron weapons. He called it a small stockpile today, but it only took a little palm sized device to wipe out a large room and Shinzon planned to use one smaller than what we saw in the Vault to wipe out a planet. And that one at the Vault wasn't destroyed.

If he's a misunderstood normal guy, he's a misunderstood normal guy who collects doomsday weapons as a side hobby. And if a misunderstood normal guy remains misunderstood long enough, a genocidal maniac just might be born.

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapTrott (Post 3372756)

Because every member of the species must have been in on it, right? :rolleyes:

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squidheadjax (Post 3372778)
Because every member of the species must have been in on it, right? :rolleyes:

People just like labeling things and putting them in convenient little boxes, so they donīt have to think anymore. :D

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevach (Post 3372777)
Different or the same Remans, Obisek's sitting on a stockpile of thalaron weapons. He called it a small stockpile today, but it only took a little palm sized device to wipe out a large room and Shinzon planned to use one smaller than what we saw in the Vault to wipe out a planet. And that one at the Vault wasn't destroyed.

If he's a misunderstood normal guy, he's a misunderstood normal guy who collects doomsday weapons as a side hobby. And if a misunderstood normal guy remains misunderstood long enough, a genocidal maniac just might be born.

Yeah, I thought that was amusing as well. "A small stockpile". I mean how much of the stuff did they take before we arrived on the seen? I know that we destroyed that Warbird which had a lot of it aboard. I presume they got away with a lot more than that.

He had planned to use the stuff on a Romulan mining colony that housed a secret Tal'shair base. That would have killed all of those innocent Romulan miners that seem to be in no different of a situation than he claims his Reman people are in. We were able to go in with just two Starfleet officers and destroy the Tal'shair base and yet he has hundreds of Reman soliders and they cant do the same without the use of weapons of mass destruction?

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:46 PM

Obisek is just very desperate. He's being backed into a corner, and with anyone backed into a corner with their species on the line things are going to happen. The Tal Shiar are trying to re-enslave the Remans, or kill the ones that fight back. In my mind, the Tal SHiar are pretty evil and I won't condone Obisek for resorting to it. As long as it's only military he use's it against.

Archived Post 02-19-2011 06:58 PM

Incoherence ahoy!

In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to be acting in-character. I mean, I was initially going to go along with the idea that the Remans were just being a bunch of genocidal *******s, but Obisek's references to the Iconians threw me for a loop. I thought no one knew about them except me, a few Starfleet admirals, and the Romulans/Remans who blew up Hobus. Given that the Iconians seem to be literally behind <i>everything</i> in the Federation campaign, I figure that it'd probably be a good idea to find someone who knows just what the hell they're planning and how far they've infiltrated other governments.

But...yeah, leaving Obisek with his thalaron weapons was a bad call on my part. On the other hand, I don't know how I'd get them from him without starting a firefight. I suppose Obisek could've done the classy thing and formally sought asylum with the Federation and voluntarily offered to hand over the weapons. However, since I didn't have a small armada to dissuade the Tal Shiar or the ability to get Obisek's people out of Romulan space post-haste, I don't even think that solution would've worked.

Man, being a starship captain is hard. Maybe I should look into that admin job on Starbase 375 Dad was telling me about...

BTW, is it possible that Obisek's people were the ones doing the grunt work on Hobus, and now the Tal Shiar has decided to shoot the workforce to cover their tracks?