Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Trolling and you (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=203540)

Archived Post 02-22-2011 08:52 AM

Trolling and you

I won't sticky this for long, but I DO hope some of you will take to heart what I need to post here this morning.

We have currently a few posters who break the rules by attacking other posters breaking the rules or toeing the line. You guys, you MUST stop that.

If you see someone post and it:
  • Makes you angry
  • Makes you feel upset
  • Makes you think unpleasant things
  • Makes you think: HE IS BREAKING THE RULES,
  • Makes you hit reply and actually frown or giggle with glee while typing
...chances are you have happened upon a successful troll.

And I do mean the verb troll here, not the noun.
See, to troll means fishing for something. Either with just a fishing rod on a boat or even with a whole net dragged behind a boat. The idea is to throw some bait out and wait for nibbles and bites.
The moment you nibble or bite, the trolling was a success.
In other words: You lost the game.

If you see something that upsets or offends you: Hit the report button.
That gives it to the moderation team. We'll check what is happening in the thread and we'll take action if needed. We will not discuss with you what precisely happens, but we will check each reported posting.
Do not reply.
Do not quote.
Report and move on.

Report, you say? What witch craft is this?
Easy: You will see, if you logged in, that next to each poster in their posting is a small triangle with a red rim and a red ! inside. Using that opens a report window. You can even enter there why you reported it, such as "This guy is talking about Blah, which is just wrong" - and the mods will get this message.

Trolling back, flaming, being rude - all of these will just lead to YOU getting an infraction. And we do not care "who started it". You guys are all mature enough to know that excuse stopped working a couple of years ago as you all grew up. :)

Thanks!

Archived Post 02-22-2011 08:56 AM

When people try to control the message though rules, it makes me think unpleasant thoughts and makes me angry

Archived Post 02-22-2011 09:00 AM

This is a good post. However, if people actually did what you told them, a mod staff wouldnt be needed in the first place :D

Archived Post 02-22-2011 09:06 AM

I agree Grand Nagus, this is a good post.

I hope that Cryptic will keep up their end by actually moderating posts/posters when we hit the report button.

Archived Post 02-22-2011 09:10 AM

Moderation does not automatically equal to bans. That's something that simply needs to be understood as well.
Moderation can also mean: A staffer reads. A staffer checks the rest of the thread and posting history involved. A staffer takes NO action. Moderation means we will check. Not we will ban because someone said $*#!?. I know that a lot of forum goers think the only way to moderate is to ban every tiny offence... but you'd be amazed how empty the forums where if we did. ^^

Nagus:
I'd not mind if the Moderation Staff had more time to read the threads and get information out of them for the Developers to check out... because the more we/they have to check in to moderation, the less time we/they have to deliver feedback. I think the tradeoff would be a nice one, no? :)

Archived Post 02-22-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WishStone
Nagus:
I'd not mind if the Moderation Staff had more time to read the threads and get information out of them for the Developers to check out... because the more we/they have to check in to moderation, the less time we/they have to deliver feedback. I think the tradeoff would be a nice one, no? :)

Oh, dont misunderstand, I think it would be great if it worked out that way. I'm just saying(mainly as a joke but still) that the fact that you need to post this when it has already been explained before really only goes to show people dont do what you tell them :p

Archived Post 02-22-2011 09:15 AM

So.... ehm.... *looks around*
Hi guys....

Okay I promise to be nice from now on... :o

Archived Post 02-22-2011 09:16 AM

If people did what I told them to, I'd have MUCH more chocolate around me! ... >.>

Oh narf... *edits the OP* Yes, forgot to write how to actually report something, as some people may in fact not know!

Archived Post 02-22-2011 09:17 AM

I don't believe that I, or anyone else, ever said that forum moderation only equals bans.

However, according to your system it only takes 5 infraction points to receive the first temporary ban. So it does make one wonder why some people have had their posts edited by the moderation staff literally dozens of times, without ever receiving so much as a temporary ban.

Yes, I can keep track too.

Anyway, I believe that I've made my point and won't belabor it further.

Archived Post 02-22-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon (Post 3378231)
However, according to your system it only takes 5 infraction points to receive the first temporary ban.

I thought it was 7?

EDIT: It's between 5 and 9, serves me right for not reading the infraction policy. But then I've never needed to, I'm far too nice to get an infraction :D